hotel du Nord, Quarré les Tombes, Morvan, France

Wapping

Reaction score
The Morvan is a popular enough destination, either in itself or for somewhere to pass through. The village of Quarré les Tombes, is situated conveniently right at the northern top end. It has a two hotels * (the other is good, too), a pub / bar, a mini-supermarket, an unmanned 24 hours petrol pump, a cash point machine, a post office, a chemist, a church, a large square to park your motorcycle on and a baker’s. In fact everything a confident, self-reliant bikermate might need.

The hotel will NOT appeal to:

A. Bods who won’t stay anywhere where all the staff do not speak fluent English.

B. Bods who demand frites and ketchup on anything and everything

C. Bods who demand a full English breakfast with brew.

D. Bods who demand that their baby / steed is hidden away inside an advanced version of Fort Knox.

E. Bods who demand likeminds to chill with until three in the morning.

However, if bods are prepared to at least have a go at risking (or foregoing) some or all of the above, then I can recommend this hotel.

https://www.hotel-morvan.fr/

The family run (Logis) hotel is run by a very polite, very helpful lady, who is very friendly. She will certainly not throw stones at you, should you have the nerve to arrive on your awesome steed. It has a smallish but perfectly adequate menu, all based on regional dishes. The breakfast (though French in style) is certainly good enough to set you up for the day of hooning ahead.

In short, the hotel is very ‘French’, catering (as so many family run Logis type establishments do) for those who might want to stay - or at least, try staying - outside of ‘safe’ homogeneous Ibis or other chain establishments. Of course there is nothing wrong with many Ibis type hotels, I have used them. But it’s often nice and quite fun to stay in a nice ‘foreign’ hotel, that is maybe a bit outside of one’s immediate comfort zone.

*Maybe three? The other Logis in the village is good, too.

I can vouch for this, the very lovely lady there served me a most lovely coffee and canapés thingys just a couple of weeks ago when I stopped for breakfast. She smiled politely at my hopeless schoolboy French :)

View from the Hotel de Nord whilst drinking coffee

F042-A929-CEE8-4-FB8-807-C-4-F07-EEF0-B32-A.jpg

and coffee...

IMG-1906.jpg

and if going to Saulieu I can recommend La Vieille Auberge - https://la-vieille-auberge-restaurant-saulieu.eatbu.com/

but then that's authentic local French food... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom