The Eifel Mountains

Marlou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Off on a jaunt for a few days to the Eifel mountains, any place anybody would recommend as a do not miss??

Edit: Post moved from the Alps section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogelsang. It was initially built for the academics of Hitlers Nationalist party to go and do their think-tanking and come up with brilliant Nationalist Party policy. It later became a retreat for the Officers of the Third Reich to de-stress. It overlooks the lake in Rurberg. After the war it was taken over by the Belgians and later still by NATO forces as a training ground. I went on an excercise there with the British Army in about 1980 and the ‘Arbeit Macht Frei’ gates were still there, and you couldn’t move from one part of the camp to another without passing through a ‘Trim Dich’ assault course type fitness course. Some of it is now housing ‘Fluchtlinger’ (immigrant’s).

And Burg Elzt above Cochem in the Mosel Valley. Wonderful castle with guided tours.

Trier is a nice place to visit. Ideal if you want a day off riding. History dating back to Roman times. Nice cafe culture.

The road along the Lux border from Echternach to Clervaux is lovely. Some interesting towns along the route.

Take this road from Minheim to Piesport for some lovely views over the Mosel https://goo.gl/maps/duPwcrNfC78Dxyr89

Myself & Tricky had a ride around the Nurburgring (about half an hour from Eifel) in an 'Official Taxi' a few months ago.
I'm not remotely interested in cars or car racing and it wasn't particularly cheap but I would absolutely recommend this as it was an experience I thoroughly enjoyed.
Top tip: Shout 'Shotgun' before your mate does.

be a tourist, go visit Monschau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monschau, visit the https://www.senfmuehle.de/start/index.html try the https://kloster-mariawald.de/? trappist monestry, good cafe, brewery etc do a google search for eifel siegfried line, there are large bits left all along the 258 which runs down to Monschau from the A40 autobhan which goes past Aachen, https://adler-wolfspark.de good castle to look at there as well, https://www.hellenthal.de/tourismus/sehenswertes/burg-reifferscheid/ another castle the efiel has loads of them.

if you want anything else drop me a pm, I was there over the weekend. Been going twice a year for over 20 years

I you want cheap wine/sprits/tobacco etc then http://goldene-bohne.de/kontakt.php its where all the germans from the area go its a bit like the german version of tobacco road in Du Panne, the lichtenbusch turn off on the A40 is the one you would take to go down to the Eifel and the market is about 400 yards into belgium right by the junction.

Burg Eltz Castle is nice as previously mentioned. :thumb2

Most of the roads in the Eifel region are great. We went in March and the area was empty.

Expect the roads around the Ring to be busy particularly at weekends now summer is here.

Attachments

• DB381918-B6E9-4188-8C7A-F98A6F559ACB.jpg
    DB381918-B6E9-4188-8C7A-F98A6F559ACB.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 062CA755-86C7-484F-836B-85BFDE5EFB2C.jpg
    062CA755-86C7-484F-836B-85BFDE5EFB2C.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 290
As you can see OP, there’s a lot going on in the Eifel. Not surprising I guess as it’s a huge area of over 5,000 square kilometres. Anything from attractive towns, a famous race track, castles, hills, rivers, steam trains, echoes of the Nazi party, sauerkraut, sausages and not least, bier.

Have a good time and be sure to come back to tell us what you did.

PS Don’t whatever you do, head for the Alps :augie :beerjug:

Hotel Forsthaus at Riedener Mühlen a fave place of mine. Run trips there, warm welcome for 'bikers :thumb

Family run and friendly :thumb

Superb motorcycling roads in the area .... but don't tell anyone :D

:beerjug:

it’s a huge area of over 5,000 square kilometres.:

I had to get a reference for that as I couldn't work out in how big that was. Turns out to be more or less the same size as Norfolk ! :D

I may judge all areas on this from now on and ask how many Norfolks it is. for some reason I looked up the Grand Canyon as I knew it was 300 and something miles long and thought it would trump Norfolk turns out its a little bit smaller :D

anyway OP enjoy your trip :okay

It is indeed good to have a reference point and Norfolk is as good as any other.

It’s a trick I use when bods ask for “Great twisty roads, no motorways” between X and Y, with often no realisation how far the places might be apart. I ask them something along the lines of, if you were to ride from, say, Norwich to Inverness in a day, would you take every small B road you can find? The answer is invariably, no. Would you think it a long way? Invariably, yes.

Not least, it’s a fallacy to assume that there is always ‘Great twisty roads’ between A and B, as if just crossing the Channel makes everything guaranteed as being fantastic.

PS The Grand Canyon is considerably deeper than Norfolk :D :beerjug:

Eifel is split into the Vulkan Eifel - more north west of the Mosel, the North Eifel around and east of Monschau and closer to the Belgian border and Sud Eifel south and West of the Mosel area
We prefer the Vulkan Eifel / Sud Eifel area as the roads tend to be quieter. Also hotels will vary substantially in prices. The closer to the Mosel river the more expensive.
As per above many good places to see and roads to ride. If you are looking for something more specific you can always drop me a PM and I can dig out some of my old routes. The main factors are always, time you want to spend there; how you want to get there from the Coast and where you want to be based.

We normally use Trier as a base, usually the Ibis Styles these days, but there is plenty of choice.

The Moseltal road is a pleasant ride, but remember it's a bimble, so progress is slow to allow you to take in the scenery. From Trier take the 53 to Bernkastel-Kues, then onwards until it joins the 49 at Alf, then Cochem, maybe a detour to Burg Eltz, then on to Koblenz & the Deutsches Eck. Return to Trier either on the Autobahn if short of time, but preferably use the 327/52.

Have a good trip.

Double check the Vulkan Eifel region even later on last year there were still numerous roads and hotels closed from the bad flooding in the area in 2020

Thanks all, we only had 1 day to mooch as it was a 3 day short trip just to blow off the cob webs. We had a wander round Monschau which was stunning if a little battered by the floods, a wander up to the ring for a look and then finally a curvy roads trip back to Gumund.. sorry no pics. We always stop here on our first day when we run down and wanted to spend a day.. Pleased we did...

Thanks for asking this, I'm travelling through here on my way to Sauerland (Hallenberg) in a few weeks and didn't know what it was called!

I'm bumbling, so will post back photos :)

I wasn't planning on booking anything in advance, but booking on my way through - wise or not at this time of year there?

Thanks for asking this, I'm travelling through here on my way to Sauerland (Hallenberg) in a few weeks and didn't know what it was called!

I'm bumbling, so will post back photos :)

I wasn't planning on booking anything in advance, but booking on my way through - wise or not at this time of year there?

If you want to be in a popular place like Cochem or Monschau then prebook. If you don't mind where you stay, or what you pay, then just get your phone out at lunchtime and pick your destination and see what is available. As a last resort, go into a town with a tourist office and they might have details of a Gasthaus not on booking.com but you will probably have to pay cash as it will be run by an elderly couple who don't do cards. This worked for me in Trier when I decided to stop there on the way back from Slovenia.

Back
Top Bottom