F700GS on board computer

Shaun

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everybody, just registered and very new to this. I bought a F700GS a few months ago, 40,000, 14 plate but it pristine condition. Although it doesn't spoil the ride, the on board computer is always showing the wrong gear. It can be showing 3, 4 or 6 and yet I'm in 1st. When I do find neutral, for the majority of the time the N does not show and when you put the stand down the engine cuts. When however the N does decide to appear the engine will not cut. Once riding for a while it seem s to improve but its all hit and miss. Has anybody heard of this before ? Could it be a simple lose connection or is the main consensus "its a had it" All other information it gives out is correct. Not sure if connected but the bike has always had difficulty finding neutral. Whether from 1st or from second it misses neutral out and takes a few attempts to locate. Maybe a new clutch is required but not sure how and why this would effect the onboard computer display.
Thank you for reading and I'd welcome any feedback.: beerjug:

Seems you have a problem with the gear position potentiometer, part #2 here: -

......... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...4-K70-BMW-F_700_GS_0B01,_0B11_&diagId=23_1043

If you remove the front sprocket cover, 3 torx screws, & look just below/ahead of the sprocket you will see the fitting, probably filthy dirty, exposed to heat & muck, could have been hit with pressure washer jet at some stage.

Unless there is anything obviously wrong with the wiring, the normal procedure is to check the output voltages from the sensor, which differ with each gear selected, in a range of circa 0.7 v in first, up to around 5 v in top. For this you will need a GS911 or help from your dealer. Given the expense, most riders will simply change the sensor & hope, or ignore it.

Neutral selection is probably just clutch drag - a familiar scenario when bikes have been laid up for a while, as many have during the pandemic. Obviously adjust the lever per the manual but give it some time before jumping to conclusions. When was the oil last changed?

Wow, thank you so much for this and thank you for spending the time to write such an in depth solution, its much appreciated. The previous owner despite being 70 now did a couple of tours in Africa which would certainly explain a dirt build up and does / did use a pressure washer. Unfortunately my mechanical skills are next to zero but you have given me a great springboard to getting it sorted. As wrong as it may be I'm always very sceptical about the service dealers give. Always too quick to replace and charge rather than actually going through the diagnosis.
Once again, many thanks to you. Shaun

Back
Top Bottom