S1000XR / gen 1 vs gen 2

Boxerlust

Reaction score
I ride a 1250GS which is probably the best motorcycle you can buy.Therefore you see so many but sometimes I get the itch for an XR because I like the top-end power that gives you such a rush.It is fun but also can get you in trouble as we all know.My dealer had a low mile trade-in 2019 last of the gen 1 models on the floor.Took her out on a test-ride and thought what a bike.I mean the GS is great has driveshaft good handling and more power up to 8000 rpm and no dive Telelever and feels like a Hoovercraft no matter how bad the pavement is like magic. But the XR is so much fun between 8000 and 11000 rpm and the intake roar is intoxicating.Only bad thing in dynamic-pro mode the ride is like riding on a board on todays less than perfect roads as also it sucks gas which is getting expensive nowadays...I thought I buy it because it is so much fun to finally get it out of my system especially since the newer ones are not as wild anymore...I thought !
But then another guy I know comes by and let me ride his 2020 gen 2 S1000XR in dynamic-pro mode with a Akrapovic Carbon slip-on.to compare.I must say I was positively surprised.Except for the intake roar the sound was still there and it felt just as fast with even 1000 rpm more to play with on top.Handling on both bikes is great as in quick steering and stable at high speeds.But the new bike felt like the road I just rode on just got repaved.The suspension felt way better as more compliant.Also the TFT screen and tank compartment a la GSA are nice features.The new one felt just as fast as the old one and still sounds great if you get the Akrapovic exhaust.But if you have an old one it is still so good that there is really no needto upgrade because handling and motor are about the same unless you ride on bumpy roads where the new one soaks up the bumps much better which translates in faster riding.Also you can feel the 30 lbs less on the new bike as also the lower and narrower handlebar are on the plus side too.
In the first 3 gears they both felt the same...Much faster than either 1290 or Multistrada V4 ! In the gears 4,5,6 the older one is shorter geared but the power pretty much felt the same between gen 1 and gen 2 while I saw 155mph on the old bike and 161 on the newer one.Both pretty fast and fast enough for the street.Probably even capable and fun enough on a track day giving in only to very few fast guys on real superbikes...
As for further improvement I can live with the seat as both bikes had the higher HP seats but a seat for even easier hanging-off would be nice.As for vibration both bikes no issue for me.I was really excited after the testrides...
I think next season I will go for the XR with the M-package or maybe the M1000XR gains even shift-cam or 1100 cc which would be great and then maybe go back to Telelever & shaftdrive with the new 1300/1400GS after a season or 2 after the bugs are worked out and getting more mature...:D Or the GS gets 160 hp and 17 inch wheels and there is really no gap to the XR...who knows what the autumn brings to celebrate 100 years of BMW Motorrad.
Moral of the story both GS 1250 and XR 1000 are great bikes...:thumb2

I ride a KTM 1290 SAR.Amongst others….
I know it’s probably not the best motorcycle in the world .
But it sure is better than a 1250GS.
And as for an XR ? What utter tosh .
Vibey soulless sewing machine ,
Some people really need to remove the BMW corporate blinkers . There’s a whole world out there ! :)

Some people really need to remove the BMW corporate blinkers . There’s a whole world out there ! :)

To be fair the Gen 1 XR i had was a very very good bike !

I can say with certainty that it wasnt as fast as a KTM Super duke as my mate had one and we drag raced them and the XR only started to make ground when aerodynamics came into play at about 150MPH

So i doubt very much if it is any faster than a Multi V4 PP

I can say withabsolute certainty that the Gen2 is no where near as fast as my SF as my mate has the Gen 2 and the SF leaves it way behind and that has nothing to do with the riders as we swapped and he went away from me on the XR having never ridden a SF before where i had ridden an XR and was familliar with how to make one go quickly

So having typed all this Boxrfrogs is just trolling and talking bollocks

The idiot brigade is still here...LOL You guys are clueless...Peter Hickman won the TT on a soulless sewing machine...:D
The 1290 KTM is utter shit when it comes to handling and engine...Handling is crap and engine useless as it only wants to wheely.
As far as gen 1 vs gen 2 I also thought the old one was faster but apparently while the glorious intake honk is gone in dynamic-pro with Akra slip-on the new one is just as fast and sounds as good as the old one which surprised myself...:thumby:
The Multilala V4 felt like a sporty Tourer while the S1000XR in comparison to both KTM and Ducati felt like a real superbike but a comfortable and practical one...Much better handling as in quicker steering and more stable at speed ! As for acceleration by by KTM and the Duc is even slower but has more roll on than the KTM that needs at least 4000 rpm to accelerate without beating up the chain...
Next year I get me a XR and then back to a GS...We'll see if the idiots at Nato have not started WW-3 or gas has become a luxury only for the ultra-rich...Routin' for Putin !

All of these bikes are quick, XR, Super Duke, V4S etc. The Pike Peak version of the V4S is no quicker than the standard version - same engine, although it maybe better around a race track.

The idiot brigade is still here...LOL You guys are clueless...Peter Hickman won the TT on a soulless sewing machine...:D
The 1290 KTM is utter shit when it comes to handling and engine...Handling is crap and engine useless as it only wants to wheely.
As far as gen 1 vs gen 2 I also thought the old one was faster but apparently while the glorious intake honk is gone in dynamic-pro with Akra slip-on the new one is just as fast and sounds as good as the old one which surprised myself...:thumby:
The Multilala V4 felt like a sporty Tourer while the S1000XR in comparison to both KTM and Ducati felt like a real superbike but a comfortable and practical one...Much better handling as in quicker steering and more stable at speed ! As for acceleration by by KTM and the Duc is even slower but has more roll on than the KTM that needs at least 4000 rpm to accelerate without beating up the chain...
Next year I get me a XR and then back to a GS...We'll see if the idiots at Nato have not started WW-3 or gas has become a luxury only for the ultra-rich...Routin' for Putin !

I see you are fluent in wankwaffle

The GS is so good , yet you won’t buy a new 13/1400 for a while as you just know it’ll be riddled with faults and recalls !! And yet you still go back .
There are idiots on here but what you fail to realise is you are regarded by most as the biggest idiot that seems to pop up every now and then when the meds wear off , spouting the same old blinkered shite.
We get it . You love all things BMW .
The GS is still shite though :))

My Gen 2 XR is pretty smooth, much more so than the 2016 Gen 1 I tested, and definitely smoother than my old 2019 R1250GS. It’s very fast above 8k rpm too :green gri

It does lack character though and a Multistrada V4 is still appealing to me. I discounted KTM as I have no local dealers.

The idiot brigade is still here...LOL You guys are clueless...Peter Hickman won the TT on a soulless sewing machine... !

And Boxertwats is leading the charge! I bet Peter Hickman is relieved that Boxertwats wasn’t riding his GS!

As for riding fast the GS with sports-suspension is probably still the one on curvy and bumpy backroads...But when you hit 8000 rpm on the XR the GS is toast...Especially on the second gen XR that goes another 1000 rpm all the way to 12...That excitement never gets old the feeling being shot out of a cannon ! 60 lbs less weight is also not bad...But I wait for now to see what autumn brings ! And for all new stuff Arsey I always wait a year or two and let others be first and see what happens before jumping on the bandwagon...And as for a soulless sewing machine Arsey as always you have no clue...The XR is faster and way more fun than either 1290 KTM or V4 MS :thumby: The MS compared feels like a sporty Tourer and the KTM like a horse that wants to buck you off instead of getting with the program going fast...As long as the roads are twisty and have both covered on my GS...:D
As for Hickmann on the M1000RR it is interesting how BMW builds the fastest Superbikes for real roads like the TT and how a guy like Hickmann who is not the fastest on closed circuits is so dominant at the TT...No RR for me as the XR is the better Superbike for the street as the RR is really only made for trackdays where you dont need an upright seating position,bags or centerstand.
Saw a nice 2005 R1100S Boxercup with 15K miles with bags for little money...Would be nice to down memory lane but no ABS and only 90 hp at the rear wheel made me snap out of it quick...Too bad that they dont offer something like this anymore brand new based on the new shift-cam Boxer !

I owned a Gen 1 XR at the same time as a GS.

I know which one was the better all rounder....the XR was a hoot in the twisties though.

Troppo I will give the new 2024 another try since the new GS fell short of some of my expectations…Always loved riding the XR every time I did like no other bike but never bought one because of the GS has no chain , Telelever I love and the boxer protects your legs !

Troppo I am 💯% with You - A M1300GS with more topend , 17” wheels and hopefully adequate tank size because even in WSBK they run 24 liters would be awesome ! Well see…

Back
Top Bottom