Latest map update - possible problems

Poley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A word of warning - I met 2 Nav V owners on my recent trip to France who had updated to the latest available Garmin maps before travelling, only to find on arrival that there was no coverage of France.

I'm afraid I don't know the exact map version, but it was the latest available just before they left, i.e. in the last few weeks. (I have a Nav VI with 2022.20 and that was fine).

Obviously many have learned to be cautious of updating Garmin maps just before going foreign, but there may be special reason with the current update.

I'm in contact with one of the affected riders, so if there are other details that might be useful I will do my best to find out. I'll post the affected map version when I know it.

Garmin have issued an update as the same thing happened to my Zumo 390.

Older devices do not have enough room for the latest full European maps. The original download flagged this and supposedly gave you a choice to upload Western Europe or Central Europe. I selected Western to get the UK, France & Spain for my September trip. The Garmin server ignored my request and loaded Central Europe that starts with Germany and goes east from there.

The update now gives this choice and it works. You can go back and change the maps if you need a different region of Europe.

Very interesting. I'm off to Germany the week after next so will check mine this weekend. Our plans are flexible depending on the weather, so could well ind up i France.

Very interesting. I'm off to Germany the week after next so will check mine this weekend. Our plans are flexible depending on the weather, so could well ind up i France.

I thought I had no maps to begin with as there was no street level detail showing at home. I then checked a few other places and found I had Germany, Czechia etc.

I found a workaround until Garmin fixed the problem. It relies on having full maps installed on a computer in Basecamp. You can upload map tiles to the Zumo/Nav from Basecamp and I was able to reinstate my 2021 maps. I always keep at least one older version of maps, anticipating this problem as I have been here before with my old 2610.

Just checking my Nav V Wessie, and the maps are split north and south, not east and west. I currently have CM Europe NTU 2023.10 all south, CN Europe NTU 2023.10 all north, Europe DEM and CN Europe NTU 2023.10 basic 3D. I think I applied the last update a couple of months ago. Zooming in on France, it does appear to have full details.

Just checking my Nav V Wessie, and the maps are split north and south, not east and west. I currently have CM Europe NTU 2023.10 all south, CN Europe NTU 2023.10 all north, Europe DEM and CN Europe NTU 2023.10 basic 3D. I think I applied the last update a couple of months ago. Zooming in on France, it does appear to have full details.

I guess you have enough memory for the full fat Europe maps as 2023.10 is the latest version. The last few updates of the full maps has been been split north south, including on my Zumo. I am only guessing what the problem the chaps in the OP had, as I have a Zumo not a Nav.

I guess you have enough memory for the full fat Europe maps as 2023.10 is the latest version. The last few updates of the full maps has been been split north south, including on my Zumo. I am only guessing what the problem the chaps in the OP had, as I have a Zumo not a Nav.

I’ll find out soon enough. On another note. Just reset it using the holding the bottom right corner of the screen whilst powering it up. Clearing its memory has massively speeded up the time it takes to calculate a route.

One of the reasons I don't update the maps on my Nav V ... the roads I want have been around hundreds of years :D

If I come to a town and its 'Toute Directions' > then if I don't want food or petrol I'll take the ring road and find myself traversing fields and lakes, but I know it will join up with a road shown on the Nav V :thumb2

The GPS is a help, a guide ... not the law :D

:beerjug:

I’ll find out soon enough. On another note. Just reset it using the holding the bottom right corner of the screen whilst powering it up. Clearing its memory has massively speeded up the time it takes to calculate a route.

Good advice
Same as I do with my 2610
It all works out in the end

Roads stay the same but I update as speed limits change too often in the UK. Yes, I do use the signposted limit, but its nice to be able to check..

Roads stay the same but I update as speed limits change too often in the UK. Yes, I do use the signposted limit, but its nice to be able to check..

The Garmin updates don't keep up with the way the Germans, French and British are lowering the limits everywhere. 30kph disease everywhere in France.

Same thing happened to me on recent trip to Spain. Sitting on the ferry killing time, I'll put the address of the Spanish hotel in the NAV V.

Change country... S.... Sp.... what? No Sp? What you mean no Sp? No I don't want SL...Slovenia!!

Anyway no Spain on my NAV V for 2 week trip.... got away with Google maps but was a bit small without reading glasses on, a PITA!

Same thing happened to me on recent trip to Spain. Sitting on the ferry killing time, I'll put the address of the Spanish hotel in the NAV V.

Change country... S.... Sp.... what? No Sp? What you mean no Sp? No I don't want SL...Slovenia!!

Anyway no Spain on my NAV V for 2 week trip....

The moral of this story is, ALWAYS check your GPS device BEFORE you leave the comfort of your home.

Anyway no Spain on my NAV V for 2 week trip.... got away with Google maps but was a bit small without reading glasses on, a PITA!

Steptoe uses chain restaurants serviettes with maps of that particular country printed on

I can’t fathom why people spend £1000’s getting to a foreign land and don’t carry a £6.99 paper map in the tankbag?

The Baglux tank cover and A4 mapcase/Michelin maps are the most important accessories on my bikes

Back
Top Bottom