GS1200 Screen

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After another long ride from Manchester to the highlands of Scotland and back, its become very apparent that the screen on my bike is crap.

The weather was perfect, lovely sunshine with zero wind, and yet at 70mph on the motorway the buffeting in the wind was tiresome.

In the past on long journeys its been bad but has been windy, so I just put it down to the weather.

After this though I know now it’s the bike.

I’m 6’3” and the wind tried to pull my helmet off, in between slapping me left and right.

At 50mph its not too bad, but any faster is awful.

I looked online and there is the windscreens with the extra fin on, do they actually work?

Attached is photos of the current useless one
Someone else must have cured this, I'm looking for advice on what cured it.
1e06575d8f9d1b676339e55241ea25f1.jpg
42527be580ee44f9e0080c85afd0937a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I mentioned it to a guy i know and he says try turning the adjusting nob and lowering the screen a little.
although it sounds like the opposite of what i want, he says the angle change can make all the difference and is why BMW give you the ability to change as you go?

sounds too easy to me lol, but will try it when i go down the motorway next.
failing that a new screen like those shared above may be the answer.

@MartinK
Thats a decent price too :thumb

@Victor c
i think in HGV traffic and side winds there is little we can do anyway, other than take the car :)
my current helmet is a full face type, but i am changing it soon and was thinking either a flip up or adventure style this time.

Puig for me (and my pal).

I'm shorter than you but set mine a bit lower, so I think on the max you'll get decent protection. You'll always feel the breeze as you're on a motorcycle, but it was a big improvement on both my GS and previous GSA screens - in fact it can hamper airflow enough to cause some visor misting -a measure of how effective it is.

Attachments

• Highway Man Cafe.jpg
    Highway Man Cafe.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 85
The standard 1250 GSA screen is OK but coming from the twin cam with the Givi Airflow it was rubbish

I then tried the MRA Vario Touring screen which was brilliant for the rider (6 foot 2) but after the Givi she was getting a little buffeting but at Motorway speeds it was nosy and she was struggling with coms. - Still have this is anyone is intrested (clear with probably 500 miles use)

I then went for the Puig (make sure you also get the screen supports), (personally i prefered the MRA Vario Touring screen) but she found it a marked improvement over the MRA so I have now fitted the screen lip and we have a monster of a screen but it works!!!
1000 miles of nc 500 over the long weekend and I am happy to ride with the visor open but more importantly is I am not getting it in the ear from her :)

I could show you mine but its covered in dead bugs but this is the same set up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132570375990

Cheers Rossman999,

that ebay listing looks good.
the screen looks lots taller

The compatibility check is rubbish though, says its not compatible with my bike? (This doesn't fit a BMW R 1200 GS 2017 TE)
and yet my bike is listed in the compatible list lol

Ive already done the NC500, i just camped for 3 days last weekend in Glencoe and travelled out each day, furthest north i went was Eilean Donan Castle this time.

The standard puig touring is the same height as the MRA (including aerofoil) so the Puig aerofoil adds an extra couple of inches.

As a rider I prefered the MRA as the puig is a beast especially with the aerofoil as even at 6 foot 2 I do look through the Puig (set to high) whereas i was looking over the MRA.

I ended up with the Puig touring in grey tint with a clear Puig adjustable spoiler to give a bit of vision through it in highest setting as it is rather tall but worked for me, if you want a pic PM me and I can send by email or whatsapp, im not using it any more so would part with it if you are looking for one

Back
Top Bottom