Early doors, but.....Budapest 2023

adm1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am organising a ride to Budapest in June 2023. There are a few "restrictions" in how I can do it in that it will probably be a group of 15-20 bikes (Harleys) of mixed ability, with quite a few pillions, so not balls to the wall 400+ mile days to get down there. It needs to be more of a fairly leisurely holiday type vibe.

I'd say an average of about 250 miles a day would be about the max to work on. I'll have 14 days to do it, but do want to take 5 days in Budapest for chilling out, seeing friends and attending a rally. So maybe 5 days down, 5 days in the Budapest area and 4 days back.

Anyone with experience or Austria/Hungary got any good ideas for the route - or good things to see on the way. Here's what I am thinking so far for the route down:

Day 1: Channel Tunnel to Bernkastel-Kues
286 miles
I want to stay here for the first night as I know the town, have a good, proven route down there, know the area pretty well and have an excellent hotel there.

Day 2: Bernkastel-Kues to Ulm
232 miles
Ulm chosen purely due to mileage at this point

Day 3: Ulm to Zell am See (via Gerloss Pass)
244 miles
Overnight in Zell am See right on the lake, the do the Grossglockner the next morning

Day 4: Zell am See to Graz (via Grossglockner Pass)
217 miles
Overnight near to Graz, then on to Budapest

Day 5: Graz to Budapest
214 miles
For this day, maybe drop down south a bit and ride along Lake Balaton, which will add about 60 miles. Alternative is to do Balaton as a day's excursion for one of the 5 days in Budapest...

Total - about 1200 miles from the tunnel
Longest Day - 286 miles, Day 1
Shortest Day - 214 miles, Day 5

On the way back, I am thinking a more northerly route with a beer theme. Budapest via Vienna into Czech Republic, stopping in Budweis for a night, then Pilsen, then back up to the Chunnel via Wurzberg, Frankfurt, Cologne.

I did want to drop down into Liechtenstein and stay in Treisenburg where there is a fantastic hotel high up above the Rhine with the most incredible views, but I think this will just make it a bit too long for the group.

Anyway, any ideas welcome. Great roads along the way, places to see, stay or visit....I have a long time to think about it and want to make it really good.

Be sure to send pics of the orange Road Captain blouse !

Will do - and probably with local breakfasts included. But it's a year away, so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, I will probably be able to offer Snowdonia, Reims, Cornwall, Bernkastel-Kues (Winefest), Picos and Pyrenees breakfast and blouse pictures to keep your appetite sated.

Ulm is also said to have the tallest church in the world

…. it will probably be a group of 15-20 bikes….

Will you all be riding along as one group? If so, petrol (and any other stops) will take some time.

Continuing the interesting facts about Ulm theme…. It was only bombed once in the war, but pretty smashed up when it was.

I have done Hungary & Budapest a few times over the years
Where are you staying ?
I would stay in the hilly bits of Buda and avoid the flatlands of Pest, especially near the Danube in the suburbs to the north (direction Szentendre)
It gets plagued by Mosquitoes in summer months and so much so, they use helicopters over those areas and spray daily at low level with pesticides to kill them - it is very unpleasant to be sprayed from above
Having stayed at Balaton many times, Tihany is lovely I would stay there and take a train the Budapest if you want to visit
Budapest on a bike is hot and chaotic in summer

Fly in on a city break another time, if you want to visit the city especially
Hungary has some lovely countryside to the south and east
Eger in the north (near the Ukraine border) is worth a visit and the centre for the Ottoman rulers, so the architecture has an Islamic flavour and different to other parts

Will you all be riding along as one group? If so, petrol (and any other stops) will take some time.

Continuing the interesting facts about Ulm theme…. It was only bombed once in the war, but pretty smashed up when it was.

We are pretty disciplined about fuel stops. We normally have everyone pair up for fuel stops - so fill two bikes from one pump to keep it quick. One person pays at the first fuel stop, the second at the next. Most bikes have at least 200 mile range and we normally stop around the 100 mile mark for a stretch and to let any bikes with smaller tanks to a quick "splash and dash".

