Credit card sized passport.

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have one of these & it was met with utter bewilderment at French & U.K. passport control earlier this year.
I've also just booked a holiday to Greece & my travel agent (in the U.K.) insisted it was not a passport (even though it is) & was absolutely adamant I won't be allowed into Greece if I try to use it.

Anyone else got one & if so have you had any issues when trying to gain access to/leave countries apart from The Free State?
:nenau

We should all have them but folk here would start screaming about ID cards.

That's exactly what the French & U.K border authorities insisted it was, as did my travel agent today.
This despite it clearly having 'Passport' printed on it & the chip embedded in it.

I have one of these & it was met with utter bewilderment at French & U.K. passport control earlier this year.
I've also just booked a holiday to Greece & my travel agent (in the U.K.) insisted it was not a passport (even though it is) & was absolutely adamant I won't be allowed into Greece if I try to use it.

Anyone else got one & if so have you had any issues when trying to gain access to/leave countries apart from The Free State?
:nenau

Photo pls

Strange thing, it’s just like a driving licence.

Or an I.D. card apparently. But it's neither of those things. It's a passport.
My question is, is anyone else having a problem using theirs?

I’ve one too. If my memory serves me correct, it’s only for use in European countries.

I still revert to showing the book version by default. I must try it on arrival in Spain in August.

I think it was an extra 25 Euro to get it alongside the book passport… not available on its own.

And yes it’s an Irish thing

That's exactly what the French & U.K border authorities insisted it was, as did my travel agent today.
This despite it clearly having 'Passport' printed on it & the chip embedded in it.

The UK is not within the EU, so you need your book.

But putting that to one side, has anyone else had an issue using theirs?

Sadly, we Brit’s don’t have one. Though we can go to Eire on just our driving licence.

Of course, since leaving the EU, our bloody passports (colour totally irrelevant) have to be stamped, just as they would be entering some third world despot’s kingdom.

Tommy

I have used my Irish passport (card) for some years in the EU. The only time I had a problem was entering Bulgaria from Turkey where they insisted on the book one.

It’s also very helpful because it doesn’t give border authorities the chance to have a good nose through the various places you have been (which in my case includes a few that get people excited).

But as others have said it’s EU based (although presumably you could use it as the required photo ID for Irish citizens entering the UK, but I haven’t tried that).

It has I think the same biometric data as your book passport so I have been meaning to try it in the e-gates but haven’t actually done so to see if it works.

No issue. Travel extensively throughout Europe with no problems. Staff of ferry companies in UK seem to think a book passport is needed but no issue with UK border force or any other European authorities.

No issue. Travel extensively throughout Europe with no problems. Staff of ferry companies in UK seem to think a book passport is needed but no issue with UK border force or any other European authorities.

Traveling back to the UK last April via the Tunnel, the UK border force chap did not like my wife's Irish passport card and wanted to see her book. only snag was that she only had her GB book with her, caused some raised eyebrows. She had no problems using the card at the same check point two months earlier. I think it is down to whether the staff is a jobs worth, about to finish a shift or need educating.

Thanks Comrades.
It appears to be a bit of a mixed bag then.
As noted above it seems to be down to a lack of training for border staff leading to confusion on their part.

Back
Top Bottom