ISTA+

Your response is not warranted. You really are a nasty piece of work with an attitude problem.
In case you cannot understand being down under. You are a **** of the highest order. English sometimes is not the 1st language.

Your opinion is irrelevant. The turd I excreted from my bowels this morning has a higher IQ than you

If you need cuddles and a reach around, you may need to call your boyfriend

Like the OP, I am struggling to find someone to code in my OE AUX lights that I’ve just fitted to my 2019 R1250GS.

I had a spare set of OE AUX lights from my previous R1200GSA that were replaced by a full set of Denali lights so only needed to buy the wiring looms and switch; everything’s fitted now and just need coding in. It seems that all the BMW dealers I have contacted simply don't respond to emails, return calls or want to charge upwards of £150 (but can’t do it for several weeks…), I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for over a week to find somewhere to get it done.

Is there anyone who can help? I’m Wiltshire based but can travel (sensibly…). I did consider going the ISTA and ICOM route myself (I work in IT so fairly competent at working these things through) but potentially a lot of $$ for something I am likely not going to need again.

Like the OP, I am struggling to find someone to code in my OE AUX lights that I’ve just fitted to my 2019 R1250GS.

I had a spare set of OE AUX lights from my previous R1200GSA that were replaced by a full set of Denali lights so only needed to buy the wiring looms and switch; everything’s fitted now and just need coding in. It seems that all the BMW dealers I have contacted simply don't respond to emails, return calls or want to charge upwards of £150 (but can’t do it for several weeks…), I’ve been trying unsuccessfully for over a week to find somewhere to get it done.

Is there anyone who can help? I’m Wiltshire based but can travel (sensibly…). I did consider going the ISTA and ICOM route myself (I work in IT so fairly competent at working these things through) but potentially a lot of $$ for something I am likely not going to need again.

Easily pays for itself if you work on your own bike.

Easily pays for itself if you work on your own bike.

True that. Longer term I definitely will be but have just under 2 years warranty still to run so probably wont do much myself until then…

It’s frustrating, as “assuming” enabling the OE AUX lights is a simple job but the dealers just don’t seem interested, they have you over a barrel!

Keep in mind that both ISTA and the ICOM unit is made to handle a number of vehicles, and is in no way limited to BMW MC.

Being able to help one self once evens out the cost. Anything from there will be pure bonus.

I've used it a couple of times, and ISTA will not only tell you the fault codes, it has, at least in my cases, also explained more detailed about the issues triggering the fault code.

Keep in mind that both ISTA and the ICOM unit is made to handle a number of vehicles, and is in no way limited to BMW MC.

Being able to help one self once evens out the cost. Anything from there will be pure bonus.

I've used it a couple of times, and ISTA will not only tell you the fault codes, it has, at least in my cases, also explained more detailed about the issues triggering the fault code.

Another fair point well made; especially as I also have a G21 3 series ����

I could help you here, have a genuine ICOM and working ISTA setup. I'm based in Surrey (near Camberley), PM me if you want to discuss.

True that. Longer term I definitely will be but have just under 2 years warranty still to run so probably wont do much myself until then…

It’s frustrating, as “assuming” enabling the OE AUX lights is a simple job but the dealers just don’t seem interested, they have you over a barrel!

My bike hasn't seen a dealer post the first service, they even stuffed that up! Not a great feeling seeing the 18 year old apprentice working on your expensive brand new GS

As knutk said, it does a lot more than just reading codes, it can guide you through issues. Biggest winner is you can do your own software updates at home, even the TFT

I'm pretty happy to keep using the dealer (Bahnstormer) while the bikes under warranty, but with 3 BMW's in household - having the tools to diagnose issues and replace failed components on the cars that are well out of warranty - make me happy. Will I ever recoup the outlay in an ICOM and the PSU to provide peace of mind - probably not. Does it satisfy my inner geek - definitely!

I'm pretty happy to keep using the dealer (Bahnstormer) while the bikes under warranty, but with 3 BMW's in household - having the tools to diagnose issues and replace failed components on the cars that are well out of warranty - make me happy. Will I ever recoup the outlay in an ICOM and the PSU to provide peace of mind - probably not. Does it satisfy my inner geek - definitely!

The pricy part in his case is the PSU. Providing a steady 70 is asking a lot.
When you read the guidelines the high powerconsumption is required for a few tests only, most of the time it's not needed.

For my bikes I have a regular battery charger that does have a supply-mode that is able to supply 7A. That has never been a problem.

I would suspect that the same applies to car testing as well. A test where every system is run simultaniously is rarely needed.
On AliExpress you may purchase lab-supplies that are able to supply 20 - 30 A at a reasonable cost, and I feel confident this will do for but a few exceptional cases.

For something as simple as changing the bits/bytes to enable fog lamps, perhaps this can be done on the motoscan app with an OBD diagnostic tester ? It might be worth investigating.

Managed to sort this for Mike last night, although ISTA insisted on performing a full flash of every module to the latest i-step, which while very time consuming (the Kombi took over 2 hours to flash) did enable us to talk a lot about bikes!!

With hindsight, adding the SA to the vehicle order via e-sys would have been quicker, but the lights worked and Mike’s GS is fully updated.

For something as simple as changing the bits/bytes to enable fog lamps, perhaps this can be done on the motoscan app with an OBD diagnostic tester ? It might be worth investigating.

Short version: Forget MotoScan and GS911 for this type of jobs...

Longer version:
Changing bits and bytes is what programming is all about, and this is the same, whether we are dealing with the Space Shuttle or a coffimaker.

When it comes to activating the AUX lights, it involves a bit more than flipping a 'switch' and change the value from No to Yes.

CANbus communication means that there is a common network where every item that is connected reads and writes information, and it is read by whichever other controller that wants/needs that particular information.

Each of the units has a unique identifier code, and this identifier is used by any other of the participating units in order to be able to identify from which source the information has been transmitted.

In the computer-world we have become used to plug and play, i.e, whenever something new is added, it's imediately recognized by the computer, and relevant data gets downloaded from Internet, or whatever source we want to use.
This way of organizing the data requires an operatingsystem that is the 'Boss' and controls who is allowed to 'talk' and when.

A bike/car/aeroplane does not have an operating system. Thus, no plug and play.
This lack of plug and play means that every other computer connected via CANbus needs to be specifically informed about the newcomer, and the software for each of them needs to be updated accordingly.

This boils down to the fact that activating any new installation in a CANbus ntework is a lot more than a 5 min job.

Since my reply is too long allready. I'll stop here :D

Managed to sort this for Mike last night, although ISTA insisted on performing a full flash of every module to the latest i-step, which while very time consuming (the Kombi took over 2 hours to flash) did enable us to talk a lot about bikes!!

With hindsight, adding the SA to the vehicle order via e-sys would have been quicker, but the lights worked and Mike’s GS is fully updated.

Firstly, an absolutely HUGE thank you to John for sorting this for me last night; it’s help and support like this that make forums like this so valuable :)

It did take a while as mentioned but mainly because my bike hadn’t seen a firmware update since it left the factory, but pleased to report that I now have activated AUX lights and as an added bonus, a much smoother QS too, very pleased. It was really interesting to talk all things bike and ISTA, and its given me the motivation to explore getting the toolset myself, hopefully I’ll be able to pay it forward and help others too in the future.

Thanks again John and kudos for the support :okay

Firstly, an absolutely HUGE thank you to John for sorting this for me last night; it’s help and support like this that make forums like this so valuable :)

It did take a while as mentioned but mainly because my bike hadn’t seen a firmware update since it left the factory, but pleased to report that I now have activated AUX lights and as an added bonus, a much smoother QS too, very pleased. It was really interesting to talk all things bike and ISTA, and its given me the motivation to explore getting the toolset myself, hopefully I’ll be able to pay it forward and help others too in the future.

Thanks again John and kudos for the support :okay

I would recommend buying a genuine ICOM NEXT and not a Chinese clone from Aliexpress

Yep, about 5 mins with e-sys :)

What version of ISTA are you running? I just got 4.35.4 but haven't tried it yet.

Which connection and series are you selecting in e-sys?

I use Connection via ICOM/D-CAN and tcp://169.254.92.38:52410. Your IP may be different and you may need to use the ethernet option if you have a newer bike. The series is K001

You asking because it won't connect? If so, it's because the port on the ICOM is not open. I open ISTA+ first then connect to the bike, disconnect ISTA+ then immediately connect with e-sys. ISTA opens the port on the ICOM

Back
Top Bottom