Question re compressor fittings

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Didn't know quite where to post this...

My compressor has 2 female air-sealed outlets. My compressor tools have two different male connectors.

In the photos, the blue male connector is the one that fits my compressor.

Questions -
What are the names of these different standards?
If I buy a female that's compatible with the yellow hose, and swap that with one of my two female ports on the compressor, is that safe, or do they have different pressure ratings? (I assume they must be different somehow, otherwise why 2 standards)?
Alternatively if I know what the blue standard is called, I guess I could buy a second male connector and screw it onto the end of the yellow hose?
It's a straightforward 120 litre home compressor, nothing commercial.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• Picture13.jpg
    Picture13.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Picture14.jpg
    Picture14.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 217
Yellow hose is PCL
I think the other is called a Euro fitting, but beware there are different standards about, that do not connect together

as stated above, all same rating, just go to machine mart if they have one near and get enough to convert all to the same

The usual thread is 1/4 inch BSP so you can interchange the couplings

PCL is the most popular in the UK

The blue air tool is the preferred style by the yanks on the Snap on, MAc tools and Blue point stuff

A roll of PTFE and £30 should see you converted to one standard

My preferred connector is as per your blue tool. It is shorter and feels chunkier. This makes me feel more comfortable, plus you can get make versions swivelling at the tool end. Less stress on the hose connector at funny angles.

if interested in tools from aldi or lidl they are normally the shorter type

I have a few leftover bits from when I did the same. If you want to wait, I'll have a look at what I've got and if any good to you, send them

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

When you decide which fitting is going to become your standard buy genuine ones rather than copies. I know that sounds very obvious but you might be tempted to save a few quid and it’d be a bad move because they might fly apart of they might hang up and not disconnect if you buy the cheap shit Chinese copies on offer on eBay or Amazon.

Thank you Joca, and Andy for the advice.

As my compressor has 2 outlets, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever need both simultaneously, I have bought parts to convert them to PCL but for now will just convert one port, meaning I don't need to change the male connectors on my hoses either.

If over time I find I buy more PCL tools I can convert the second port, but for now I have great flexibility.

Get yourself some of these as long as they stay airtight you'll have no more worries.

Attachments

• 51lcsKdnlLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51lcsKdnlLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 95

Back
Top Bottom