White Gas

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
aka Colman fuel, Primus power etc.

I can’t believe the soot that accumulates on my MSR wispalite dtove when I burn unleaded fuel. I can use it in my Coleman multifuel stove without any issues.

Anyway, I thought I would try white gas but three camping shops later, nobody seems to meet the regulations required for its storage.

I’ve tried to order it online but fallen foul of the old “You are in Aberdeenshire so you are Highlands and Islands” shite.

Where do you buy yours?

I picket up some Aspen just before Portsoy last year

£20 for 5 litres robbery lol

Well despite having a machine place here in Inverurie that has a bloody great banner advertising the stuff, Aspen 4T is rarer than E5 in this neck of the woods. You can get a Stihl equivalent but it’s only two stroke.

So panel wipe it is then. £17 for 5l :D

Still a litle smokey at startup but way cleaner than unleaded.

Well despite having a machine place here in Inverurie that has a bloody great banner advertising the stuff, Aspen 4T is rarer than E5 in this neck of the woods. You can get a Stihl equivalent but it’s only two stroke.

Glad it worked ok

I have a second fuel bottle ,a special one for dispensing Meths .
If you use meths to light your msr - it lights cleanly without all the flame ,drama and soot .
Use stove to cook , then turn off n blow it out while still on blue flame .
That all works with no mess :thumb2

It's probably de-coking the stove, and will burn clean once it's done.

There really shouldn't be anything to burn sooty in napthalene.

Same with Aspen, as it's basically distilled, leaving all impurities behind.

I have a second fuel bottle ,a special one for dispensing Meths .
If you use meths to light your msr - it lights cleanly without all the flame ,drama and soot .
Use stove to cook , then turn off n blow it out while still on blue flame .
That all works with no mess :thumb2
Thanks Simon. I must confess that sounds like a bit of a faff (carrying a second bottle) so maybe I’ll put up with a bit of cleaning. With petrol, there were great flakes of soot peeling off and drifting away during the lighting phase. Not so much with panel wipe.

Thanks to everyone else for your advice and help.

I used to carry a small tin of flammable gel and use that for preheating the fuel pipe then cook on Aspen 4T.

I used to carry a small tin of flammable gel and use that for preheating the fuel pipe then cook on Aspen 4T.

I bought a few packs of Fire Dragon Gel from a surplus shop a few weeks back.

Not too sure why really, as I don't have any solid fuel equipment - But then again, I always used to keep half a box of Zip firelighters in the box as backup to running out of BBQ lighting fluid.

I bought a few packs of Fire Dragon Gel from a surplus shop a few weeks back.

Not too sure why really, as I don't have any solid fuel equipment - But then again, I always used to keep half a box of Zip firelighters in the box as backup to running out of BBQ lighting fluid.

Are you admitting to having prepper tendencies? :D

Are you admitting to having prepper tendencies? :D

Put it this way, I often reach for the camping box when running out of coffee, washing up liquid, tomato sauce ............ :blagblah

I did remove 3 gas lighter, 2 of those long reach boiler lighters, 1 Zippo and a fire steel, as they were all duplicating what remained.

Thanks Simon. I must confess that sounds like a bit of a faff (carrying a second bottle) so maybe I’ll put up with a bit of cleaning. With petrol, there were great flakes of soot peeling off and drifting away during the lighting phase. Not so much with panel wipe.

Thanks to everyone else for your advice and help.
I have it clipped onto the pannier alongside the petrol bottle .

Attachments

• 93920EAA-0803-477A-9927-39B63EC18B56.jpg
    93920EAA-0803-477A-9927-39B63EC18B56.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 60

Back
Top Bottom