Long(ish) Way Up

Even if not an archeologist, you'll find Skara Brae fascinating. Try to fit in Maes Howe as well.

I bet they are only half way through discovering new stuff on Orkney even now.

Went to Skara Brae this morning. Fascinating but much smaller than I expected. About the size of a basketball court, the actual site. Also saw cathedral, but didn’t go in, standing stones and ring of brodgar. I went to Twatt, but they have removed all the signs as people keep pinching them, so no selfy for me. Tomb of the Eagles is closed this year. More exploring tomorrow, then head south again on Monday.

Went to Skara Brae this morning. Fascinating but much smaller than I expected. About the size of a basketball court, the actual site. Also saw cathedral, but didn’t go in, standing stones and ring of brodgar. I went to Twatt, but they have removed all the signs as people keep pinching them, so no selfy for me. Tomb of the Eagles is closed this year. More exploring tomorrow, then head south again on Monday.

I found the same problem, so no souvenir photo.

Both Orkney and Shetland have a Twatt :)

I like the setting of Skara Brae, the detail of the houses and just how old they are. It might not be a huge area but there is, I imagine, only so much they can dig out and keep from being reclaimed by the sand. Orkney is a treasure trove of the ancient and each time I go I tell myself to slow down, sit a while amongst it all and enjoy. It's great you can get right in there, walk and touch and enjoy.

I like the setting of Skara Brae, the detail of the houses and just how old they are. It might not be a huge area but there is, I imagine, only so much they can dig out and keep from being reclaimed by the sand. Orkney is a treasure trove of the ancient and each time I go I tell myself to slow down, sit a while amongst it all and enjoy. It's great you can get right in there, walk and touch and enjoy.
I really need to visit Orkney.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

I’m in Orkney now. The first grey day since the ride started. A quick trip to JO’G and Dunnet Head this morning before getting the ferry to Stromness. The ride from Fort Augustus to Thurso, with an overnight in Ullapool, was terrific. Warm, sunny, midge free. A real joy. Lots of little roads and some NC500. Not too much traffic and very few wobbly boxes. Loads of GSs and other adventure bikes. Got talking to a Portuguese guy who’d ridden over on his ktm690 supermoto, which had 50k on the clock!

Skara Brae tomorrow, which should be interesting. 3 nights here in Orkney then the long journey south.
Do not miss Maes Howe. Tomb of the Eagles too and rather different (ie more amateurish but in a good way.) There are organised tours of the Ring of Brodgar and the Ness of Brodgar (major ongoing archeological excavation). Just ask at the tourist place in Kirkwall or look out for flyers in the local shops.

There's a very nice Airbnb in Stromness I've used although probably booked up by now. PM me for a link.

Do not miss Maes Howe. Tomb of the Eagles too and rather different (ie more amateurish but in a good way.) There are organised tours of the Ring of Brodgar and the Ness of Brodgar (major ongoing archeological excavation). Just ask at the tourist place in Kirkwall or look out for flyers in the local shops.

There's a very nice Airbnb in Stromness I've used although probably booked up by now. PM me for a link.

I was lucky to catch the Ring of Brodgar when it was quiet ... later visits and there have been two to four busses in the car park, and most of the stones fenced off :blast

i-b9Z9MtC-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Closed for the foreseeable future, Peter. https://www.tomboftheeagles.co.uk.

If I remember correctly, the farmer who found it died and his family carried on for a while after that.

Damn. Well, hopefully they'll re-open once tourists numbers rise. Still lots of other stuff to do tho'. Maes Howe, is a "hairs on the back of the neck" experience. You realise you're standing inside something that's as old as the pyramids that served a similar function. Plus later Viking graffiti that the guide translates for you! :eek: I don't think I've been anywhere that's had as big an impact.

I'm home now. On Sunday I woke with a chest infection and spent my last full day on Orkney in bed, sweating and shivering. Didn't get to see anything. Didn't even bother with food. Got the ferry to Scrabster Monday morning and started the long(ish) way down. Overnight in Ballachulish after an excellent but tiring ride. Further 300 miles on Tuesday for an overnight in Warrington (living the dream, me). Hotel room too hot with the window shut and too noisy with it open. Gave up at 3.30 am and was on my way this morning by 4am. 5 hours later, mostly motorway, rain and spray, I arrived home. It's good to be home. 540 miles in 24 hours. Way more than I have done before in a day, but I and the bike coped well.

Scotland is beautiful. I'll sort some pictures out soon.

IMG-2122.jpg

IMG-2123.jpg

Lochcarron Golf Club is included because I stopped there for coffee and cake. It's not part of the golf club but is on their land. When Suzuki launched their GT1000 last year the journalists all stopped there for coffee and bacon rolls. They like bikers there. Good spenders and always pleasant, apparently. Coffee was good, as was the carrot cake. Worth a stop if you are out that way

IMG-2149.jpg

IMG-2138.jpg

IMG-2157.jpg

IMG-2163.jpg

IMG-0034.jpg

IMG-0063.jpg

IMG-0081.jpg

Nice photos. As is the Orkney IPA, hope to be on Sanday in 2 weeks drinking some of it.

Nice photos Derek, sorry to hear you were not well, hopefully recovered/recovering soon. Looks like the weather was OK too, a bonus :)

Thanks, chaps. Weather was great. Warm and sunny most of the time, except the ride south, when it pissed down for hundreds of miles while I was running a temperature and it hurt when I coughed. I still feel like shit, but I'll get better soon.

2,000 miles at 50mpg while touring some stunning scenery, stopping when I wanted and detouring also when I wanted. This solo touring is rather good fun. I'd do it again, although I did miss having someone to talk the day through over a pint in the evenings.

Coffee when you get back from Germany, Ade?

Definitely a coffee, back in a couple of weeks and will post a trip report as I go :)

Back
Top Bottom