Headlight aim causes MOT Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have two bikes. One is a GS1200 Adventure and the other isn’t, but is nevertheless a BMW. This post relates to that other bike, but could, I think, just have easily related to the GSA.

The non-GS bike went in to my local dealership last week for a service and MOT. It failed the MOT because the tester decreed that the headlight aimed right on dipped beam, not left. The bike has a 2008 plate. This will have been something like the eleventh MOT test in its life, all of which it has passed. In all, those tests will have involved about five different testing stations. None had mentioned a right-hand headlamp aim.

The bike is, as I mentioned, a BMW. It is standard UK spec, with mph clocks, trip computer etc. it is definitely not a grey import, and was first registered as a new bike at a major UK BMW dealership.

Now, I am reluctant to believe that every other tester before last week had either failed to notice that the headlight aim was wrong (if indeed it is), or that they all noticed, but all turned a blind eye to the matter. That’s partly an issue some in the know might perhaps like to comment on.

My main question, however, is: what would be the best and most authoritative avenue open to me to challenge that MOT failure? It’s been “sorted” with black sticky tape on the lens, for now, but I understand the MOT rules mean I can’t resubmit it for a test elsewhere for the next 11 months or so.

Happy to have comments and start some discussion, particularly if you’ve been in this situation yourself.

Thanks.

Tom

Put both your bikes lights against a flat surface and compare the light direction and spread. That should tell you if it's true or not.

Hi all.

I have two bikes. One is a GS1200 Adventure and the other isn’t, but is nevertheless a BMW. This post relates to that other bike, but could, I think, just have easily related to the GSA.

The non-GS bike went in to my local dealership last week for a service and MOT. It failed the MOT because the tester decreed that the headlight aimed right on dipped beam, not left. The bike has a 2008 plate. This will have been something like the eleventh MOT test in its life, all of which it has passed. In all, those tests will have involved about five different testing stations. None had mentioned a right-hand headlamp aim.

The bike is, as I mentioned, a BMW. It is standard UK spec, with mph clocks, trip computer etc. it is definitely not a grey import, and was first registered as a new bike at a major UK BMW dealership.

Now, I am reluctant to believe that every other tester before last week had either failed to notice that the headlight aim was wrong (if indeed it is), or that they all noticed, but all turned a blind eye to the matter. That’s partly an issue some in the know might perhaps like to comment on.

My main question, however, is: what would be the best and most authoritative avenue open to me to challenge that MOT failure? It’s been “sorted” with black sticky tape on the lens, for now, but I understand the MOT rules mean I can’t resubmit it for a test elsewhere for the next 11 months or so.

Happy to have comments and start some discussion, particularly if you’ve been in this situation yourself.

Thanks.

Tom
Is it really worth getting your knickers in a twist about? The bike has another 12 months ticket, it's not the end of the world if it failed.
Move on and forget about it........

Stick a little bit of gaffer tape on the lens covering the offending bit

Yes, as my post says, that’s already been done. But that wasn’t the point of the post, which was about the sudden MOT inconsistency, and whether/how one could challenge it.

Yes, as my post says, that’s already been done. But that wasn’t the point of the post, which was about the sudden MOT inconsistency, and whether/how one could challenge it.
There is an appeal process but what exactly are you appealing against?

Show me the rule which says that I have to read everything completely :p

But that wasn’t the point of the post, which was about the sudden MOT inconsistency, and whether/how one could challenge it.

There are a number of routes that are available to you. Here are some to set you going:

1. You could post in a section (or indeed a separate forum) relevant to the unknown model of bike. Failing that, try Mumsnet.

2. Take the bike to an authorised BMW dealership. Request that they:

A. Check the headlight’s alignment.

B. If it is not aligned correctly, that they remedy it.

C. If and / or when it is aligned correctly, kill those in the MOT station with fire and pitchforks.

PS Failing (or in addition to any of the above) Google is there to hold your hand:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

That is the government’s own website. You can of course amend any part of it by simply employing the accepted bikermate fallback position of shouting, “My mate says, he read on the internet…..” This trumps everything else.

Put both your bikes lights against a flat surface and compare the light direction and spread. That should tell you if it's true or not.

This.

You can’t argue or challenge anything till you find out if he’s right or not.

It will take 2 minutes to do.

There are a number of routes that are available to you. Here are some to set you going:

1. You could post in a section (or indeed a separate forum) relevant to the unknown model of bike. Failing that, try Mumsnet.

