Should I buy a 750?

SimpleSimon

Reaction score
As per the title really!?

I'm looking for a bike to do everything. Mainly local rides on days off, commuting in good weather (only about 10 miles of mostly rural roads) perhaps the odd short tour and the occasional long motorway drag. Something easy going when it's a case of covering the distance on dual tracks and motorway, but still entertaining on the back roads with the capability to shift along if needs be. Not for two up work. I'd love a big GS or similar big adventure tourer, but it has to live on a fairly cramped driveway. Also budget would allow for a new (or new-er used) 750 compared to the age of bigger bike.

Is the F750GS the bike of choice?

I get the impression they're a bit... Dull?

Pal of mine has probably had 8 bikes from Nc700’s to 1250 GS over the last 5/6 years.

Currently has a Africa twin and a NC750. Recons the 750 is the most versatile bike he has ever owned. He has gone for the automatic and on a recent ride I was averaging 67 on my f700GS he was getting 92 mpg !

I'm enjoying my 790 Duke. The 790 Adventure R could be a replacement for it at some stage

I've looked at the KTMs, but it's a pricey beast compared to the beemer... I did consider the 390 adventure or Duke but that would rule out any distance work.

I went from a 1250 to a 750, and I absolutely love it. I’m a bit short in the leg so the lighter weight was the primary reason, but I prefer it overall. There’s no doubt a 1200/1250 is a better long distance bike, but the conventional forks on the 750 feel much more lively and connected to the road, at the cost of a little smoothness. Everything else about the 750 feels identical to the larger bikes - riding position, controls, etc. The engine is up to the job (like you I don’t ride 2-up) and if you wind the revs up it’s got plenty of go. The gearbox, and especially the quick shifter, is miles better on the 750. The first thing everyone does is change the screen, the BMW option is ridiculously expensive but there are plenty of good option by Puig, Givi, MRA etc. Everything else - engine bars, luggage racks, etc are similar to the 1200/1250. If you have vario cases you can use them on the 750.

They are great value for money, I sold my 1250 and bought a brand new 750 with every option ticked, fitted it out with all the farkles and still had a wedge of cash left over.

I get the impression they're a bit... Dull?

Is it dull ? Or does it just do the job faultlessly ? BMW nowadays lacks any quality in the build of there bikes and personally I’d much rather spend 8k on a Honda than 10k on a BMW which will just let you down from very early on.

I’ve had three GS’s, apart from a squeaky exhaust flap on my 1250 I’ve had zero trouble from any of them. I tried everything in that class and the BMW was the only one that felt like a quality product, everything else felt built down to a price.

Dull? I don’t think so, but go and have a decent test ride and decide for yourself.

I thought the early ncx 750 was a tad better than the newer version. great machines and highly underestimated

I'm enjoying my 790 Duke. The 790 Adventure R could be a replacement for it at some stage

Good for you but what has that got to do with the OP asking should he buy a 750 GS ???

He didn’t ask what random bike he should buy between 700 and 1000cc, otherwise he wouldn’t have specifically posted in the GS 750/850 section !!

The OP asks whether he should buy a 750 GS and immediately people start going on about KTMs and Hondas !
Got to love this forum .

I had a F750GS that needed a new engine. Nice bike with very poor forks (non ESA). So I would recommend an ESA bike and hope the better rear shock sorts the front out. That said, the V Strom 650 and NC750 are better bikes.

Good for you but what has that got to do with the OP asking should he buy a 750 GS ???

He didn’t ask what random bike he should buy between 700 and 1000cc, otherwise he wouldn’t have specifically posted in the GS 750/850 section !!

The OP asks whether he should buy a 750 GS and immediately people start going on about KTMs and Hondas !
Got to love this forum .

If you look at the title he actually asks if he should buy a 750.

I have just switched from a Versys 650 to a 750GS a few months ago and with the exception of the hopeless standard screen haven't been disappointed yet. A with all bikes much depends upon what you want to do with it and your physical attributes size height, weight etc and the types of ride you will be doing. I bought a basic model with added TFT and Vario panniers and luggage grid. Still getting to grips with the ride mainly odd ball rear brake position but currently loving the additional 9hp over the Versys. Had mine on the Motorway a few times now and it will cruise quite nicely even with the luggage on, love it on the back roads too.

If you look at the title he actually asks if he should buy a 750.

That's true, but this is the forum for the F750/850GS. Really it was the GS I was asking about. Other suggestions are welcome but there's a strong likelihood (like with the Honda and KTM) that I've already looked and decided against.

Still, always good to hear other's thoughts!

I've looked at the KTMs, but it's a pricey beast compared to the beemer... I did consider the 390 adventure or Duke but that would rule out any distance work.

I rode my 390 Duke from home to and around the Alps and back with a friend on his 1260 Multistrada. It was great and kept me out of prison.

Perfect for French N & D roads and around the mountains

Back
Top Bottom