Germany - card sales

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the past week or two there has been a problem with card sales.
They found a bug and need to replace the card readers - they thought it was just software at first.

Pumps/shops/eateries, all sorts. Couldn't buy my crates of bier tonight! No cash and no working card reader.

Take a supply of cash, the problem is not going away in the next week or three.

They found a bug and need to replace the card readers - they thought it was just software at first.

Pumps/shops/eateries, all sorts. Couldn't buy my crates of bier tonight! No cash and no working card reader.

yep REALLY REALLY pissed of mates at the weekend, THEIR German cards did not work however my prepay Euro card DID !!!!

Its not the cards, its the machines.
A mate has one in his garage business. Said he is waiting for a new machine... as are about 100,000 other retailers.

german-shops-unable-accept-card-payments
I had that problem at my restaurant last night.
However, the new auto accessory shop took my Mastercard for an oil ppurchase no problem. New machines I guess.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

" Couldn't buy my crates of bier tonight! "

Any decent breakdown cover would surely include a clause for this :beerjug:

Thanks for the heads up :beerjug:

i've often found Germany to be a Cash economy - quite a few outlets do not like card payements.....

quite a few outlets do not like card payements.....

They don't want to pay the parasites for using their cards. They are quite canny where moneys concerned.
A lot of places also still prefer the EuroCheque cards over Mastercard/Visa

Attachments

• ec.jpg
    ec.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 224
i've often found Germany to be a Cash economy - quite a few outlets do not like card payements.....

in Amsterdam recently I was surprised to see how many places were using cards even for coffees etc.....a result of not wanting to handle other folks covid ridden cash I guess

Card use is exploding across Northern Europe. Lots of places take no cash at all. Eminently sensible in my view, not least as it saves the shop owner going to the bloody bank.

Card use is exploding across Northern Europe. Lots of places take no cash at all. Eminently sensible in my view, not least as it saves the shop owner going to the bloody bank.

Until it stops working!

Now so many people never carry cash if you own a business all of a sudden you cannot do much trade, if your card only your out of business for however long it takes to get resolved.

If you're a punter you cannot buy anything, inconvenient if your after a cuppa, disastrous if your in dire need of fuel and don't want to sleep under the stars in your bike kit because you don't have the range to reach your next Hotel.

I still always have some cash, part of me thinks if we all stop using it then the authorities will have an excuse to take it away, but I also like to know if the tech fails I can still buy stuff, we are never more than one good hack away from the computerized systems cards rely on going offline.

When abroad on trips I like to have enough in my pocket for a meal, tank of fuel and a Hotel for the night, and as cash points become more scarce I am starting to carry more, in under 5 years my town has gone from 7 cash points to 2, and I reckon the one near me is only handing out cash 50% of the time at best.

Some cash and a spare card or two (carried separately to the main card) is good insurance.

Interesting, I was in Spain a while ago and was impressed with the flexibility of their 'cashpoints'; they do a lot more than dispense €'s, almost an automated teller.

Back
Top Bottom