Home servicing and Warranty?

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I recently had the remains of an AUB warranty transferred to my name after buying a low mileage R1200RTLC... I usually carry out nearly all my own work on bikes but am now in the dealer service/ minor or major service loop... I live in Shetland so the logistics of dealer service are more complicated and my next major trip in August isn't tying in with the NE Scotland dealer opening days... As usual I am in a rush to see family the length of the country ha ha... Have any of you experience of carrying out minor services yourself and keeping the warranty situation OK as long as you use the genuine parts... I'm trying to contact the dealers as well but our phone lines didn't cross today as I work in a busy auto place myself...
Cheers in advance for any feedback and thanks for the previous feedback re warranty transfer...:thumb

I recently had the remains of an AUB warranty transferred to my name after buying a low mileage R1200RTLC... I usually carry out nearly all my own work on bikes but am now in the dealer service/ minor or major service loop... I live in Shetland so the logistics of dealer service are more complicated and my next major trip in August isn't tying in with the NE Scotland dealer opening days... As usual I am in a rush to see family the length of the country ha ha... Have any of you experience of carrying out minor services yourself and keeping the warranty situation OK as long as you use the genuine parts... I'm trying to contact the dealers as well but our phone lines didn't cross today as I work in a busy auto place myself...
Cheers in advance for any feedback and thanks for the previous feedback re warranty transfer...:thumb

No. You can't. If you want to maintain your warranty you need to have it looked after by a qualified Motorcycle technician at a proper 'recognised' workshop. Using genuine parts. And keep to the schedule.

You DO NOT have to use a BMW main dealer for your servicing though.

No. You can't. If you want to maintain your warranty you need to have it looked after by a qualified Motorcycle technician at a proper 'recognised' workshop. Using genuine parts. And keep to the schedule.

Thanks for the confirmation...:thumb

This can vary, I would talk to the dealer. Douglas Park motorrad were happy as long as I bought my parts from them and documented what I did. Never had any issues with warranty work. I discussed with them during the buying process. The warranty work must have came to thousands in the end.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

The validity of the warranty really isn't up to the dealer. Its with BMW or the insurance company if it's an insured warranty. As is often the case, people who work dealers don't know their elbows from their arseholes. I know this as I've worked in many.

Its true that a local dealer will be trusted by BMW to validate the warranty but most generally don't care as they want the work. Which will be why your dealer told you that. It certainly isn't BMWs policy. Which is outlined in your owners manual.

The problem will be if BMW look into the claim or if it's escalated to customer services etc. Then you may get rejected. Especially if it's something Which is expensive or debatable.

When I was at BMW, I knew plenty of claims kicked back for lack of proper servicing. But also plenty accepted when they shouldnt be.

Its playing the lottery for sure.

The validity of the warranty really isn't up to the dealer. Its with BMW or the insurance company if it's an insured warranty. As is often the case, people who work dealers don't know their elbows from their arseholes. I know this as I've worked in many.

Its true that a local dealer will be trusted by BMW to validate the warranty but most generally don't care as they want the work. Which will be why your dealer told you that. It certainly isn't BMWs policy. Which is outlined in your owners manual.

The problem will be if BMW look into the claim or if it's escalated to customer services etc. Then you may get rejected. Especially if it's something Which is expensive or debatable.

When I was at BMW, I knew plenty of claims kicked back for lack of proper servicing. But also plenty accepted when they shouldnt be.

Its playing the lottery for sure.
That's what I had gained an impression of... A bit of a grey area but I work in automotive, have worked at dealers and know it's never totally clear... Like you say, business is business...

There always was a wriggle out clause. I've said it before and certain independent service people poo-pooed the idea but the fact is that Block Exemption never did apply to motorcycles.

Post Brexshit, I'm not sure where we are in relation to that, now. :nenau

Or speaking to BMW UK directly

There always was a wriggle out clause. I've said it before and certain independent service people poo-pooed the idea but the fact is that Block Exemption never did apply to motorcycles.

Post Brexshit, I'm not sure where we are in relation to that, now. :nenau

I did speak with BMW which is how I had the warranty transferred and they were helpful... I have been trying to speak with the NE dealers service depts but it's not the easiest...:rolleyes: I want a heads up as to what the last service was and what the next is and how long it takes and when and cost... At the moment I have spoken to their central booking dept somewhere in Fife who can't help very much with that... My trouble is that Shetland has a windfarm being built so heavy industry travelling up and down along with plenty of tourist and locals itching for a holiday and a ferry that is not big enough...:blast We are having to book weeks and months ahead to get on and off reliably... Island probs and as I have done all my own work for the last 20 years, not one I am used to...:rolleyes: We'll get it sorted I'm sure..

At the moment I have spoken to their central booking dept somewhere in Fife who can't help very much with that...

If you're dealing with John Clark Motorrad then they're in Dundee. Once upon a time I'd have been able to give you a name but the Service Advisor has changed since I used to moonlight there.

Mind you, you could ask to speak to Ryan Westwater who's been the Sales Manager for the last 11 years.

Is the Inverness dealership not easier from you?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

The northern isles ferry lands in Aberdeen... You can go via Scrabster if you fancy a Highlands tour...

Have you considered using one of the local garages? Burra Motors and SMR in Tingwall (as far as I know) both have qualified bike technicians. Burra Motors possibly have more experience with BMWs.

Have you considered using one of the local garages? Burra Motors and SMR in Tingwall (as far as I know) both have qualified bike technicians. Burra Motors possibly have more experience with BMWs.
I know the Burra gang and we have a good chat about bikes... The main thing is for me being new to warranties but having much experience of doing my own service and repair work is the hoops you need to jump through to keep up the warranty... This has approx 10 months left to run on an AUB... It's only as it's a fairly complex bike outside to usual considerations that I'm bothered about keeping it up... They seem to have a good rep for build etc and I'm not expecting any horrors but it's worth keeping up if it's there... I've had an email from Aberdeen with the approx service menu but as you will probably know, travel and time is a PIA at the moment without forward planning... Ps it's Guy from JBs in case you were wondering...:thumb

I know it’s you Guy :). I’m Birgit, sorry should have said, I forgot we are under cover here :D . BMW might agree to uphold your warranty if e.g. Burra Motors do the service.

I know it’s you Guy :). I’m Birgit, sorry should have said, I forgot we are under cover here :D . BMW might agree to uphold your warranty if e.g. Burra Motors do the service.

Birgit, now know as Hilda says...:D Looking at what was last done in 2021 its due an engine oil change and a valve clearance check... All the rest was done so plugs, FD oil, etc will be 12k from approx 7.5k and I'm now at 11250... All this newer bike crap is getting confusing...:rolleyes: :D

Back
Top Bottom