Siezed bolt before separating rear section

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided this weekend to start work on the rusty project bike where the cam rail guides have shattered in the engine, basic removal of basic parts has resulted in shapped bolts as there is a lot of rust on this 2005 RT.
So on Sunday I really prepared the way to remove the tail section of the bike but as usual there is always 1 bolt that gives me grief.

Looking at the attached the bolt in position 1 is rounded, basically the rust breaking away the exposed edges at the slightest amount of torque applied. Before I started on these bolts I applied a dismatling lubricant multiple times during the week and this particular one has now had heat applied as well as being tapped with a hammer.

So before I make the situation worse I've stepped back to decide on the next step. I do have a stud extractor set (Eaze outs) but I'm not sure that is going to be the right route, based on the other bolts that I did manage to undo I think the extractor is likely to break and perhaps present a bigger problem.

I try and make sure every tool I use is a good tight fit to prevent damage but sometimes the bolts or screws are to soft or rusty.

So I'm open to suggestion....using the right tool for the job, do I get reverse drill bits or some other tool? Tool brands are also important, I'd rather pay more for a good quality tool that will survive the operation and work than a chinese knock off. The colour photo has rotated during upload, its the middle hex.

What do you recommend?

Attachments

• Rear_Section.jpg
    Rear_Section.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Rsuty_bolts (Medium).jpg
    Rsuty_bolts (Medium).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 262
The usual for Torx bolts is to bray in the next size bit. Give that a go. Plenty of heat & penetrating oil.
While it still retains its shape, drive a centre pop to mark the middle. Makes it easier if you later have to drill it out.

The usual for Torx bolts is to hammer in the next size bit. Give that a go. Plenty of heat & penetrating oil.
While it still retains its shape, drive a centre pop to mark the middle. Makes it easier if you later have to drill it out.

As above but with translation from the NE parlance ... :D

Definitely impact driver, plus some heat, some more penetrating lube, and consider that the next size up Torx bit might well become sacrificial. Spot weld between the Torx bit and the bolt might also help - but it doesn't look like there's enough room there to do that.

Steel into Ali...use a lot of caution in trying to remove it or you will make it worse. Personally, if this has rounded off, get a Dremel, cut across the head to create a slot, and use a flat-sided bit and an impact driver BUT before you do, heat the ALI around it, then use the impact.

Hopefully picking up and Impact Driver today and order a few more Torx bits as they can be sacrificed.

I will apply heat and try not to burn the wiring loom in the process as you see from the picture its close. Limited access doesn't help as I'd like to get a little more heat behind.
The dremel is ready more penatrating fluid applied yesterday and today as well as some heat.

So currenly awaiting tool and torx bits

Hopefully picking up and Impact Driver today and order a few more Torx bits as they can be sacrificed.

I will apply heat and try not to burn the wiring loom in the process as you see from the picture its close. Limited access doesn't help as I'd like to get a little more heat behind.
The dremel is ready more penatrating fluid applied yesterday and today as well as some heat.

So currenly awaiting tool and torx bits

Make a ‘nest’ out of blu-tac or plasticine around the bolt and fill it with penetrating fluid so it’s sat in a puddle.
If using ‘sacrificial’ torx bits, don’t use cheap rubbish. I’ve had the end of a cheap torx bit shear off. Luckily I was able to pick it out.

With lots of Plus Gas and heat.....I guess you could say the first bolt is released from the frame :thumb

Using Blu-Tac to make a pool was a good idea but it just seeped out at the frame connection and didn't really go along the bolt.

When the engine is out I'll have more access to clear the broken stub.

Next will be the other side...just still applying more Plus Gas, will now have to be Friday's task.

Attachments

• 20220608_171215 (Medium).jpg
    20220608_171215 (Medium).jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 153
"Houston we have separation" :beerjug:

A couple of sheared bolts here and there but overall sucess. The next thing will be to move it onto something more stable and start on the process of separating the engine case....I'm sure this will be easier said than done :D

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 99
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom