Hot weather lid and jacket?

When I went to Austria I used my Rukka Jacket. Strapped my Revit mesh jacket with bungees to my roll bag. If it was raining it didn't matter as I would be in the Rukka one. If it was hot I be in the mesh one and the rukka would be in the tent/hotel...No biggie to take 2. If it was raining and then got hot, Id have a water cooled mesh jacket...It doesn't alays have to look brilliant, just make it work for you. No points for style when you can't speak foreign

No need to be obnoxious just because you have a different viewpoint. Please show the evidence that the Neotec has been passed legal to use then, and the test may well have been done on a bike with a large screen so the manufacturer could use the fact in advertising, they do things like that don't you know. But if you know different please share the data.

Have to agree with arsey. Whilst it might not be your choice to wear a flip up lid with the face open and whilst it is a bit of a sail at high speeds, where exactly is is ILLEGAL? Maybe you could share that data?

I see you have actually responded to this.

Piss pot, T-shirt. Always wear jeans though just in case.

In 2003 I rode from Turkey to UK through the worst heat wave in Europe for decades. I recall stopping at French services at 8:30 in the evening and it was still 42degrees C!

At those sort of temperatures, you actually need to cover up. I wore a Tour X but couldn’t ride with the visor open because the air was burning hot. Water I was carrying became like bath water within 30mins of filling fresh but important to keep knocking it back. I wore my aerostich roadcrafter with vents open and the front zip 3/4 up and a lightweight ‘technical’ t-shirt + shorts underneath. I survived, but had to stop more often than I would have normally, and stank to high heaven when I got home!

Don’t forget, if it is really hot, think about where you park - even for short breaks. Nothing worse than getting on a searing hot saddle when you’ve left it in the sun for 10minutes! Also, don’t fill up to the brim and leave the bike in the sun… you’ll probably get fuel all over the place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a few days of 35+ heat I reckon that vents in anything need a mph rating, ie what speed then feel as if they're having an effect. The Oxford Hinterlands seem to need at least 50mph to feel useful. What the weather is going to do makes a difference. Today started off at 25c in Pula, rose to 33 near Udine and then down to 17c near Kitzbuhel in the rain etc, and then back to 32c in Munich. I'd have been demented putting on / off outerlayer waterproofs, doing up a few zips seemed much easier. Having a Hyperkewl vest helped in the hotter areas.

YMMV.

Not had that problem & fit is subjective, yes it loose and baggy but that helps the air move though and around. Wouldn’t wear it on s as sports bike but on a GSA or my current KTM 1290SAS, it great in hot weather. I even wear an Helite Airvest over the top and the vents still work great.

Most versatile gear I’ve ever had and with 6 years use & 45,000 miles it still in great condition .

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Badlands - I wore it from London to Beijing. I agree it is pretty versatile but after 3 months wearing it every day, it could have ridden the bike on it’s own. I also agree that it is better in hot weather than you would ever expect but as a choice for a hot-weather-only trip, it wouldn’t even make it onto my list, never mind the top of the list.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Badlands - I wore it from London to Beijing. I agree it is pretty versatile but after 3 months wearing it every day, it could have ridden the bike on it’s own. I also agree that it is better in hot weather than you would ever expect but as a choice for a hot-weather-only trip, it wouldn’t even make it onto my list, never mind the top of the list.

One of the things about living in the NE of England, there is never a ‘Hot Weather Only trip’ if it’s not cold and raining when I leave home it will be on the return. 😎🌧

After a few days of 35+ heat I reckon that vents in anything need a mph rating, ie what speed then feel as if they're having an effect. The Oxford Hinterlands seem to need at least 50mph to feel useful. What the weather is going to do makes a difference. Today started off at 25c in Pula, rose to 33 near Udine and then down to 17c near Kitzbuhel in the rain etc, and then back to 32c in Munich. I'd have been demented putting on / off outerlayer waterproofs, doing up a few zips seemed much easier. Having a Hyperkewl vest helped in the hotter areas.

YMMV.
Would you recommend the Oxford Hinterland??

Seems like great value.

S20 5G sent this......

rukka nivala, 20 plus stone, and swear blind, you are not hot and its the best jacket on the market.

Richa Dry wind jacket with Bull-it jeans and Firetrap boots, I also take a Gore cycling jacket that i wear under the dry wind jacket if it's chilly and add layers underneath if i'm still cold.

I use a Arai tour X3 lid, fairly well ventilated, i prefer to have a peak to block the sun.

Motorrad rainlock waterproofs.

Would you recommend the Oxford Hinterland??

Seems like great value.

Yes it is, and you can hear the but coming. The context - mainly very sunny days, mainly up to 32 deg C and a couple of heavy thunderstorm type rain.

Front main zip has the storm flap behind it, and I'm not 100% certain that that's the best solution in really heavy rain. Trousers don't close tightly around my road style boots, so in heavy rain the spray can go up the legs, especially if the road is flooded. I'm not certain the trousers vents zips are waterproof, but due to the rain amount it could have been coming in another way. Vents, on a bike with any fairing the vents will probably be compromised. I don't think the jackets arms ones are big enough, and they need speed to feel an effect. Trouser ones don't do much, unless you're stood up, spread your legs wide.

So, would I wear it to Morocco, not unless it was during the winter months. Am I thinking of other options, yes, but am wary I might be chasing a Holy Grail!

My current gear of choice for hot weather riding is a Klim Marrakesh jacket and trousers, very comfortable and as they are mesh based you get loads of air flow through them (or a pair of PMJ jeans with the Marrakesh jacket). In terms of helmet i generally go either with a Shoei J-O or my Neotec II with the chin bar up... I've also got a Klim Zephyr which I leave in the tank bag and pull out if the temp drops too much. If it looks like rain i use the Scott Ergo Pro jacket and pants which will be stored somewhere close by..

Heat management is a pain on an RT where there is not anough airflow for the rider and pillion.

I have just come back from France where 16:00 hrs temperatures were 36.5C.

I used a BMW Airflow mesh jacket (which has a reassuringly solid feel compared to many others), Resurgence jeans and a BMW Cool-Down evaporative vest. Was still knackered by the heat!

Thanks guys,

Noting current temp I’m going with open face lid with full visor and flip sun visor, Dainese denim and rev’it eclipse jacket. By the reading above the 11/07 will be toasty.

Barry

Ok just returned after 10days of visiting family and some amazing roads around Millau.

Mesh jacket was biggest help in keeping cool. Only resorted to water over the T-shirt one day but that was 37 degrees the day after Reggie353 and I had a few shandies.

Temp was ok until about 32 then got a bit tougher. 36-40 was really hard work but still worth suffering for the great trip.

Barry

No need to be obnoxious just because you have a different viewpoint. Please show the evidence that the Neotec has been passed legal to use then, and the test may well have been done on a bike with a large screen so the manufacturer could use the fact in advertising, they do things like that don't you know. But if you know different please share the data.

I think the only thing that makes the shark and the roof helmets legal is the fact the chin bar flips all the way over; they can't accidently fall back in front of your face; some flip fronts lock in the up position so they are legal; i think the caberg is a locking one.
Here you go;

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-113157.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-113157.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 97

Back
Top Bottom