Gedinne - Classic road racing

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone else going to the classic racing at Gedinne in August?

https://crmb.be/?page_id=78&lang=en

A plan has been hatched which if it comes to fruition will see me there from the Thursday until the Monday which should be long enough to see sun, rain, fog, a few races and a lot of beer consumed.

I’ll be using the Harwich ferry and taking my truck with probably 2 passengers so no doubt I’ll be getting very moody about empty beer cans rattling around on the floor while they drink beer and I drive but such is life, I’m sure I’ll get over it when I load up with Trappist ales before heading home :beerjug:

I may well be up for this, as soon as I have had an MOT and safety recall done on my motorhome.

Shall we liaise via PM?

I may well be up for this, as soon as I have had an MOT and safety recall done on my motorhome.

Shall we liaise via PM?

Drop me a message and we can go from there. It’ll be fun, Gedinne is always fun.

Drop me a pm if you decide to go and we can arrange to meet up, put tents up in one group etc.

Not to worry, it’ll be there for years to come and now we seem to be getting over the plague I’ll be getting back into my old routine of visiting one or both of Chimay and Gedinne every year.

Chimay is a small town in the Ardennes famous for its Trappist Ales. They also happen to run bike races around an open roads circuit which is a handy bonus.

https://walloniabelgiumtourism.co.uk/en-gb/content/classic-bikes-chimay

They run two weekends of racing so you get modern Superbikes being leathered around there as well but we normally go for the weekend when the classics are on.

I passed Chimay once upon a time and was tempted to ask the boss for a pass out for a 2nd Euro trip in one year, but found that DFDS want about £400 for a North Sea cabin to leave the UK and about £300 to return.

Ouch.

That will wait for an off peak time. If such a thing will return in future.

I passed Chimay once upon a time and was tempted to ask the boss for a pass out for a 2nd Euro trip in one year, but found that DFDS want about £400 for a North Sea cabin to leave the UK and about £300 to return.

Ouch.

That will wait for an off peak time. If such a thing will return in future.

I know it’s a long ride down for you but the Harwich - Hook crossing is a lot cheaper and because you’re on an overnighter you don’t need to worry about a hotel on the UK side either way.

Well that went well. We nearly managed to get everyone there on the Thursday afternoon as planned apart from one who sent a message on Thursday morning saying he'd got the wrong weekend and was in Bordeaux but would drive back to Paris, dump his wife at home and catch up with us eventually. Sunday lunchtime he finally turned up, had a couple of beers and a meal in the bar then rode home later that afternoon after complaining that because he'd used the bike rather than his car he'd been forced to behave or would have been there sooner :D

It was good to be back after a 3 year gap. The campsite was busier than I've seen it before, the racing was good, we drank a lot of beer and it only rained for a couple of hours on Saturday night so no complaints from anyone. Richard coped admirably with the collective behaving as they always do which is normally enough to see the non enlightened quietly slope off into the distance and he's made it very clear that a return is planned for the future so we didn't let him down with the promise of a pleasant weekend away with a small group of race fans :beerjug:

Well that went well. We nearly managed to get everyone there on the Thursday afternoon as planned apart from one who sent a message on Thursday morning saying he'd got the wrong weekend and was in Bordeaux but would drive back to Paris, dump his wife at home and catch up with us eventually. Sunday lunchtime he finally turned up, had a couple of beers and a meal in the bar then rode home later that afternoon after complaining that because he'd used the bike rather than his car he'd been forced to behave or would have been there sooner :D

It was good to be back after a 3 year gap. The campsite was busier than I've seen it before, the racing was good, we drank a lot of beer and it only rained for a couple of hours on Saturday night so no complaints from anyone. Richard coped admirably with the collective behaving as they always do which is normally enough to see the non enlightened quietly slope off into the distance and he's made it very clear that a return is planned for the future so we didn't let him down with the promise of a pleasant weekend away with a small group of race fans :beerjug:

I spotted your pick up in R's Fb feed. I don't think you had any of the scarier members of the collective present so it was a gentle introduction. Did the hill climber get him on the Serbian fire water?

We didn’t have the fire starter present but Patrick was on form most of the time. R did say you’d spotted the red neck limo and asked if it was mine :D

It was a good weekend, Patrick admitted to losing the contents of his piss bottle in his van but nothing was damp to he must have either necked it or thrown it away without knowing he did it.

Gedinne

An excellent weekend.

A very relaxed ‘uncorporate’ race meeting on closed public roads. The entrants, no matter what their ability (some / lots are very quick) and the relative power of their machines, all do their best to entertain and to win. Good natured marshalling on what is, if you cock-up, not a particularly forgiving circuit. In short, it’s not far from the edge of the road into a bank or (worse) down the bank, through a four strand barbed wire fence and into a field.

Facilities wise, the shower block (EUR 2) is good and the crappers (50 cents during the day, free at night) pretty adequate. The beer tent is well stocked and pretty efficient at serving. The camp site is well laid out, with everyone ‘getting on’ if you get my drift.

My thanks to Andy and the posse for letting me join their gang.

a8cff8f88dd014b7bb61b952035ff6fd.jpg

2ad415c9e9f0a5983c22d216ead227b3.jpg

19094ad416965f330f562c15cc631171.jpg

0f87e877517bb2cf72a6e6fce237d11e.jpg

ba902cadbd985db691da64e2b2b43e9f.jpg

57f1e9d40b2da67387c8a3df03c86f32.jpg

5505055e353d997e46da11df780690fc.jpg

401172f41e3608311ad6891dc0a290fd.jpg

Not so much as a basic wooden fence twixt racers and spectators - I can't see the ACU approving that place....:D

Sounds like a good time was had by all, love it....:beerjug:

d9cec41cb33615dce78664adb19375db.jpg

Now that’s close.

Number 61 gives it away that she’s very close to the turn in point and it’s a bumpy 90 degree right hander.

She does look as if she’s having a wee.

Maybe I should have called her LPF :D

Back
Top Bottom