Intermittent running problem

dave61

Reaction score
Over the winter I did quite a bit of work on our 2002 1150GS ready for getting back to some sort of normality this year.
It was mainly on the driveline, including replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, swingarm bearings, Nushings in the Paralever, final drive bearings & seal, Hall Sensor ,replaced the rubber U pipe with a Stainless Steel one & changed the exhaust studs for Stainless ones.
Bike was running like clockwork before all this but now has an occasional running problem that can best be described as what a carbed bike feels like when it's going on to reserve, has anyone got any advice as to what I might have inadvertently done ?
Have got a coil on order just in case it's breaking down.
Cheers
Dave

I'm not an expert but have done a fair bit of work on my R1100GS, so I can only offer a couple of thoughts. Did you set the ignition timing when you replaced your hall sensor. You may have advanced or retarded the ignition!
Another thing I would check is whether the fuel pipes were done up tight when you replaced the u bend pipe in the fuel tank.

Thanks for the reply.
I used a plug in LED from Germany to set the Hall Sensor & reasonably confident everything is okay in the tank, it's an intermittent running problem that doesn't just occur at any particular running situation.
Will double check the fuel delivery rate this weekend.
Cheers
Dave

Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Yes, changed it a couple of times, have owned from new since 2002.
Cheers
Dave

Just another thought! I had a similar intermittent running problem. Eventually I traced it to the side stand switch. Must have been a brake in the wire. I disconnected the switch and bridged the wires. This solved the problem.
There is a utube video about bypassing the side stand switch, showing what is involved.

Cheers for the suggestion, funnily enough I did a bit of work on the sidestand a while ago to try & get some of the play out of it & might have disturbed something.
I'm doing a bit of work on the GS this weekend so hope to get it sorted, been waiting for a parcel.

In my experience, the side stand switch tends to just chop the ignition; you pull in, deploy side stand, get-off, scratch head, use an appropriate swear word, switch back on & off she goes..... until the next time.

This sounds more like fuel starvation from the OP's description. Fuel filter, sock, breather pipes, fuel pump failing, pressure reg or an injector.

Intermittent = difficult to analyse - good luck tracking down the problem.

Back
Top Bottom