Irish ferries

tarry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, have any of you recently used Irish ferries on the Dover-Calais route, if so how was the service, boarding and the Dover terminal, we have just returned in our motorhome using the tunnel and as normal was quick and straightforward, however we thinking of going away again next month and looking at the pricing there is a considerable saving to be had using Irish ferries so tempted to book with them.

Just used Irish_Ferries over the weekend, first time on Dover-Calais in over 15 years, been using the tunnel in the pass.

Very easy check in at French border control, just passport checked and stamped and covid paperwork looked at, took about 20 minutes to pass through the French bit, ferry check in quick.

Return journey both French and uk border checks easy, uk border stamp your passport.

Ferries are ferries, found seats easily enough, breakfast was good on the way out, didn’t eat on the way back as we had eaten earlier in France.

Cost was the deciding factor, tunnel wanted approx £130 for the weekend, IFerries £68

Will use them again.

I’ve used them three times this year. First two times checkin at Dover was very quick but last Saturday at around 06:00 we queued for an hour as they only had one booth open. We’d queued for an hour before that to get through French immigration so we won’t try that early morning lark again! The ferries are I believe ex-DFDS ones and they look their age and are registered out of Limassol. Fish and chips cost £16 and was average quality for a ferry. One crossing was 50 minutes late leaving but the others have been pretty much on time. Lots of empty vehicle space on all crossings but if there were more cars and coaches then the seating areas would be packed. Lots of Eastern Europeans using the service and they seem to think it’s alright to play games, TV etc loudly on their phones in the seating area.

I tried to use DFDS for the last trip but they were full. The tunnel always seems extremely expensive unless I’m missing a trick.

Ferrys

Well we spilt the difference and booked Dover - Dunkirk with DFDS, we arrived early and they put on the earlier ferry, on our return today Dover starting to look really busy, with wagons backed up to Folkstone.

Back
Top Bottom