Insurance Question

Phil Magill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My son in law has recently passed his bike test and I am giving him one of my old bikes to get some experience on.

The question is, he wants to leave the bike locked in my garage as he has no where to store at his house, would this cause a problem when he is going to sort out the insurance policy for the bike ?

My son in law has recently passed his bike test and I am giving him one of my old bikes to get some experience on.

The question is, he wants to leave the bike locked in my garage as he has no where to store at his house, would this cause a problem when he is going to sort out the insurance policy for the bike ?

they will ask were is the bike kept at night, just tell em. if its a similar postcode, it shouldn't make any difference to the quote.......

I inherited a bike when my dad died which stayed at my mum's house 150 miles away but was easiest to register in my name. Insurance was simple - gave them my own address when asked what my address is, gave them my mum's address when they asked where the bike is kept. No problems at all.

I kept my bikes at a separate address (other side of London) for years. No problem.
Even now, they are closer, but still my lock up is at a separate address.

He’ll be fine.

Something else to consider, I think if you were to add yourself as a named older experienced rider that would also help reduce his premium.
Plus then legitimises the storage arrangement.

Something else to consider, I think if you were to add yourself as a named older experienced rider that would also help reduce his premium.
Plus then legitimises the storage arrangement.

Never thought of that. Thanks :thumb2

That will certainly reduce the premium, but if he has to make a claim, premiums on your vehicles will probably be loaded by the insurer for several years. If you have protected no claims bonus the percentage discount will be protected, but on an increased premium so it could well cost you dear, I would advise against being a named older rider if you can.

That will certainly reduce the premium, but if he has to make a claim, premiums on your vehicles will probably be loaded by the insurer for several years. If you have protected no claims bonus the percentage discount will be protected, but on an increased premium so it could well cost you dear, I would advise against being a named older rider if you can.

how would that work? The OP would be a named rider not a shared policyholder so no impact on his driving record unless he is riding the bike at the time of the incident and therefore a party to the claim.

Of course, any claim in the OP's postcode might load future premiums for everyone living there.

You are quite right, my bad, not clicked that the OP would be a named rider on the Son in Law's policy (even though it says so in the thread) , assumed the post meant the OP insuring the bike with the Lad on the policy, will teach me to jump in too quick before reading properly. Doh !!

FWIW I keep my bikes at a different property from my home address.
When I told the brokers they contacted the insurers who wanted photos of the garage where the bikes are kept and photos of the bikes in the garage.
Once they had this they were satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom