TOR Proxy server

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
I've been messing around with Raspberry Pi's and have come across one of the many things you can use them for - a TOR proxy server.

This sent me down the rabbit hole of learning a bit about TOR, what the Deep Web is and how it's different from the Dark Web.

I had a quick peek into the Dark Web yesterday for the first time. It's a very strange place indeed.

However, I learned that it was created for good and that TOR allows for a huge level of privacy so the idea of setting up a Pi as a proxy kind of appeals.

Just wondered if anyone else is doing that already and if it's caused any real world issues?

I'm guessing that speed might be one of them but I don't really know if that's true or not.

Very interesting.

I've used my Pi for many things...Kodi box, Linux box, Squeezebox emulator and now using it as a Pi-Hole box. And its only destroyed 2 sd cards in about 10 years.

Just wondered if anyone else is doing that already and if it's caused any real world issues?

Speed issues.
It is true.

I guess it depends on what one does online though.

None of my stuff is particularly data heavy. Video calls for work and a bit of netflix.

Every now and then I still do some artwork for old clients and have a Gig or so of data to upload - but it's only occasional and I can live with it taking a bit longer.

I suppose it won't cost me much to get a Pi and just try it. If it doesn't work as I want it then I can repurpose it for something else....

Yes, to be fair I don't think it would affect the majority of users.
I tried it once ages ago. I do need a snappy connection (and I don't have one currently :mad: - thanks Sky) but never insisted with Tor or VPNs as I don't see the point for my particular usage case :)

One thing where I suspect it can become a nightmare is corporate authentication. Say Microsoft accounts and all that crap.
I do have to re-authenticate on average 20 times per day because of how the system sees my online activity when working remotely (multiple devices, couple of connections, etc.). I suspect using any anonymization systems in the middle would make it all more painful. Just a thought.

Interesting point.

Hadn't thought about that. Might still give it a go just for the fun of it.

I just found out that there's a Dark Web Facebook :D

Is there a Dark Web version of UKGSer? I think we should be told.... :dabone

Back
Top Bottom