Poor Route Entry Criteria - NAV VI

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If you know the postcode and the street name, but the destination doesn't have a number you can't enter the street name - instead the NAV chooses a street for you

Many places don't have a number, and postcodes areas are quite large once you get out of the city, so you can be in the postcode, but not where you want to be :mad:

Am I missing something?

UK post codes cover quite a small area in reality, even in the wilds. If you want to see a huge area, try a French one.

I no longer have a Navigator VI but isn’t the method (I’m using my XT) the following:

Home Screen > Where to > Address > Post Code > Enter post code > Enter house number (you don’t have one, so just hit Done) > Search Results > Hit ‘i’ (for information) > Map will pop up > If it looks about right > Hit Go. You can skip the ‘i’ stage if you like and just hit Go.

I have just used the same method on my Navigator V, where it works, too. I am pretty sure I would use the same method on my Navigator VI, were I to still own one.

I have just tested this method to get pretty close to my sister’s house (it’s a farm in rural Warwickshire) which has a post code but no actual house number or even a street name.

As a further test, I also plucked Walton Miniature Railway at random off the internet, simply as it has no house number. Its address from its website is:

HALTON MINIATURE RAILWAY Town Park, Palace Fields, Runcorn, Cheshire. WA7 6PT

By putting in just the post code and following the method above, I was able to get close enough.

I was also able to get pretty close to this address, plucked at random from the internet as it has no house number:

Woodland Trust. Registered office: Kempton Way, Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG31 6LL

And this one, plucked at random from the internet again, simply as it has no house number.

The Fife Arms hotel, Mar Rd, Braemar, Aberdeenshire, AB35 5YN

Based on those tests, it works. As usual, play around, you can’t break it. It’ll give you confidence that (more often than not) it will work.

PS
Give it any old number:nenau
I have used that method too, in the past.

Thanks.

Here's my example.

I wanted The Royal Oak, Station Road Brandon.

Entered the postcode CV8 3HR - recognised

No number so I entered 1

No option to enter a street name (unlike every other nav I've used over the years)

It came up with Avondale Road, Brandon and no other options.

Avondale Road is 1/2 mile away from The Royal Oak - not much use - so I had to get off the bike and ask for directions.

In any number of situations, that's less than ideal.

Pressing the info button doesn't offer any additional help.

The ability to enter a street name seems a basic idea to me :nenau

Out of idle curiosity I tried searching for the Royal Oak on a Zumo 350: a different device but from the same stable. No joy with the postcode but searching for the Royal Oak as a POI near Brandon, West Midlands found it. Firing up BaseCamp and Google maps appears to explain the problem. Google maps shows Station Road and the Royal Oak. BaseCamp has Station Road labelled as a continuation of Avondale Road although it does show the Royal Oak in the same place as Google Maps.

That is odd, not least as the pub / restaurant is listed on the Garmin database.

That being said, Garmin’s database shows the position of the pub as being near enough on the corner of Brandon Lane and Avondale Road, whereas the section of road where the pub sits is actually named Station Road (not Avondale Road) on the junction with Brandon Lane.

Station Road is not very long, quickly becoming Avondale Road where it crosses Main Street, just a few yards away. If Garmin’s map provider does not know that Station Road even exists, it follows that it cannot direct you there. It has simply done the next best thing by taking you to a section of road that it thinks is called Avondale Road (as that is what the map makers have called it) when in fact it is actually Station Road. Had the map makers known it is Station Road, not Avondale Road, there is a pretty good chance all would have been well and you’d have been directed to within a few yards.

I think you have done nothing more than hit on an unlucky example.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom