Hot weather lid and jacket?

Like you, I'm Irish and do suffer in the European heat big time. I did a trip around Germany, Austria, Italy and Slovenia a while back at it got well into the 30's a few times. Got to the point where I was pouring water over my underlayer before zipping up and getting on the bike.

I wore a Revit Airwave suit, I think the current version is the Eclipse. Great bit of kit which was great in the heat. Lots of mesh but still had decent protection and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Rukka stuff. Get yourself a decent wicking underlayer and yer good to go. Pack a light set of waterproofs for when the rain does come and yer set for all eventualities.

After shopping around I went with FC-moto to buy the kit. Best value around that I could find, whole suit came to about €300 and I added in a level 2 back protector which cost another €30 or so.

The alpine tunnels are your friend - the air in there is lovely and cool and gives you a wee break from the heat.

Enjoy the trip - can't say I'm not mad jealous! :thumb2

For a totally different view. Mesh doesn’t work for me, dehydration happens too fast, even chucking down litres of water at every opportunity. I’ve used a Klim Badlands suit for the last 6 years in temperature up to 42c. Yes it is hot, it is 42c, but I’ve always been comfortable with a good wicking base layer. I also use a Macna Cool Vest. Drink out of the in built ‘camelback’ and dehydration has never been a problem. I wear a Schuberth C3 / C4, flows enough air when on the open road & flip up the front in town. Each to their own, takes a little experimentation to find what works for you.

I agree with the mesh point but not sure about the Badlands point. Yes, they’re well ventilated but it’s still like riding in a bin bag - just a bin bag with some holes torn it it. And after much more than a couple of weeks they get really smelly…

Utter crap .
The Neotec 2 has approval with the chin bar up or down and it’s fine with it raised at 50 + mph

No need to be obnoxious just because you have a different viewpoint. Please show the evidence that the Neotec has been passed legal to use then, and the test may well have been done on a bike with a large screen so the manufacturer could use the fact in advertising, they do things like that don't you know. But if you know different please share the data.

Keep it on track lads, OP wanted some advice on warm weather gear, not a thread populated with 'my daddy's bigger than your dadyy' chatter.

I am a Klim wearer and not the best in the heat, but don't have problems with vents open and good base layers or even shorts and tee shirt underneath.

The issue is more the heat when stationary/walking round and the Klim becomes a burden, so lock it away and do your wandering in your shorts and tee shirt. I don't use panniers, so tend to be ok with the trousers and just tie the jacket around my waist.

If I get to the stage of needing to soak my base layers in water etc., I just wouldn't bother going anywhere warm.

The problem with mesh is it isn't great when temps drop, whereas decent vented gear can work in different environments.

Helmet wise, the Arai Tour X4 has the best venting in any helmet I've owned.

I have a Neotec 2 and the Shark Evo.
For hot weather there's no comparison, the Shark is a far better option and my 'go to' helmet during the summer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wh...blog/2018/10/flip-up-helmets-and-the-law/amp/
4 years old but may still be relevant.

Alternatively
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...y owners of the,with a Protective chin guard…

"While many owners of the Neotec – including emergency services bikers – used to ride with it open, technically this was illegal, as the helmet was homologated for use only as a full-face. This has been addressed in the new Neotec II, so it’s now homologated to P and J – as a ‘Jet’ and with a Protective chin guard…".

Unfortunately body fat is a good insulator. Losing weight helps enormously. I’m also in favour of the camel pack approach, and drink plenty.

Being dehydrated makes us drowsy and makes for a poor ride. I don’t mind being hot, but drowsy on a bike is a bit of a no no.

I wear mesh....even in Ireland (if the temp gets over 15 or so)
If I'm only on a Sunday spin for a few hours, I don't even bother bringing waterproofs...... If you get caught in a shower you'll dry fairly quickly.

If in hot climates.....as mentioned earlier, just wet the base layers whenever stopped.

I now use a RPHA 90S which is homologated to use with the chin bar in the raised position (I would only ride like this in urban conditions/speeds)

Also, as mentioned earlier......in really, really high temps, it is best just not to ride in it (siesta baby)

Rev'it Airwave or Tornado suits do the job just fine (Tornado gets Level 2 protectors)

Would love to have the money from Klim or Rukka....but I don't......and Rev'it make fine gear

S20 5G sent this......

No need to be obnoxious just because you have a different viewpoint. Please show the evidence that the Neotec has been passed legal to use then, and the test may well have been done on a bike with a large screen so the manufacturer could use the fact in advertising, they do things like that don't you know. But if you know different please share the data.

You stated that riding a flip up helmet with the chin bar up was not legal.
I was merely pointing out that you’re wrong, as the Neotec 2 is J rated and it’s legal to ride with the chin bar up, a reason many people bought the helmet.
I’ve also ridden many different bikes with a Neotec 2 in Europe and regularly raise the chin bar when coming into a town or if it’s just hot .I wouldn’t ride with it up at 70 mph but it’s fine at 50 ish.
I don’t need to show evidence that’s it’s J-rated.You’re the one lacking in knowledge and then state wrongly that you can’t use any flip lid with the chin bar up.You do the research.
But I still wouldn’t recommend the Neotec 2 as the best hot weather helmet.
I’d just use my Shoei J.0, along with Rev-It Airwave suit, as also mentioned above.

lots of good advice there gents, particularly around keeping hydrated and the obvious - if it's too warm avoid riding in it!

rogerstansfield - dont need to hear about losing weight at 8am! lol

on a genuine point - i was a previous member of UKgser some years ago and restarted 18months ago as i bought another GS (hence my apparent long life low post count). the helpfulness in this thread is recognised and no one has slagged me off (yet).

Barry

Another suggestion...

Buy yourself an open face lid for this trip. I can recommend the Frank Thomas FTDV31 open face.
The visor is a multi position ratchet type and during bad weather the lowest setting sits below the
chin to keep the rain out. It also has a sun visor which slides down inside of the main visor.
It won't break the bank and could be shelved when you get home to rainy UK. I did this at first but
ended up liking it and have a nearly new System 6 at home which has sat dormant for the past few
years. Also, my FT even keeps the rain out in Manchester.:)

You stated that riding a flip up helmet with the chin bar up was not legal.
I was merely pointing out that you’re wrong, as the Neotec 2 is J rated and it’s legal to ride with the chin bar up, a reason many people bought the helmet.
I’ve also ridden many different bikes with a Neotec 2 in Europe and regularly raise the chin bar when coming into a town or if it’s just hot .I wouldn’t ride with it up at 70 mph but it’s fine at 50 ish.
I don’t need to show evidence that’s it’s J-rated.You’re the one lacking in knowledge and then state wrongly that you can’t use any flip lid with the chin bar up.You do the research.
But I still wouldn’t recommend the Neotec 2 as the best hot weather helmet.
I’d just use my Shoei J.0, along with Rev-It Airwave suit, as also mentioned above.

I acknowledge that I was misinformed and that it is not illegal but those legal bods and Dalton and White have these words of wisdom to consider.

So, in short. If you want to ride flipped-up the criminal law does not stop you. However, there are potential legal consequences. If you ride flipped-up and you suffer an injury or an exacerbation of an injury directly caused by being flipped-up (the obvious risk being to your jaw, but less obviously rotational forces generated to the neck through the raised chin piece) It could be argued, with some force, that your use of the helmet could amount to contributory negligence.

I have ridden with a flip helmet in the raised position and in my personal experience it was uncomfortable when reaching speeds of over 40mph due to the drag on the raised chin bar, hence I now only wear Shark Evos.

BMW cool down vest, the Americans had something similar for years.

https://www.bahnstormer.co.uk/product/cool-down-vest/

This revolutionary functional vest uses evaporation to keep you cool. When the vest is wet or damp, the HyperKewl system locks in the moisture and stores it for up to eight hours, providing a significant temperature reduction for the wearer.

Or make your own, you need polyacrylite crystals.

Helmet: BMW SYSTEM 7. Chin piece comes off and you have a super light helmet. Only minus is that you only have the dark inner visor which comes down to your nose level and is very thin. A clear one is £34. Love mine, the chin piece is off all the year around.

I have a BMW Comfort Shell suit for hot weather, no longer made but plenty on eBay. Worked well in Spain in August. Only ROKKER is using now C_change fabric.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mc-tested-bmw-comfort-shell-jacket-pants/

My friend is based in the South of Spain, he uses the Atlantis leather trousers (35C) and he recons they are brilliant. Cooler than his Kevlar jeans.

After a couple of days in 30+ degrees C heat in the Balkans, my input would be, careful on the colour of whatever you buy, as pleasantly warm in no sunshine is a completely different ball game to daylong sunshine.

I have a Revit Eclipse jacket and it’s great in warm weather.
I happened to spot a Knox Utility MKII, the one with the pockets, on their website for £115 so I bought it.
It’s snug, but it’ll be ideal when I go away for 4 weeks in July/August.
Next size up was twice the price. It’s the right size according to their size chart.

abc3d92c6521696afa9d1ebb63dd8ccb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the mesh point but not sure about the Badlands point. Yes, they’re well ventilated but it’s still like riding in a bin bag - just a bin bag with some holes torn it it. And after much more than a couple of weeks they get really smelly…

Not had that problem & fit is subjective, yes it loose and baggy but that helps the air move though and around. Wouldn’t wear it on s as sports bike but on a GSA or my current KTM 1290SAS, it great in hot weather. I even wear an Helite Airvest over the top and the vents still work great.

Most versatile gear I’ve ever had and with 6 years use & 45,000 miles it still in great condition .

I used to have a four seasons IXS Eagle suit which was good in all weathers. It had removable wet and warm layers and had openable mesh pockets on the front, rear, arms and shoulders really good in all weathers and great value for money, I will they still made them and a I was in need of a replacement.

Re the lid there are some good modular lids around, I used to have a BMW system 4 which could be and often was converted to open face in warm weather. On a a similar concept is the Nolan N70 2X and N405gt which will convert to open face with the removal of the chin piece, I will probably opt for one of these at the next change.

Back
Top Bottom