Ulm's "Butchers Tower" has almost the same slope as the famous leaning tower of Pisa....

I have done Hungary & Budapest a few times over the years
Where are you staying ?
I would stay in the hilly bits of Buda and avoid the flatlands of Pest, especially near the Danube in the suburbs to the north (direction Szentendre)
It gets plagued by Mosquitoes in summer months and so much so, they use helicopters over those areas and spray daily at low level with pesticides to kill them - it is very unpleasant to be sprayed from above
Having stayed at Balaton many times, Tihany is lovely I would stay there and take a train the Budapest if you want to visit
Budapest on a bike is hot and chaotic in summer

Fly in on a city break another time, if you want to visit the city especially
Hungary has some lovely countryside to the south and east
Eger in the north (near the Ukraine border) is worth a visit and the centre for the Ottoman rulers, so the architecture has an Islamic flavour and different to other parts

We have a load of rooms already booked at the Ibis Budapest Centrum (secure parking, breakfast included, butter in each mini bar). This is downtown, on the East side of the river. It's pretty near to the Puskas Arena, which is where the rally is.

I will probably miss out Balaton on the way down to Budapest, just to keep the travel time a little shorter, but do a day's ride out there instead. We are planning to be in Budapest for 5 days - mainly off bike for drunken debauchery, but I will take one of those days and go ride around part of Balaton. Maybe to Tihany for lunch, take the ferry across the lake to Szantod and then back. That should be a nice day out.

We have a load of rooms already booked at the Ibis Budapest Centrum (secure parking, breakfast included, butter in each mini bar). This is downtown, on the East side of the river. It's pretty near to the Puskas Arena, which is where the rally is.

I will probably miss out Balaton on the way down to Budapest, just to keep the travel time a little shorter, but do a day's ride out there instead. We are planning to be in Budapest for 5 days - mainly off bike for drunken debauchery, but I will take one of those days and go ride around part of Balaton. Maybe to Tihany for lunch, take the ferry across the lake to Szantod and then back. That should be a nice day out.

Ah, I didn't realise it was a Rally
Should be fine, I did a rally one time and it was down by the Roman ruins on the north side and by the Danube, in August
It was hot, 30's every day and at 6am and 6pm the choppers would come over, flying low & following the line of the river and spray everything with Mozzie killer
Not the best experience, I have ever had.
Stayed in Buda in hotels on other visits and it was fine
Have a rideout to Eger, in the north (near Ukraine) it's a lovely town, as mentioned before and a bit like Istanbul in its architecture

Ah, I didn't realise it was a Rally
Should be fine, I did a rally one time and it was down by the Roman ruins on the north side and by the Danube, in August
It was hot, 30's every day and at 6am and 6pm the choppers would come over, flying low & following the line of the river and spray everything with Mozzie killer
Not the best experience, I have ever had.
Stayed in Buda in hotels on other visits and it was fine
Have a rideout to Eger, in the north (near Ukraine) it's a lovely town, as mentioned before and a bit like Istanbul in its architecture

Thanks - I'll have a look at Eger as it sounds interesting and is only about 85 miles from the hotel. Could make a nice day out indeed.

I am living in Thalfingen 2km from Ulm so I would be happy to recommend accommodation, possibly meet in the evening to introduce some local knowledge. We can even put 2 couples up for the night in our house.

I am living in Thalfingen 2km from Ulm so I would be happy to recommend accommodation, possibly meet in the evening to introduce some local knowledge. We can even put 2 couples up for the night in our house.

That's very kind - thank you! Any recommendations for a hotel that doesn't mind a group of bikers would be great. It's still a year away from this trip and all I have booked so far is the hotel in Budapest.

We are pretty disciplined about fuel stops. We normally have everyone pair up for fuel stops - so fill two bikes from one pump to keep it quick. One person pays at the first fuel stop, the second at the next. Most bikes have at least 200 mile range and we normally stop around the 100 mile mark for a stretch and to let any bikes with smaller tanks to a quick "splash and dash".

Ulm's "Butchers Tower" has almost the same slope as the famous leaning tower of Pisa....

Good one :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom