Alternative to draining oil from sump plug?

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's an R850R.

The last two oil changes - i noticed the sump bolt didn't 'Feel Right' - some little resistance to turning as i screwed it in and it got tighter.
Although i saw no damage to the bolt threads or swarf in them - I'm worried that the sump thread may be damaged... :(

Would there be any potential for catastrophe taking this oil line off and draining the engine oil from here?

I'm thinking along the lines of something (possibly?) being connected to the other side or getting air locks in the oil feed or some other reason this is not a good idea :nenau.

Getting it helicoiled or using a Timesert is a PITA and expensive for a job i only think might need doing.

I know these are dumb questions - it's why i'm asking the assembled "wise men" for advice. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• sump oil line GSedit.jpg
    sump oil line GSedit.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 337
Would it be possible to syringe out the oil with a tube from the filler cap?

You can get a suction pump designed for such a task. If it would work on a boxer engine or not I’m not so sure. JJH

Would it be possible to syringe out the oil with a tube from the filler cap?
not enough room.

... The filling point is not above the sump
Am a bit confused by that - but agreed - not possible.

You can get a suction pump designed for such a task. If it would work on a boxer engine or not I’m not so sure. JJH
I have one. But as far as i can work out there's no way to gain access with the necessary diameter tubing to a low enough point for it to work.

Keep the ideas coming please!.
~~~
Thanks. :thumb2

Drain the oil. Get a tap and carefully run it through the female thread in the crank case. Get a new sump plug and copper washer. That should sort it surely?

First thing I would do is get the plug out and give the thread in the sump a coat of looking at.
If you let it drain overnight, it’ll be clean enough to see what’s what.
Either practice your yoga or use a torch & mirror.

Take it from there.

Tap the Allen Sump Plug a Decent crack with a small to medium sized hammer (I am talking a sharp crack, But not a 3 foot swing and BAMMMMM with a 7lb sledge!!!!)

It helps to break the electrolytic bond between Steel and alloy and makes it easier to unscrew

And Get a new 18 mm OE ALLOY washer not copper unless it is a compression type

Snug it back up to 32nm

Would there be any potential for catastrophe taking this oil line off and draining the engine oil from here?

I had the tendency to overfill my R1150R.
Alway used that bolt to drain the excess oil while keeping an eye on the level.

Never done any damage (bike lived to 120.000km and finished its useful life against a u-turning car, not for mechanical failure). :)

Not sure about emptying it all though...

I’d want to go belt n braces and find out for sure if the sump thread is knackered. If you consider the consequences of it failing in use, dropping the oil right in front of your back tyre and seeing you away down the street on your arse, it might be worth the effort. I appreciate it could be expensive to have done, but maybe a shed load more expensive not to.

If the thread is knackered a cork will do the job. :thumb2
Maybe.

If the thread is knackered a cork will do the job. :thumb2
Maybe.

As will a few blades of thick grass wrapped around the threads on the plug, reinserted and tightened.

Useful trick to use on any thread in emergencies when "on the road".

As will a few blades of thick grass wrapped around the threads on the plug, reinserted and tightened.

Useful trick to use on any thread in emergencies when "on the road".

Only if you haven’t got a pack of Rizlas …

While i do appreciate the replies, the time and thought youz have put into it - oh and the .... 'diversity' :augie of thinking and approaches to the problem :D, my thinking is this;

I’d want to go belt n braces and find out for sure if the sump thread is knackered. If you consider the consequences of it failing in use, dropping the oil right in front of your back tyre and seeing you away down the street on your arse, it might be worth the effort. I appreciate it could be expensive to have done, but maybe a shed load more expensive not to.

EXACTLY what i'm thinking! :thumb2
So, back to the original question
If I could get away with that for now - i can sort the problem properly at my leisure. ;)
Thank youz again for your time and help.

Hugz and kisses, :kissy2
~~~
Og

I had the tendency to overfill my R1150R.
Alway used that bolt to drain the excess oil while keeping an eye on the level.

Not sure about emptying it all though...

How about this, plus filter off, plus lay the bike over on the side of the disconnected pipe... then measure all of the oil that comes out. That'll tell you whether you got most of it, or whether you need to think again. That would be my first shot.

Drain the oil the way it's supposed to be drained. :rob
Stop pissing about.

Clean and thoroughly check the drain bolt thread and the thread in the engine.
Repair or replace as necessary.
Stop pissing about.

If you're not equipped or confident enough to do it yourself, take it to someone who is.
Stop pissing about.

Drain the oil the way it's supposed to be drained. :rob
Stop pissing about.

Clean and thoroughly check the drain bolt thread and the thread in the engine.
Repair or replace as necessary.
Stop pissing about.

If you're not equipped or confident enough to do it yourself, take it to someone who is.
Stop pissing about.

Spoilsport!
The hazard with using the external line to empty the oil out is that you are flexing a solid pipe and putting regular pressure on the facings - doubling or quadrupling your chances of an unintended puke on the floor.

Spoilsport!
The hazard with using the external line to empty the oil out is that you are flexing a solid pipe and putting regular pressure on the facings - doubling or quadrupling your chances of an unintended puke on the floor.

Bem,
Thank you.
For the first answer to address part of the original question.
(It is actually a flexi rubber (?) pipe at the other end - but what you say makes sense and i understand what you mean.)

Quattroformaggio,
as for "pissing about"
It's bleedin' obvious i will have to do the job Properly at some point.
I know that. :rolleyes:
But thanks for such a helpful reply. :comfort

Drain the oil. Get a tap and carefully run it through the female thread in the crank case. Get a new sump plug and copper washer. That should sort it surely?

If you are doing this coat the tap in sticky grease ,if there is any swarf it will stick to the tap rather than end up in the sump

Back
Top Bottom