I just been potholed

resovoir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi front wheel damaged from pothole whilst in Scotland . I have independent witnesses so will try and claim against the Council. That is not the point of the post ; the rim is bend not kinked and the outer flat part of the rim where the sploe meets the rim , (it is a cast wheel) meet the rim has a small bulge. The wheel is still holding pressure . A rough guess is a wheel is £800 at least from the quick checking I have done. Can it be repaired? or is it a new wheel. I have struggled but cannot get a picture on here
Thanks for any help

::.Edit BHT images now attached.:::

Attachments

• bentrim001.jpg
    bentrim001.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 750
  • bentrim002.jpg
    bentrim002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 753
  • bentrim003.jpg
    bentrim003.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 749
I did the exact same thing earlier in the year. Get it repaired, or have a go yourself. As long as you get some heat into the alloy before you try and push it / jack it / hammer it, then it will go back into shape. You will be suprised how far the wheel will spring back when you release the pressure, the alloy is very flexible.
Take the tyre off and check the whole wheel for any cracks in the powder coat, but if it holds air that will be very unlikely. Set yourself up with a couple of axle stands or similar so you can spin the wheel, make a pointer out of a wire coat hanger, you'll then be able to see if there is an buckle. The wheels dont have to run 100% perfectly true, my spoked wheels never have.
I doubt there will be any hidden damage. If there is, and you dont want it, send it to me, i'll use it.

Get on youtube, there are loads of video's of guys who have done there own repairs.

Stu

New wheel & claim on council. My life is worth more than eight hundred quid and I guess you feel similarly.

A collapsed front wheel at fifty mph will likely bring an accident that you’ll not recover from,

I hope you have photos of the pothole and names addresses and statements from the witnesses as the council will try to fight you.

There are YouTube videos of people doing all sorts that are great to watch but which I wouldn’t want to emulate!

Has any one used these guys, Maidstone Motorliner. They seem to have good reviews. Ultimately if I have to then I will get a new wheel. In my dark days of youth I seem top remember metals can be reformed providing it is bent not kinked. Of course there are limits to "bent" Our Admin has kindly offered to put the photos up for me.
Cheers

Has any one used these guys, Maidstone Motorliner. They seem to have good reviews. Ultimately if I have to then I will get a new wheel. In my dark days of youth I seem top remember metals can be reformed providing it is bent not kinked. Of course there are limits to "bent" Our Admin has kindly offered to put the photos up for me.
Cheers

Used them on many an occasion , professional company with no worries and they would never repair a wheel that was unsafe . They are not a bash and send out firm, they repair for all race teams as well.

That will be an easy repair for them, it will take them longer to mount it in the jig. A bit of heat and a push with the jack and it will be good as new.

Cheers

I used these people and they are indeed very good.

To claim against the Council you have to prove" that they failed to carry out regular inspections" or " the failed to upkeep the road having knowledge of the pothole". If it's a trunk road this could be Bear or a similar agency.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Check out the website where it all gets reported to.
They list everything that has had a report and you can check if they have failed to repair it.
You can only claim if they “were aware of the issue”.
www.fixmystreet.com

Another site that logs this sort of hazard is also here. There is an interactive map where you can report incidents but also check if it has been reported previously.

Regrettably I predict that any attempt to claim from the Council will be unsuccessful even if Court action is threatened, I speak from experience :blast

I hope the jolt didn’t throw you off or cause you to drop the bike, I’d simply get a new wheel and leave it at that. :thumb

Having watched a very skilled man deal with such a dunted rim in the past I'd personally let a skilled operator have a go at fixing it 1st. If, in their opinion, it's fubard, them new rim :blast.

Having dealt with hundreds of claims against the local council on their behalf, potholes and many other road hazards, as has already been said, if you cannot prove that they have not carried out their duty of care via scheduled and timely inspections, you will have no claim if said defect was noted on the last inspection prior to you riding over it.
Or even if it was noted on a previous inspection and still not repaired, as long as the declared timeline for repair, given by the inspector, is still relavent i.e. defect noted on inspection and given a 60 day window for repair from being noted. 1 month later, road inspected again, defect still not repaired because there is still 1 month to run before repair window ends and defect has not got worse.
If defect has appeared between inspections you will still struggle to prove the roads authority failed in its duty of care . . . as long as they have carried out said duty of care. If they haven't, then have a go at claiming.

You can request for a list of road inspections for the road in question, covering the months before your incident, via a freedom of information request. The information contained therein is the same as the councils claim handler (not their insurer at this juncture of the process) uses and compiles to forward to the councils insurer. The insurance company make the decisions re pay/dont pay.

Lots of drivel above - sorry - but I thought it would help if you had a fuller picture of how the roads authority deals with claims.

SteveT

:dragon

FWIW.

I have repaired several rims, and, by the looks of it this appears to be an easy repair.

But first of all: DO NOT USE ANY HEAT. Temperature exceeding 150 C will permanently soften the rim, and it will be permanently weakened.

If no professional help is available, nor any refund from the Council, this is what works for me:

Being a front wheel with a large diameter, it may not entirely fit properly in the hydraulic press. Also, the brake rotors will make it difficult for the hydraulic press pistion to push directly onto the damaged spots.

So, I have shaped a piece of wood that will serve as a foot for the rim. It must be curved to follow the shape of the rim in order to even out the pressure from the press. The rim will rest on this wooden piece when pressed.

Since the damaged portion will be out of reach from the pistion of the press, I use the bottom part of an old screwclamp, and support one end at the base of the press while the other end transfers the pressure from the press pistion to the rim. A bit like a camshaft that push on a lifter arm in order to press the valves in an engine. (the screwclamp acting as the lifter arm).

Before I start, the entire damaged area is covered with two layers of maskingtape, in order to protect the paint on the rim. I then mark the damaged area with a pen.
My old screwclamp has a nylon covered foot that will prevent direct steel contact with the rim.

The pressing starts from the edges of the damaged area, working from both sides inwards towards the center.
The key to success is patience, and little by little the rim will regain it's former shape.

When the curved shape of the rim is restored, (at least in my cases) the vertical edge of the rim will still point a bit outwards, so the final part of the job is to place the rim horizontal and allow the press the push the edges back into shape. Again, cover both sides of the rim in order to protect the paint.

I have done several rims, and the paint do not crack as long as the pistion is protected by nylon or other soft material. Using steel in direct contact with the rim will damage the paint.

It is possibe to da a repair that is not visble when finished.

This procedure is safe as long as there are no cracks in the rim.

Maidstone Motoliner have photographs and regard this as simple job. Wheel goes off tomorrow. Thanks SteveT I do not hold out much hope but worth a letter or two. Maidstone very organised and helpful

Its a funny thing claiming from the council, its not like they have a free money tree is it?? someone's got to foot the bill.

When i bent my rims in Scotland earlier in the year, i held myself totally to blame. I knew the road, and it happened on the last right hand bend before a short straight which was just long enough for us both to get past the pickup that hand been making himself as wide as possible for the last mile or two. I was too close to the pickup and didnt have time to miss the pothole, my fault, not the councils. It could have been a dead pheasant, hedgehog, cow shit, all off which could have ended up with me on the floor.

Stu

I did both of my rims at the bottom of the Dalveen Pass two weeks ago, wheels and tyres are completely toasted, claiming from my insurance as a bill of £1600 had me on my arse.
We also have witnesses and the bloody hole was huge.

Good luck with the claim, we determined that it would be a case of corporate manslaughter if this hole isn't repaired. We luckily came to a very wobbly stop outside the only house for miles and the very kind lady told us loads of cars and bikes had fallen victim to this very same hole.
At the recovery depot there was a new H2SX with busted rims and a holed sump from this very same hole.
My new GS which I'd saved for for three years and worked lots of O/T to buy and has only 1300miles under its very bent wheels.

I did both of my rims at the bottom of the Dalveen Pass two weeks ago, wheels and tyres are completely toasted, claiming from my insurance as a bill of £1600 had me on my arse.
We also have witnesses and the bloody hole was huge.

Good luck with the claim, we determined that it would be a case of corporate manslaughter if this hole isn't repaired. We luckily came to a very wobbly stop outside the only house for miles and the very kind lady told us loads of cars and bikes had fallen victim to this very same hole.
At the recovery depot there was a new H2SX with busted rims and a holed sump from this very same hole.
My new GS which I'd saved for for three years and worked lots of O/T to buy and has only 1300miles under its very bent wheels.

I've damaged two car wheels and tyres in the last three years due to potholes even though I was driving carefully and always look out for and avoid them where possible.

Bloody roads are I believe dangerous and the council telling those who complain that the roads are in acceptable condition are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom