European pipe band championships, Inverness

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not everyone's thing but if you happen to be near Inverness on the 25th of June this is a good day out. A lot of music, beer, drams and general good atmosphere. If you're passing by and never been to such an event, give it a try. There will be bands from around the world and some of the best will be there.

https://www.pipinginverness.com/

A couple of years ago when I was in Ribadesella in Spain there was a Pipe band contest with quite a few Scottish entries - Does this competition travel to other countries or is it a Scottish thing only ?

Apparently they are very keen on the pipes in that area of Spain

A couple of years ago when I was in Ribadesella in Spain there was a Pipe band contest with quite a few Scottish entries - Does this competition travel to other countries or is it a Scottish thing only ?

Apparently they are very keen on the pipes in that area of Spain

You'd have to check with someone from the piping community. There are Highland piping competitions all over the world in places where Scots migrated to and colonial outposts such as India, Pakistan, Jordan etc where military pipe bands were adopted. Spain is an unusual one but there's also strong cultural links between the Celtic areas of Europe. As Ribadesella is in the Asturias, I'd guess that the piping would have been part of that and would have included other forms of pipes (elbow powered like Northumbrian pipes for example) as well as the Highland version.

When we stayed in the Scottish Borders my son played for a while in the town band. Practice was a nightmare.
However, that’s not the worst experience of a piping nature. Jericho, on the west bank, their pipe band is like no other “decent” pipe band you have ever heard. In Jericho it fair gathers the crowds. How I wish I had my bike ear plugs, but I was cycling so never had packed them.

And it was a great day, over 100 bands playing in the sun including one from America who did well. A few beers and a few drams were sold by the bar tents.

A fair amount of visitors from a variety of countries who all seemed very happy with it, a great Highland event.

First time to such and event and have to say was an enjoyable experience.

Helped also by the glorious weather.

My grandson (14) reported back - “things were a bit rushed. We were 4th out of 4 in our category which was pretty rubbish”

He enjoyed the weekend and I’m happy he’s getting on with piping

My grandson (14) reported back - “things were a bit rushed. We were 4th out of 4 in our category which was pretty rubbish”

He enjoyed the weekend and I’m happy he’s getting on with piping

Pass on Gary Player's comment when a golf fan called him "lucky"... "The more I practice, the luckier I get!" :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom