GS-911 updates thread

HEX Support

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey guys

We're starting a thread here to keep everyone updated on the latest releases of the GS-911 software - June's update was released last week and the full change log can be found below:
https://www.hexgs911.com/news/june-2022-software-and-firmware-upgrades/

The biggest highlights from the diagnostic functionality added:
  1. K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
  2. K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions, it's always helpful to see what everyone wants/requires.

Kind regards and safe travels!

Hey guys

We're starting a thread here to keep everyone updated on the latest releases of the GS-911 software - June's update was released last week and the full change log can be found below:
https://www.hexgs911.com/news/june-2022-software-and-firmware-upgrades/

1. K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
  2. K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions, it's always helpful to see what everyone wants/requires.

Kind regards and safe travels!

While you are here.
I have a R1250 and a F850.
Checking out the GS911 (Red type) App on my phone, neither of the models where listed in the Android App.
I did try to update it, my version is 1.0.7, connection used is WiFi direct mode.

While you are here.
I have a R1250 and a F850.
Checking out the GS911 (Red type) App on my phone, neither of the models where listed in the Android App.
I did try to update it, my version is 1.0.7, connection used is WiFi direct mode.

Hey Knutk

When referring to WiFi direct mode, do you mean D2D? More on D2D here: https://youtu.be/nlCgbs9AjNw

If yes, then you might first want to start with simply uninstalling the android app and re-installing from the playstore. Most of the time, some permissions aren't granted when installing, which leaves the app unable to communicate over a network.

A quick workaround while connected to the GS-911's network (it will read something like GS911_1395 - I've included a quick snip of how mine is displayed below), is to open your browser - usually Google Chrome or Safari for iOS, and type in http://10.0.0.1 - this is the device's default IP address and will get you up and running with emergency functionality.

If you are referring to Infrastructure mode, that means you've already completed the setup and the device is connected (identified with a double beep once it connects), then the first point is most likely the case - uninstall and re-install and accept the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively, it could be that your mobile is not on the same WiFi network that is setup on the GS-911. This could be due to Dual band networks that broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (note that the GS-911 is not compatible with 5GHz networks). In this case, I would suggest splitting the networks and connecting your phone to the 2.4GHz network.

If you are on the same network and still don't see the GS-911 in the app, type the following into your browser - it's the defaults page for a GS-911 that is connected to a network: http://gs911_xxxx.local , where the 4 x's are the last four digits of your GS-911 serial number. So if yours reads GS1 001 234, the address will be http://gs911_1234.local

Kind regards

the updates are to the red box - get it on a windows machine and it'll offer both new web interface and then firmware update to the box of tricks - they enabled lots of new features

I normally write down the updates (just looked)
Mar 22 firmware 170 - 0.230 and data pack 211
Jun 22 firmware 170 - 0.243 and data pack 219

Hey Knutk

When referring to WiFi direct mode, do you mean D2D? More on D2D here: https://youtu.be/nlCgbs9AjNw

If yes, then you might first want to start with simply uninstalling the android app and re-installing from the playstore. Most of the time, some permissions aren't granted when installing, which leaves the app unable to communicate over a network.

A quick workaround while connected to the GS-911's network (it will read something like GS911_1395 - I've included a quick snip of how mine is displayed below), is to open your browser - usually Google Chrome or Safari for iOS, and type in http://10.0.0.1 - this is the device's default IP address and will get you up and running with emergency functionality.

If you are referring to Infrastructure mode, that means you've already completed the setup and the device is connected (identified with a double beep once it connects), then the first point is most likely the case - uninstall and re-install and accept the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively, it could be that your mobile is not on the same WiFi network that is setup on the GS-911. This could be due to Dual band networks that broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (note that the GS-911 is not compatible with 5GHz networks). In this case, I would suggest splitting the networks and connecting your phone to the 2.4GHz network.

If you are on the same network and still don't see the GS-911 in the app, type the following into your browser - it's the defaults page for a GS-911 that is connected to a network: http://gs911_xxxx.local , where the 4 x's are the last four digits of your GS-911 serial number. So if yours reads GS1 001 234, the address will be http://gs911_1234.local

Kind regards

I followed the advise above:
- Started by connecting the GS-911 to PC using USB cable, and updated hardware for the Dongle.
- Removed software from PC, including WiFi utility, and installed the GS-911 Diagnostics
- Removed app from phone and loaded the new app from Google Play (Android)
- Entered WiFi setup for Dongle and made it connect to PC through WiFi via the network in my garage (Infrastructure mode).
- The new App alowed me to connect to phone via the Infrastructure mode, and the phone then offered full functionality, with all the functions found on the PC (but the small screen makes it a pain, compared to the PC)
- Selected D2D mode by pushing the button on the rear of the Dongle, and selected the GS911_xxxx as network connection on my phone. This offered the limited functionality offered to the phone when not in range of home network.
- The newest bikes became available on the phone as well

All in all, it now it all works, and previously I struggled to use the GS911 in Infrastructure mode. 9 of 10 times it would time out. With the new software it seemed to work just fine.

So thank you very much for the advise. It was 'Spot On' :okay :D

I followed the advise above:
- Started by connecting the GS-911 to PC using USB cable, and updated hardware for the Dongle.
- Removed software from PC, including WiFi utility, and installed the GS-911 Diagnostics
- Removed app from phone and loaded the new app from Google Play (Android)
- Entered WiFi setup for Dongle and made it connect to PC through WiFi via the network in my garage (Infrastructure mode).
- The new App alowed me to connect to phone via the Infrastructure mode, and the phone then offered full functionality, with all the functions found on the PC (but the small screen makes it a pain, compared to the PC)
- Selected D2D mode by pushing the button on the rear of the Dongle, and selected the GS911_xxxx as network connection on my phone. This offered the limited functionality offered to the phone when not in range of home network.
- The newest bikes became available on the phone as well

All in all, it now it all works, and previously I struggled to use the GS911 in Infrastructure mode. 9 of 10 times it would time out. With the new software it seemed to work just fine.

So thank you very much for the advise. It was 'Spot On' :okay :D

Hi Knutk

That's great news, and thank you for elaborating on your steps as well, I'm sure that will help other guys out if they are struggling and searching the forums. Whenever in doubt, you can always visit our FAQs on the website as well, if you're struggling with it, we've probably made an FAQ on it :)
https://www.hexgs911.com/faq/

Kind regards

Morning all!
I've been waiting for 'removals/additions' to be added to the functionality for a while.
I have RDC as part of the factory specification on my bike, but my tyre pressure sensor batteries have failed.
I don't want to change the sensor until the next set of tyres, and so would like to remove the RDC module from the configuration until I do so - to remove the yellow triangle from the dash (constantly illuminated at the moment).

Having attempted to undertake this, the GS-911 reports that it cannot retrieve the build/order/specification (i think from a remote server?). - I'll tag a screenshot when I get the chance.

My bike? R1200GS 2008 (K25).

Has anyone else had similar experience?

Thanks in advance......

Morning all!
I've been waiting for 'removals/additions' to be added to the functionality for a while.
I have RDC as part of the factory specification on my bike, but my tyre pressure sensor batteries have failed.
I don't want to change the sensor until the next set of tyres, and so would like to remove the RDC module from the configuration until I do so - to remove the yellow triangle from the dash (constantly illuminated at the moment).

Having attempted to undertake this, the GS-911 reports that it cannot retrieve the build/order/specification (i think from a remote server?). - I'll tag a screenshot when I get the chance.

My bike? R1200GS 2008 (K25).

Has anyone else had similar experience?

Thanks in advance......

Hi Mad Mac

Thanks for the details provided. Could you please send us an email to our support desk, support@hexcode.co.za, and include a full autoscan of your bike.

Then, please also upload your debug logs (steps below), if you have a Windows laptop, we'd prefer the debug logs from the GS-911 diagnostics app. If not, you can enable your debug logging as described and run the procedure, then upload your latest logs:
https://www.hexgs911.com/faq/how-do-i-send-my-debug-log-files/

Kind regards

Scanning through the latest update form my GS-911, I started to look at the realtime values.

For some reason, I am not able to find the real time values for the two buttons on my RH handlebar that operates the Ride mode and the button for controlling the heated grips.
Also, as my bike is a GSA (-19 1250) it has the Aux lights installed. And I was not able to find the real time values for this button either, nor for the daytime running lights.

