R1250RT TFT

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all,
I was looking at a new RT yesterday and I have loads of questions. I assume generally it will be similar the the one on my last GS.
However, if using it with the app for navigation, will it still work if you haven’t got a phone signal ?
How big is the file size of the maps ?
I use a bt headset so will it give audible instructions?
Can I plan a route on my iPad , if so using what app ?
I must admit I’m still a fan of stand alone satnavs but may have change my thinking if I go back to riding a BMW again.
:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau

I lost my mapping while in Belgium recently so I'm not a big fan yet. I presume it was because I lost my phone signal. Luckily I have tomtom on my phone which I can fasten on the bike with a quadlock.
I prefer the tomtom and yes you should be able to get audible instructions.

Attachments

• 20220624_084720.jpg
    20220624_084720.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 344
The new RT has the excellent large TFT screen, as found on the new 1600.

The system uses the very good BMW Connected app. I have used the app for many miles around France and Belgium, without any significant problems.

Morning all,
However, if using it with the app for navigation, will it still work if you haven’t got a phone signal ?
Yes.

Can I plan a route on my iPad , if so using what app ?
Many apps. I use iRoute on my iPad and it's great. Airdrop GPX file to iPhone 11 and into Connected app is really easy and accurate.

I must admit I’m still a fan of stand alone satnavs but may have change my thinking if I go back to riding a BMW again.
:nenau:nenau:nenau:nenau
When you've used Connected app with the 10.5" screen and created a route on your iPad you won't miss Garmin at all.

I completely agree with Wapping on the Connected app, after a few wobbles upon release it's now brilliant. That and the switchgear is making me wonder if I should scratch that Goldwing itch.

I superb motorbike.

Yes.

Many apps. I use iRoute on my iPad and it's great. Airdrop GPX file to iPhone 11 and into Connected app is really easy and accurate.

When you've used Connected app with the 10.5" screen and created a route on your iPad you won't miss Garmin at all.

I completely agree with Wapping on the Connected app, after a few wobbles upon release it's now brilliant. That and the switchgear is making me wonder if I should scratch that Goldwing itch.

I superb motorbike.

You should definitely scratch the goldwing itch. Its a fantastic bike, not perfect, but fantastic all the same.We are going for a month in south east Europe in September. Cant wait.
Oh, if you try a wing, 2 things to consider. You MUST.....try a DCT version, so much better than a manual, and whatever you do don't take the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband etc with you. Once they have tried that pillion seat they are spoiled for anything else

One question asked by the OP was regarding the size of the map files. The larger countries are split into several areas - e.g. France Central 520.5MB, France Northeast 735.2MB, France Northwest 620.4MB, France South/Corsica/Monaco 635MB and France Southwest 659.7MB.

As stated above, you don't need a phone signal for the navigation to work, although you do need it for "traffic".

Although the system is now essentially stable, I must admit that I've still been using my Zumo XT with the BMW maps on screen as a "backup". Can anyone who is using the BMW system enlighten me as to what happens when you go off route? I can't immediately spot a setting equivalent to the Garmin "recalculate" option. If the BMW system can put me back on my original planned route and not the crazy Garmin "recalculate to the route we decide and not the one you entered originally" that would be a big plus for me.

One question asked by the OP was regarding the size of the map files. The larger countries are split into several areas - e.g. France Central 520.5MB, France Northeast 735.2MB, France Northwest 620.4MB, France South/Corsica/Monaco 635MB and France Southwest 659.7MB.

As stated above, you don't need a phone signal for the navigation to work, although you do need it for "traffic".

Although the system is now essentially stable, I must admit that I've still been using my Zumo XT with the BMW maps on screen as a "backup". Can anyone who is using the BMW system enlighten me as to what happens when you go off route? I can't immediately spot a setting equivalent to the Garmin "recalculate" option. If the BMW system can put me back on my original planned route and not the crazy Garmin "recalculate to the route we decide and not the one you entered originally" that would be a big plus for me.

Interesting. I lost my mapping for quite a few miles and had to use my phone as i was lost. Also lost for a short period a few times but re connected up.

So, looking at those file sizes , it will take a huge amount of space to load large parts of Europe.
For instance, we’re taking a month to go to Romania then probably down to Albania, returning up the Adriatic coast, or via overnight ferry to southern Italy and back home.
I have a 64 GB phone which is half full already.
I wonder if I was to put the app and maps on an old phone ( no sim ). Would it work ?
Failing that, can you fit a Zumo to a new RT

So, looking at those file sizes , it will take a huge amount of space to load large parts of Europe.
For instance, we’re taking a month to go to Romania then probably down to Albania, returning up the Adriatic coast, or via overnight ferry to southern Italy and back home.
I wonder if I was to put the app and maps on an old phone ( no sim ). Would it work ?

Lots of questions there.

.....it will take a huge amount of space to load large parts of Europe.

Obviously, you only need to load the maps relevant to the country you are in. For example, you'll not need the whole of France when you are in Albania (assuming you go there) nor Italy, when you are in the UK.

You have 32 GB spare.

Yes.

I can. Can you?

Here are examples on GPS devices mounted to the 'old' and 'new' RT

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/every...min-xt-and-would-appreciate-some-help.191467/

I plan to mount my XT onto my new 1600 (with its new large TFT screen) if and when the bike ever turns up.

When I was testing the Beta version of the BWW Connected app, I took my Nav VI as back-up. The Nav VI developed the well publicised demonic possession, rendering it useless. The Beta version Connected app was perfect.

The Connected app reroutes you:

a. Very fast.

b. Seemingly back onto the route you created. At least that's my experience of it.

Thanks Wapping - I'll give it a try on a test route and see what happens. Don't know why I haven't bothered up to now :jager Re the OP questions, I use an iPhone SE as a separate phone dedicated to the bike - with all of the European maps loaded they take 21.16GB. As you say, you can use a phone without a SIM if you're not bothered about the "traffic" feature or making phone calls through the bike. I have the XT mounted as well, powered from an ezCAN and easy enough to fit on an RT if you don't mind playing with the plastic and sort a suitable mount on the bars - I use a Wunderlich phone adapter stub fitting. With the "long" RAM arm the Zumo is stable and doesn't block my view of the TFT at all.

Out of interest can you use the power outlet on the bike in the rain ? I have now set my tomtom up to go above the dash and am going to power it up from that.

Out of interest can you use the power outlet on the bike in the rain ? I have now set my tomtom up to go above the dash and am going to power it up from that.

I use it on my RT for my heated gear in the winter and have done for years, never had an issue with rain

Back
Top Bottom