Credit card sized passport.

Used mine in Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy this year with no problems or questions anywhere.

Don't mind him Gerry.........his lasting memories of Ireland involved lurking around in hedges at night carrying an FN

I am all for a united Ireland, you get me wrong.

An update.
I've just come back from a trip to Heraklion in Crete via Stansted.
Going out was okay once the Jet2 girl at check in had her manager confirm my passport was indeed a passport, no issues at all entering Crete.

Similar experience with check in with Jet2 at Heraklion airport, the Greek authorities once again accepted it without question.

Coming back into Stansted was, however, problematic.
As the passport has the necessary chip built in I used the e-gates as advised by the tannoy system but it just wouldn't accept my card sized passport. I asked the young girl who was there to help what I was doing wrong and got the expected 'It's not a passport ' response. I pointed out that she was wrong and asked her to look at it so I could show her where it says 'passport ' and where the chip is at which point she walked away telling me to take it up with Border Force. Because I was with my wife I used my paper passport to go through the e-gates but went straight to Border Force which is immediately behind the e-gates to ask why the card style passport didn't work. Before the lassie I'd asked had chance to answer a very unpleasant colleague of hers shouted from 2 desks away that it's an I.D. card not a passport. I explained the usual and asked her to take a look at it but she became more obnoxious and bellowed that she'd worked there since 2006 and "I know what a passport looks like!". Again I asked her to take a look at it but she refused and said she'd get a manager to come and explain the difference between an I.D. card and a passport to me.
Sure enough a very helpful chap came along and having initially tried to tell me it wasn't a passport conceded (after I'd suggested I'd e-mail the Irish Embassy for confirmation) that it is before explaining that the e-gates weren't set up for the before Brexit and they definitely won't be now. He explained that if I want to use it in future that rather than use the e-gates I should use the separate queue for people with I.D. cards. The conversation was carried during front of the gobshite who 'knows what a passport looks like' and he confirmed to her that it is a passport and that he'd arrange some training for her.

So it would appear, to answer an earlier question, you can't use them in e-gates and further training is required at Border Force U.K.

Just because it says passport doesn’t mean it’s a passport…..lol.
A lot of people carry a driving licence, but they can’t flippin drive.
The issues you have are probably more to do with the Irish government not feeding out the info, although I expect they have, but the ignorance of the Border Force is staggering given the amount of different passports they see.

Just a slightly different take on this issue I was an early adopter of the credit size passport a bit miffed when it comes with a different number as the number on the paper passport so if you’re booking in online ticket make sure you quoted of either the paper passport or a credit card passport and another little detail when I handed it in to Irish Ferries at the port I showed it to the lady she said it was the first one she had seen (a few years ago)

She handed the card back to me and i put it up on the dash of the van, while i turned back to her to collect boarding card ,
I Drove off a few metres to let cars in behind me but unfortunately my passport card on the dash slid into the air vent it has not been seen since

Well ive learned something today...

Ive never seen these before, and im now wondering why we haven't all got them?
isnt the current passport printed in France or something?

We could all have cards printed at DVLA Swansea, better and keep it UK :)

someone will correct me now and tell me that our licences are printed in China or something lol

Just a slightly different take on this issue I was an early adopter of the credit size passport a bit miffed when it comes with a different number as the number on the paper passport so if you’re booking in online ticket make sure you quoted of either the paper passport or a credit card passport and another little detail when I handed it in to Irish Ferries at the port I showed it to the lady she said it was the first one she had seen (a few years ago)

She handed the card back to me and i put it up on the dash of the van, while i turned back to her to collect boarding card ,
I Drove off a few metres to let cars in behind me but unfortunately my passport card on the dash slid into the air vent it has not been seen since

I had a similar problem, when my credit card somehow slid down the side of the driver’s seat in a petrol station, having just filled up. Saab had to take half the passenger area apart to get it back. The joys of company cars, with someone else paying for it all.

Cards would be no good for Brits anymore, as we have to have our passports stamped when entering and leaving the Shengen area

An update.
I've just come back from a trip to Heraklion in Crete via Stansted.
Going out was okay once the Jet2 girl at check in had her manager confirm my passport was indeed a passport, no issues at all entering Crete.

Similar experience with check in with Jet2 at Heraklion airport, the Greek authorities once again accepted it without question.

Coming back into Stansted was, however, problematic.
As the passport has the necessary chip built in I used the e-gates as advised by the tannoy system but it just wouldn't accept my card sized passport. I asked the young girl who was there to help what I was doing wrong and got the expected 'It's not a passport ' response. I pointed out that she was wrong and asked her to look at it so I could show her where it says 'passport ' and where the chip is at which point she walked away telling me to take it up with Border Force. Because I was with my wife I used my paper passport to go through the e-gates but went straight to Border Force which is immediately behind the e-gates to ask why the card style passport didn't work. Before the lassie I'd asked had chance to answer a very unpleasant colleague of hers shouted from 2 desks away that it's an I.D. card not a passport. I explained the usual and asked her to take a look at it but she became more obnoxious and bellowed that she'd worked there since 2006 and "I know what a passport looks like!". Again I asked her to take a look at it but she refused and said she'd get a manager to come and explain the difference between an I.D. card and a passport to me.
Sure enough a very helpful chap came along and having initially tried to tell me it wasn't a passport conceded (after I'd suggested I'd e-mail the Irish Embassy for confirmation) that it is before explaining that the e-gates weren't set up for the before Brexit and they definitely won't be now. He explained that if I want to use it in future that rather than use the e-gates I should use the separate queue for people with I.D. cards. The conversation was carried during front of the gobshite who 'knows what a passport looks like' and he confirmed to her that it is a passport and that he'd arrange some training for her.

So it would appear, to answer an earlier question, you can't use them in e-gates and further training is required at Border Force U.K.

I wouldn’t recommend trying this when attempting to enter or leave Honduras ��

Cards would be no good for Brits anymore, as we have to have our passports stamped when entering and leaving the Shengen area

electronically as they always have been??

Back
Top Bottom