Thinking about an older GS🤔

Bigjimknickers

Reaction score
Hi all I was told to join here after discussing older GS’s on FB, just sold my FZ1N & looking at an adventure style once more having owned a tiger 955i, multistrada 1200s, & a NC750x DCT in the last few years. I’ve always had a R1200GS on my watchlist but never test rode one, I’m looking at 2007/08 onwards to avoid the servo assisted brakes but that’s when they tend to either leap up in price or have 50K+ miles on them. It’s a dilemma as I know these are highly regarded bikes but they are so dam expensive! I’ve been reading comparisons with the 1050 tiger (I know it’s a road bike now) & they can be had so cheap compared to the GS I’m tempted. But I still have a GS itch…#instantbuyerremorse. 😂

I'd be looking at a twin cam from around 2010-13. My logic is that this is the final iteration of the "oilhead" BMs where the ABS and final drive issues were pretty much sorted and the TC motor gives lots of torque and enough power. I'd avoid the earlier liquid cooled models. BMWs reputation is for letting purchasers do the Beta development of new models. However, there will be many who purchased good uns and will be very happy with their choice.

Become a subscriber and have a look at the For Sale section. There's a couple of good uns there, being sold by established members with good reputations.

Hi all I was told to join here after discussing older GS’s on FB, just sold my FZ1N & looking at an adventure style once more having owned a tiger 955i, multistrada 1200s, & a NC750x DCT in the last few years. I’ve always had a R1200GS on my watchlist but never test rode one, I’m looking at 2007/08 onwards to avoid the servo assisted brakes but that’s when they tend to either leap up in price or have 50K+ miles on them. It’s a dilemma as I know these are highly regarded bikes but they are so dam expensive! I’ve been reading comparisons with the 1050 tiger (I know it’s a road bike now) & they can be had so cheap compared to the GS I’m tempted. But I still have a GS itch…#instantbuyerremorse. ��

There is a reason for this! ;)

Have a look at the price of 1150s and then look at the price of 35 year old GSs..... they make your 1200 wish look cheap. :thumby:

Friend of mine has a R1150GS with 177000 miles on it, so 50k miles may not be such a big issue.

I traded in my 2009 R1200GSA with Bahnstormer two weeks ago, full factory luggage and lots of farkles.

It had 52K on the clock and still ran like a swiss watch.

I fully maintained it once out of warranty, anything it needed it got including a gearbox rebuild at 50k to solve a noise, two clutches (one for slip, one whilst it was in bits), alternator change (cracked casing), new coils etc etc it was a great bike.

The experiences I got touring on that bike will last a lifetime.

Don't be scared of the mileage if the bike is well maintained.

Perhaps wrong part of the country for you but I have a very nice Triple Black twin cam for sale in Derbyshire.
No ABS, no servo, no electronic suspension- - just a very well maintained bike, with worthwhile farkles, with just under 55k on (nothing for one of these).
(Derbyshire)

Perhaps wrong part of the country for you but I have a very nice Triple Black twin cam for sale in Derbyshire.
No ABS, no servo, no electronic suspension- - just a very well maintained bike, with worthwhile farkles, with just under 55k on (nothing for one of these).
(Derbyshire)
I traded a similar bike last year, perfect description of it, brilliant bike. No work needed apart from regular servicing. Only reason I traded it was I fancied a change after 20 years of GS’s and I still have an 1150 for the boxer experience.

I traded a similar bike last year, perfect description of it, brilliant bike. No work needed apart from regular servicing. Only reason I traded it was I fancied a change after 20 years of GS’s and I still have an 1150 for the boxer experience.

I still have an airhead ( and unfortunately, as I’ve seen another bike I’d love, the Triple Black!)

either leap up in price or have 50K+ miles on them

You are talking about 15 year old bikes. 50k miles is the bare minimum they should have covered in that lifespan.
I'd be wary of anything below 50k miles to be honest.

I am the happy owner of a 2007 GSA.

Said that, as most pointed out, if the bike has been properly looked after, high mileage should not be a problem. Most expensive bits to look after on higher mileage bikes are (in order of cost) shocks, clutch and rear drive bearing.
Consider that when looking.

Welcome Bigjimknickers,

I would advise you subscribe to this forum to view the bikes for sale on here and give you a better perspective on the value of the bikes and the sellers than Facebook can.

A well maintained GS will easily run well beyond 100k miles.

The twin cam from 2010 is a peach of an engine and still in production being used in the R9t bikes.

Richard (timeandtide) is meticulous with all of his bikes and if I had space for another GS I would be looking to do a deal with him.

Welcome Bigjimknickers,

I would advise you subscribe to this forum to view the bikes for sale on here and give you a better perspective on the value of the bikes and the sellers than Facebook can.

A well maintained GS will easily run well beyond 100k miles.

The twin cam from 2010 is a peach of an engine and still in production being used in the R9t bikes.

Richard (timeandtide) is meticulous with all of his bikes and if I had space for another GS I would be looking to do a deal with him.

That’s very kind of you Gerry - thank you!
(An entirely unsolicited testimonial folks!:thumby:)

Thanks guys, my budget depicted my choice in the end & I ended up with a yellow 2005 47k part BM service history then it was a private garage, it’s certainly been ridden not hidden but with some tlc it will be shining once more, plus I got the full vario pannier set that most seem to keep! I’m very happy with it so far & today I’m fitting a new tyre on the rear so they are matching (Anakee adventure) I’ve got a service kit too that I’ll do next week then it’s ready to tour!!

017LNAzpdVO8SPYYfnGOTQDWA