Shocking Confusion

bootneckRM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I am a 'newby' and have just collected a 2005 1200GS. I road it home and it has been parked in my garage and I have not had a chance to look at it in depth. I want to lower the suspension and had planned on getting the 30mm lowering Combi set of springs from Hyperpro, but I have seen an article that has made me question which shocks I have on the bike.
I have seen an article saying that in 2004 the GS was fitted with White Power shocks and they were changed to SHOWA shocks in 2005. So my bike should have SHOWA. However in the article it showed the difference between the adjusting knob on the 2004 and 2005 models and mine looks like the 2004 version. Can anyone throw any light? I suppose I may have to wait to order the springs until I have been able to get at the shocks to see what they are? Is there a makers name or something on the shocks to ID them? According to the VIN it is a 2005 bike(March).
Regards

What you think you should have and what you actually have are two entirely different things ;)

I'll go easy as it's your first post :)

Saying you have a 2005 bike is a very generic statement

There are 12 months in each manufacturing year, and model revisions can occur generally twice each model year , but then you have run outs as well

So in reality for your bike you could have a 2004 unit & 2004 with early or late revision parts or a 2005 with late or early revision parts

Best way if your trying to find out what was actually fitted, you need to know the month your bike was produced as well as the year

Then check out WWW.realoem.com to find out what should have been fitted , however that still doesn't mean you will have what you expect

on a 2005 bike the shocks will be well passed it by now, so may have had SH units fitted

Either way if I recall there is no difference with regarding to fitting shorter springs they will fit WP or showa

You may be better sending the shocks to Denzo of this parish, and tell him what you want, he can refurb the shocks at the same time as fi shorter springs etc

Hi, I am a 'newby' and have just collected a 2005 1200GS. I road it home and it has been parked in my garage and I have not had a chance to look at it in depth. I want to lower the suspension and had planned on getting the 30mm lowering Combi set of springs from Hyperpro, but I have seen an article that has made me question which shocks I have on the bike.
I have seen an article saying that in 2004 the GS was fitted with White Power shocks and they were changed to SHOWA shocks in 2005. So my bike should have SHOWA. However in the article it showed the difference between the adjusting knob on the 2004 and 2005 models and mine looks like the 2004 version. Can anyone throw any light? I suppose I may have to wait to order the springs until I have been able to get at the shocks to see what they are? Is there a makers name or something on the shocks to ID them? According to the VIN it is a 2005 bike(March).
Regards

What you think you should have and what you actually have are two entirely different things ;)

I'll go easy as it's your first post :)

Saying you have a 2005 bike is a very generic statement

There are 12 months in each manufacturing year, and model revisions can occur generally twice each model year , but then you have run outs as well

So in reality for your bike you could have a 2004 unit & 2004 with early or late revision parts or a 2005 with late or early revision parts

Best way if your trying to find out what was actually fitted, you need to know the month your bike was produced as well as the year

Then check out WWW.realoem.com to find out what should have been fitted , however that still doesn't mean you will have what you expect

on a 2005 bike the shocks will be well passed it by now, so may have had SH units fitted

Either way if I recall there is no difference with regarding to fitting shorter springs they will fit WP or showa

You may be better sending the shocks to Denzo of this parish, and tell him what you want, he can refurb the shocks at the same time as fi shorter springs etc

He has stated it's a march 2005 bike. But as you stated contacting denzo would be advisable in the first instance.

He has stated it's a march 2005 bike. But as you stated contacting denzo would be advisable in the first instance.

Oops, my bad missed that, appologies ...

Looking at the dates it looks like there were a choice of two shocks available

33537666418 (02/01/2004 — 06/28/2006)
33537692258 (10/01/2005 — 10/22/2010) Is the Showa unit, as i have one to hand funnily enough

I'm guessing the other is the White power unit

Denz0, as in Denz with a zero. Based in Croydon. He’s your man.

Denz0 is t-tech suspension, I had my 2006 GS shocks serviced and lowered 30mm by him, very knowledgeable & great service.

Al.

Latest Update

I have just managed to have a good look at my shocks and they are WP (White Power) shocks (with the BMW logo), so it seems to be as Gazza mentioned, I have a 2005 bike, but prior to SHOWA's being fitted. As they are original, I should be OK with Hyperpro 30mm reducing springs. I reckon my shocks should be in good nick as the bike has only done 28k.
I have just MOT'd my ZZR 600 so I will stick that on eBay so I can concentrate on my GS (and have more room).
Regards
bootneckRM

Many years ago I tried Hyperpro 30mm shorter springs on an 09 GS , the ones I had were coil bound (3coils) at dynamic sag so the suspension was only working on 4 coils and was very hard.
only used them for a few days ended up buying a set of Wilbers 30mm lowered shocks.
At 28K the shocks will soon need servicing. I usually reckon on 30 to 35K between having them serviced.
I would be tempted to go the Denz0 route and have the rear shock shortened and sprung to suit your weight.

Listen to what Mistacat says.
He’s a very talented guy and knows what he’s talking about (fabricated a new mount for the rear shock on my Husky when I changed from standard shock to Wilbers)

A word of caution: I fitted Hyperpro progressively wound springs to my GSA to lower it a few years ago. The ride quality was shocking so I returned it to stock springs.

I would not advocate ever fitting progressive springs as the non-linear action makes them hard to set sag and their action varies with travel.

If anyone wants a set of Hyperpro lowering springs for a Hex GSA (I think it was Showa on mine, I can check later) you can have them for the cost of postage.

I had similar suspension issues, I sent off to Denzo of this parish after recommendation and can't believe how much it changed the bike, restrung to my weight and he set the units up to work in the sweet spot. Best thing I've done to the bike.

Attachments

• IMG-20210306-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210306-WA0003.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 134

Back
Top Bottom