2. Take the bike to an authorised BMW dealership. Request that they:

A. Check the headlight’s alignment.

B. If it is not aligned correctly, that they remedy it.

C. If and / or when it is aligned correctly, kill those in the MOT station with fire and pitchforks.

PS Failing (or in addition to any of the above) Google is there to hold your hand:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result

That is the government’s own website. You can of course amend any part of it by simply employing the accepted bikermate fallback position of shouting, “My mate says, he read on the internet…..” This trumps everything else.

Wow. You are the gift that keeps on giving. You are my saviour. If only I (We) were "God Like" as you are.

Hi all.

Thanks.

Tom

I had exactly the same with an old Harley Davidson MT500. I had put it though dozens of tests prior, then one day was told it failed. It was explained the headlight was shining for European Mainland driving. "Oh I said" I asked for a small piece of black insulation tape, stuck it to the headlight. He then passed it. I put that experience down to a "Jobs worth" It probably didn't help my cause to state to the guy, That in my 15 years of ownership it had never failed a test. And Passed every test after, With No tape fixed to lens. :thumb
We come across people like this........:rolleyes:

Hi Nigel,

The dude (to use the local parlance) has already stuck the tape over his headlight.

Stick a little bit of gaffer tape on the lens covering the offending bit

His request is not for a workaround. He wants to know how to appeal what he sees as an unjustified failure. The link above explains how to go about it, within a defined time period. Of course he will need to find some method of ascertaining that his headlight is indeed correctly aligned, as I suspect an appeal on the grounds that “It has passed every previous test, mate” may well not cut the mustard.

Here’s a simple guide to DIY checking of a light’s alignment:

http://ridershandbook.com/bikes-and-equipment/how-to-align-your-motorcycle-headlight-for-mot/

But having something official from a reputable dealership might be more convincing to the government. Not least the dealership can check that nothing has broken to render the light misaligned.

The dude (to use the local parlance) has already stuck the tape over his headlight.

If this is directed to my post? I wasn't giving or offering any advice at all. Simply sharing a similar experience.

I wonder if he took your "MumsNet" advice ?

If this is directed to my post? I wasn't giving or offering any advice at all. Simply sharing a similar experience.

I wonder if he took your "MumsNet" advice ?

A problem shared, is a problem halved. Or so they say. I think it’s more accurate to say that it’s a problem given to someone else.

As to Mumsnet? Like you, I can only wonder.

As an MOT tester, let me tell you something that I have learned from my twenty years in Motorcycle MOT stations.

1) Most MOT testers don't test the headlight further than "It works" and it's not pointing at the floor or pointing into the sky. This is because it's a two man job to use the MOT beam tester.

2) Most MOT testers don't understand how to use the beam tester. And they haven't known since they did their MOT course decades ago. Let alone understand the charts and rules that relate to them.

3) It's quite normal for your MOT tester to not even be a mechanic. Or even have a bike licence. It's quite common for the parts guy or a random salesmen to be pulled off his desk to do an MOT when the mechanic is too busy.

The DSA have very little time or respect for Motorcycle MOT's. They're all car and truck guys and see Motorcycles as weekend toys. This a good and bad thing.. Otherwise you'd have emission tests, massive mirrors and failures for engine management lights etc

There is your inconsistency.

Should be like the Netherlands. NO MOT

As an MOT tester, let me tell you something that I have learned from my twenty years in Motorcycle MOT stations.

1) Most MOT testers don't test the headlight further than "It works" and it's not pointing at the floor or pointing into the sky. This is because it's a two man job to use the MOT beam tester.

2) Most MOT testers don't understand how to use the beam tester. And they haven't known since they did their MOT course decades ago. Let alone understand the charts and rules that relate to them.

3) It's quite normal for your MOT tester to not even be a mechanic. Or even have a bike licence. It's quite common for the parts guy or a random salesmen to be pulled off his desk to do an MOT when the mechanic is too busy.

The DSA have very little time or respect for Motorcycle MOT's. They're all car and truck guys and see Motorcycles as weekend toys. This a good and bad thing.. Otherwise you'd have emission tests, massive mirrors and failures for engine management lights etc

There is your inconsistency.
The most consistent thing about the Mot scheme is it's inconsistencies.....

The most consistent thing about the Mot scheme is it's inconsistencies.....

It’s a feckin’ disgrace. Centres passing bikes with moody exhausts, others passing indicators that would shame Lady Penelope. Something must be done about it!

Surely it would only be inconsistent if the tester who failed it this year was the same guy who passed it last year? :rolleyes:

Simply take it to another MOT test centre and get them to MOT it and see whether it passes or not. If it fails again you can probably accept that the first dealers decision was the correct one, however if it passes, well it’s passed and there’s no more issue.

I’ve done this with my car before and got initially a fail and then a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom