Aerostich Classic v. R3

L

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a Roadcrafter Classic. Had it for years, ridden 000's of miles in in in and generally can't fault it. But a zip puller has gone and the velcro is a bit weak now...

Looking at the Aerostich website and I see they have the R-3 unlined version and am tempted to treat myself. I've read the reviews they've got, but does anyone here have any first hand experience of the R-3 in the UK, especially in comparison to a classic?

On a similar theme... does anyone have any experience of their Falstaff jackets?

No, but I’m in exactly the same position, just been discussing sizing with Stevie.

R3 has the waterproof zips so no soggy gusset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I sent off my sizes, weights etc and they artistic suggested a 46L. I currently have a 44L which fits fine…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking too, Anybody know the final cost once all duties etc are paid ?

No, but I’m in exactly the same position, just been discussing sizing with Stevie.

R3 has the waterproof zips so no soggy gusset.

Interesting! I love my classic but it has clearly shrunk over the years. I have replaced the long zip (they sent that free of charge) but the other zips are going/ have gone...

My only criticism of the suit is that it's not very warm. But then with heated clothing underneath that shouldn't be a problem. Also the back protector pocket is either for a back protector or for venting...not both (in my opinion). I also had a soggy crotch after a day or rain of biblical proportions in Wales last year.

I would be interested in anyone's experience of the R3...

Chris

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Interesting! I love my classic but it has clearly shrunk over the years. I have replaced the long zip (they sent that free of charge) but the other zips are going/ have gone...

My only criticism of the suit is that it's not very warm. But then with heated clothing underneath that shouldn't be a problem. Also the back protector pocket is either for a back protector or for venting...not both (in my opinion). I also had a soggy crotch after a day or rain of biblical proportions in Wales last year.

I would be interested in anyone's experience of the R3...

Chris

Hi Chris

I run mine with a Warm’n’safe heated jacket, works a treat in all weathers.

Back protector should just Velcro in, there’s no pocket for it in mine?

Have two R3 s, first I got many years ago - dropped in to their factory and was measured up - never wore any other bike gear since getting it, winter or summer.

Purchased a second one just before covid and it has had hardly any use.

Will get zips replaced on old one next trip stateside.

Highly recommend

Was the measuring up experience worth it? Would you have chosen the same size as they gave you, or were you surprised by their recommendation?!

Hi Chris

I run mine with a Warm’n’safe heated jacket, works a treat in all weathers.

Back protector should just Velcro in, there’s no pocket for it in mine?
Thank you. Yes, I use gerbing/warm and safe in the winter... But the wind does whistle through the roadcrafter.... As for the back protector, in my old RC there is a zipped pocket but it's not terribly satisfactory. Having said that, I always take the aerostich over the Klim suit (which I bought in a moment of overindulgence...it is bonded goretex, which is good but overall not a patch on the RC)...

Was the measuring up experience worth it? Would you have chosen the same size as they gave you, or were you surprised by their recommendation?!

Having them doing the measurements was essential for me buying a new one. But I was down the road so it was an easy choice.

Minnesota is a great place - a bit like Lincolnshire ie flat , but with 10,000 Lakes and they have turtle racing

Second one I used the same measurements and that was spot on as well.

How about buying British? It’s not cheap, but Hideout’s Metropole Oversuit will fit and crash even better than the Aerostich. Worth exploring (e.g., a phone chat with Kate at Hideout) as a possibility.

“Will fit and crash even better than an Aerostich”. How so?

The Metropole oversuit will be a perfect fit if you go with Hideout’s made-to-measure option.

Alongside BKS 100SX textiles, the Hideout suit will crash far better than any other textile gear because it surpasses the highest protection standard (EN 13595 Level 2). This protection standard demands, among other tests, around 70% more abrasion resistance than AAA.

This excellent article explains the protection differences: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-ce-safety-standards

While Aerostich was one of the first companies to take crashworthiness seriously, no ‘Stitch currently comes close to BKS 100SX and Hideout textiles,

The Metropole oversuit will be a perfect fit if you go with Hideout’s made-to-measure option.

Alongside BKS 100SX textiles, the Hideout suit will crash far better than any other textile gear because it surpasses the highest protection standard (EN 13595 Level 2). This protection standard demands, among other tests, around 70% more abrasion resistance than AAA.

This excellent article explains the protection differences: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/product/motorcycle-ce-safety-standards

While Aerostich was one of the first companies to take crashworthiness seriously, no ‘Stitch currently comes close to BKS 100SX and Hideout textiles,
Well, that's a comprehensive answer! I'll start saving....

Very helpful, thanks. I’ll give Kate a call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom