06 12GSA advice

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I appreciate this has been asked a billion times but, thought I'd ask again!
I'm coming back to BMW after a while away, all my previous bikes have been 1150's but I have the chance of now buying either a very well looked after 03 plate 1150 GS, or a very well looked after 1200GSA (the former is a lot cheaper too)
I'll be doing road riding only, no off road.
You only ever hear the bad bits about 1200's but I assume there are a lot of positives too.
Thoughts from anyone who's had both?
I like the idea of being able to fix the 1150 myself but obviously they are a bit 'old' now. Wondering if the 12 might be just as easy to live with and repair/ service etc?

At a pinch, I would say that the 1200 is probably slightly easier to service. I say this because I’ve broken both bikes to get to the clutch, and the 1200 was so much easier that I did it 3 times :D. (Long story).

I do my own servicing on the 1150 which I actually find enjoyable. But the servicing on the 1200 gets done by mechanic who stamps the book, mainly because I didn’t plan on keeping the 1200 for long as I was too cramped in the leg. But a little while ago I manufactured my own foot peg lowering kit, so the bike is actually a real pleasure to ride. So now I don’t know which one I would part with first.

To answer your question, there isn’t a fag paper between them other than the 1200 is a bit more power and fuel economy. So it will probably come down to personal choice and what you will use the bike for.

Not much help Sorry
Ian

1200 are a doddle to fix plus there are plenty of independents like Mikeyboy at Overland & Classic, Steptoe and others. I’ve had my 1200GSA apart loads of times, it’s just a big meccano set. The electronics/canbus on both my 1200 have been fine. I think they are great bikes.

FWIW I pick up a 1250 tomorrow and say goodbye to my old 1200, I hope I am not making a big mistake.

I have the chance of now buying either a very well looked after 03 plate 1150 GS, or a very well looked after 1200GSA (the former is a lot cheaper too)
Unless you're paying way over the odds for the GSA, you'll lose nothing on it if you look after it well.....

Back
Top Bottom