I think the new dashboard layout is an improvement. But if I may, I would have liked to see a listing of the real time values where the values are filtered and sorted strictly by their respective controller.

As it is now, the presentation is fairly closely related to respective controller, however, the strict option would be helpful if displaying only the values from the sensors that are handled by the respective controller, as an option added to the current setup.

I've been a user of the GS 911 for more than a decade, and it pleases me so observe that it has been steadily improved over all these years.

Keep up the good work gentlemen. :okay

Hey guys

https://www.hexgs911.com/news/june-2...ware-upgrades/

K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

Kind regards and safe travels

Hey guys

K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

The fault code indicates that the ECU is not happy with the signals that it receives from the Grip module.

It does not advice to where the problem is.
But there are possibly two options:
- The Grip on the handlebar.
- Wireloom, including connectors.

If you have access to a live data readout reader, monitoring the live data may give you a clue. I would expect the GS-911 to offer this option..(and may be MotoScan ?)

If the potmeter is erratic, twisting the Grip, the voltage reading will probably jump about in the values, while a broken wire or connector is more of the On/Off type, mening the readings will keep jumping to min/max voltage rather than erratic voltages floating between min an max.
The min/max level exceeding the voltage for min/max throttle position is also a good indication of harness/connector issue, as a faulty wiper (as in the Grip) issue is not able to exeed the limits by much. (Keep in mind. The Grip is a potmeter, and a sensor will never be designed in such a manner that the wiper works over the entire range of the potmeter, thus a wiper issue may show values exceeding the Grip hi/lo signal to some degree.

Hey guys

OEM spotlights that are standard on GSA bikes are often retrofitted to GS bikes by their owners. It would be a useful GS911 feature if the owner could then enable these lights without having to resort to a visit to a BMW dealership.
Alan R

The fault code indicates that the ECU is not happy with the signals that it receives from the Grip module.

It does not advice to where the problem is.
But there are possibly two options:
- The Grip on the handlebar.
- Wireloom, including connectors.

If you have access to a live data readout reader, monitoring the live data may give you a clue. I would expect the GS-911 to offer this option..(and may be MotoScan ?)

If the potmeter is erratic, twisting the Grip, the voltage reading will probably jump about in the values, while a broken wire or connector is more of the On/Off type, mening the readings will keep jumping to min/max voltage rather than erratic voltages floating between min an max.
The min/max level exceeding the voltage for min/max throttle position is also a good indication of harness/connector issue, as a faulty wiper (as in the Grip) issue is not able to exeed the limits by much. (Keep in mind. The Grip is a potmeter, and a sensor will never be designed in such a manner that the wiper works over the entire range of the potmeter, thus a wiper issue may show values exceeding the Grip hi/lo signal to some degree.

Gentlemen.
I would like to apologize:
This post makes no sens in this topic. :green gri

It was meant to be published in another thread, but frankly, I screwed up...:blast

To Admin: If you are able to delete my post #11, feel free to do so, as it does not belong here...:aidan

Hi Everyone

The October update has been released and available for download or update through any of our apps. The full changelog can be found here:
https://www.hexgs911.com/news/october-2022-software-and-firmware-updates/

The biggest highlights for this update are:
- support for the new CE 04 bikes with the XAE and XOBC2 controllers.
- XKOMBILO cluster coding.
- XKOMBI53 cluster coding.
- SD card testing.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Hi Everyone

As Botus mentioned, the January update was a small but important one for WiFi changes to improve the user experience. The time has since arrived for the April update of 2023, you can read more about this below:
https://www.hexgs911.com/news/april-2023-software-and-firmware-updates/

The biggest highlights for this update:
- Support for the late 2022 and 2023 models with the XSLZ03 key less controller, which now also supports the RDC functionality. Some of you might've noticed that the latest 1250 bikes no longer have an RDC module equipped.
- The latest ABS module (ABSVI), is now also supported with bleed functionality. This is for the latest R18, RT and CE04 bikes.
- Battery monitoring with push notifications if you want to keep your GS-911 connected.

Kind regards

Oh my days, just catching up and changed the tyre pressure to PSI. My tiny brain couldn’t cope with Bar so thank you for making my life so much easier :)

Back
Top Bottom