1250GSA SW Motech Tank Bags

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a BMW tankbag on my last hexhead GSA.

I am considering fitting an SW Motech tank bag to my current 1250GSA, probably a small one just for my phone, wallet, peage token etc. The mounting system looks pretty easy and quick to use unlike my old one, and plenty of choice regarding bags.

I have looked on their website but they list a range of models and mounts to choose from and its not exactly clear which are the latest models, what the design features of the mounts are etc.

Could anybody who uses an SW Motech tankbag on a 1200/1250GSA share their experience both good and bad, or recommend a particular model in the range.

Many thanks.

I have the largest one. If memory serves its called the GS Pro with the magnetic tank ring. All I can say is that both the ring and the bag are superb. I would not take a long journey without mine. Filling with petrol is a snap....literally. No fiddly bits to mess around with. Pull a lanyard at the front of the bag and off she pops. Mine fits nicely between handlebar and mirror whilst I fill up, then back on with the bag which is child's play. The magnets locate the bag in the right position and bob's your uncle its locked in place. Have been over rough terrain the bag is fixed and that's an end to it. Moreover its waterproof in reality. I've ridden through day long torrential rain. All is dry inside. These bags are expensive but IMHO worth every penny. Enjoy

Thanks for the reply, that is just the kind of info I was looking for.

Does it get in the way when standing on the pegs ?

I have four to choose from!
Going away next week so will probably end up with my "day bag" which has room to expand to c.10 litres.
I have the tiny one which fitted well on the fireblade, the GS which is alittle big for me when riding, and a GSpro (?) which is about 8 litres and shaped more for a sportsbike than a GS.
As Bigt says, its a doddle to fit on and off, and sits securely.

I use the SW Motech Pro series bags on both my GSA (1200) and the Urban. The Micro bag is ideal for exactly what you are looking for and expands if you ever need some additional space.. Easily adjustable to the back or front of the tank and a piece of cake to mount to the tank ring. For longer trips I use the SW Motech Pro Engage bag on the GSA. Shaped ideally to fit the tank and no issues with using the bike on the loose stuff when it's fitted...

Thanks again for the advice, I have full hard luggage on the GSA for my stuff its just odds and ends that I hate having spread about or in pockets when it can all fit in a small tankbag that is easy to remove for fuel stops and at the final destination.

I just did a bit of Googling and found a good demo video so I have a better idea now of the PRO system and the sizes of bags. I now realise the EVO range is the outgoing model.

My local Infinity in Southampton are a stockist, I will pop over on the bike and try a few for size. A video is all very well but I think it would be best to see the product in the real world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_iZcaBlc_Y

Found this video more helpful when deciding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veo-xLoq7w0

I went from Givi to SW Motech. The quality is superb

Decided on the Pro magnetic ring and the pro city bag and the pro micro bag

Got a good deal with Sportsbike shop who were the cheapest for the city bag and did 10% off the other stuff

There is a bit of intrusion where the mount is fitted to the bottom of the bag but as long as you get the size you need

I had the GS sized one once-upon-a-time. It was mahoosive. Although it does not foul the handlebars, the handlebars on full lock are too close to the bag to allow free movement of the hands/forearms. Too big for day trips, unless you were planning to use that to carry large camera equipment or an overnight change of clothes. Even on long tours I actually found it too big as you simply don't need to carry that much stuff 'up front' to have ready to hand. So I sold it.

For day outs, I would use the Micro bag. It was also used on my sportsbikes, and provides a good size of space for odds'n'sods, even a microfibre and visor cleaning spray. It is plenty.

For long tours, I found a great size to be the City Bag. The City bag has a slight slope to match the tank, is narrow so it doesn't foul the handlebars, and it still allows good storage of 'more stuff'. Again, plenty for what you need to hand when riding. I found this the optimal compromise in their range in terms of usability and capacity for longer trips.

Whichever tankbag you do choose, I find there is a hassle when refueling and the need to take off/on. When the bag is fully loaded up, they can become quite heavy, and it requires care to not mount them without accidentally fouling/marking the tank. It is worth adding tank protector/helicopter tape to the tank to avoid this.

