First service cost

Devil

Reaction score
What shouid i be paying for a first serice. Picking up my new bike shortly, and will probaly need the first service a week later, been told it a 5 week delay for the workshop. £170 cost.

As a none-BMW franchise but other multi-franchise main dealer, we charge:

One hour labour £80
Oil £65 (Motul 7100 or BMW avantec)
Filter £15
Bevel gear oil (Motul GL5 ) £5
Disposal of oil/filter & sundries £5

Total £170

A BMW main dealer will probably charge £30-40 on top of that.

Booked in for running in service next week at motarrad dealer. Was originally quoted £150 which they said was discounted, got them down to £100
Whats involved other than engine oil and filter change?

£167.30 for mine by the dealer I bought it from.

No extra work needed as far as I know.

Booked in for running in service next week at motarrad dealer. Was originally quoted £150 which they said was discounted, got them down to £100
Whats involved other than engine oil and filter change?

That's INSANELY cheap.

A 600 mile first service is:

Oil and filter.
RWD oil
Tyre pressures
Plug in for fault check and set service light.

I guess it's so cheap because they will smash it out in 20 minutes using rattle guns and cereal box qualified 'Techs'. That's the main dealer model.

In the latest incarnation of the R1250GS owners handbook the rear drive oil isn't until 12000 service

Attachments

• Schedule.jpg
    Schedule.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 565
And it looks like just oil change, not filter on running in service

Well, that is new to me. To be fair, it's been a couple of years since I've been in the dealer network.

Where I agree the new oil filter is a dealer rip-off that you don't need, I don't know of any other manufacturer who won't require a new filter on a running in check to maintain a warranty.

I don't agree with the RWD being removed from the running in check. They usually drain a lot of sludge. 12,000 miles is a lot for 180ml of oil to cope with.

I wouldn't be surprised if its part of BMW's "Planned obsolescence" strategy. The Bevel drives don't self destruct anymore like they did on the oilheads.

Both the oil filter and final drive were changed on the last GS in May 2020

What shouid i be paying for a first serice. Picking up my new bike shortly, and will probaly need the first service a week later, been told it a 5 week delay for the workshop. £170 cost.

I always negotiate the 1st service FOC when I get a new bike

Hi HGS I'm also in N. Wales, which dealer do you use?

Cheers
Alan

Williams in Manchester, been using them last 3 years
Halliwell Jones have started but as of last week only had one tech, the Ellemere Port ones apparently transferred to KTM

If they have a five week waiting list , how can they ?

Who's booking should they cancel to accomodate someone who didn't book ?

Or... if they are happy to take your money for a new bike sale, how dare they not accommodate you for the very small service that allows you to ride it?

I paid £189 for my first service a couple of weeks ago. Was able to book it in within a week which I was impressed with.

I was dreading what the cost would be so was very pleased to get away with less than £200.
Mind you that was coming from riding Harleys for the past 20 years.
I've been used to being bent over backwards and shagged for every service!!

And it looks like just oil change, not filter on running in service

Would be barking mad to change the oil but not the filter wouldn't it? And isn't the first filter a different specification to subsequent changes.

Would be barking mad to change the oil but not the filter wouldn't it? And isn't the first filter a different specification to subsequent changes.

I don’t believe this is accurate, at least in relation to motorcycles. What makes you think this so?
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom