STEERING HEAD BEARINGS

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to replace my steering head bearings on my 89 100GS, do I just buy from Motorworks or is there something else I should buy also, do I need any replacement seals etc. Should I look to replace anything else at the same time as taking the front apart

Thanks

Simon

Hi all

Looking to replace my steering head bearings on my 89 100GS, do I just buy from Motorworks or is there something else I should buy also, do I need any replacement seals etc. Should I look to replace anything else at the same time as taking the front apart

Thanks

Simon
If everything else is fine with your forks then all you need to buy is two sets of taper roller bearings. Top and bottom are the same. Having said thats all you’ll need there is a lower dust cap that often gets damaged when you replace the lower bearing so best get one of those too. Getting the outer race out of the head tube is tricky as there’s no lip to drift the race out. One trick is to lay a short bead of weld either side of the race to give your drift something to rest on before you tap it out. Other folk may have another method they prefer.
If you do need to overhaul your fork then it’s a whole different ball game as to which parts you’ll need.

Thanks for the reply, I will get them ordered and try crack on with it. 👍

I thought i needed to replace mine because the steering was very "notchy" . But after cleaning all the hardened grease off and regreasing they are now perfect.I would check if there are any marks on the outers first.

add a grease nipple , if the stem is solid , HD do this as STD from the factory on alot of their bikes......every service pump so grease in !

Back
Top Bottom