However, I have come to prefer riding with no tank bag at all. Instead, I am switching to the Kriega R8 waistpack as it contains a useful amount of 'stuff', does not require taking off/on when refueling, does not impede the cockpit area, and your stuff stays with you continually even when off the bike and leaves you hands-free. Security and convenience. Like all Kriega kit, it is incredibly well made, and it feels weightless when you are on the bike.

Edit to add>> the most useful I find with the SW-Motech tank ring is the ability to use it like a tray for bolts and small items when working on the bike!

Thanks Spareparts and HGS thats all really great advice and food for thought.

I have also looked at across-handlebar mounted accessory bags and they look like they could also fit the bill for carrying smaller items: wallet/coins, keys, passport, mobile phone, spare battery for helmet comms, peage dongle without anything getting in the way of the fuel cap like a tank bag would. All still conveniently to hand for the eurotunnel/customs/peage kiosks/fuel stops.

I was recharging my Schuberth SC1A spare battery via USB in my tankbag on my last tour so I could swap it out at petrol stops every few hours and have helmet audio and comms all day.

Have the City Bag and the Micro, and I can't think of any real downsides with them other than, as Spareparts has said, if you are using one of the larger bags loaded (such as the City Bag) you'd probably want to be mindful when releasing. Also, the zip for expanding the bags is on the rear of the bag, which could come into contact with the tank. I do actually have protective film on the tank.

If you bought something like the City Bag you'd have two quite generous side pockets for your small items. But if you were thinking of something detachable then they do make an accessory bag.

https://sw-motech.co.uk/collections...ory-bag-1680d-ballistic-nylon-3-6-litre-black

Something to be aware of is not to overtighten the magnetic ring screws, as I found that this could interfere with opening the tank cap.

I also sometimes use a Kreiga alternative/addition, which is a 20l bag on the passenger seat, and have to agree the quality is excellent.

I've had one or two things from SW Motech, and it's struck me that the quality is better than some of the well-known farkle brands. If I were farkling the bike from the ground up again, think I'd always look first to see what SW Motech offer.

I agree with everyone comments. I wanted a small bag and went with the pro day bag. I love the way it attaches with the magnets, if I pop out for the day I can get even my waterproofs in and when expanded I was able to get 4 pack of beer in for when I get home. I went back and forth with the micro v day bag but found day bag gave just a little more room for extra tops and waterproofs if needed.

My experience with SW Motech is with an EVO City Tankbag, 11- 15L. I had the tankring that would lead 12V into the tankbag, allowing for charging through USB adapter.

It's an outgoing model, so model-experience may not be relevant.
However, I found the size to be 'just right', far less bulky than the BMW bags. The EVO ring worked just fine, and I'm sure the next generation PRO rings works even better.

Even if I was very pleased with the size of the bag, the general workmanship and quality of the bike, I sold it. I happen to live in a part of the world where the weather changes quickly, and the bag relied on a cover in order to stay waterproof. I HATE raincovers on tankbags. So it had to go....

Now I see that SW Motech have started to make waterproof bags, so I may once againg take a good look at their selection of tankbags.

I noticed that they have dropped the electrical tank ring. Mine worked just fine. It had a system that would allow the ring-contacts to remain disconnected until the tankbac was mounted, and the contacts where activated by a magnet built into the ring-adaper on the bag.
For now, I use a Batterybank for charging. It works as well, but I miss the non-battery connection...

I may well purchase another SW Motech tankbag. If so, I would be looking for a 10 -15L bag with the PRO ring, and it has to be waterproof, as I cary camera and other electronics inside the tankbag.

I would also like to add some advise:
Whatever tankbake that is being used, it will rub against the paint and make it dull.
Using clear 3M plastic film, it may be purchased in rolls where the tape is 10CM or 20Cm wide. This is a glossy, clear and very strong film that will protect the paint. It may be removed without leaving any trace, and is easily stretched to fit using an hair-dryer. My personal preference is to use sopy water when adding the film. When the soap is squeezed out, the film sits tight with hardly any air pockets, making the film more or less invisible..

Just bought a used City bag with mounting ring via the forums FS&W section so now all sorted, presumably it’s the EVO mounting system which will do just fine, I would have liked the magnetic version but it’s too good to miss. It should be perfect for what I need.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Back
Top Bottom