Carry a spare….

Wapping

Reaction score
This thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/581794-Germany-card-sales?p=6310373#post6310373

And this chuck-away comment:

Some cash and a spare card or two (carried separately to the main card) is good insurance.

Came true to me. Hopefully it will prove a timely reminder, not just to me but to others, too.

Richard

As if to prove this, I ‘lost’ my wallet yesterday morning. I say ‘lost’ as I could not find it when I left our overnight B&B stop near Calais yesterday morning. Having a completely separate second wallet, carrying within it:

A. Some cash.

B. A duplicate driving licence.

C. A second and separate credit and cash card.

Meant that I could, simply:

1. Freeze the cards I had ‘lost’, using the app’s on my phone. I could tell that nobody had used any of the cards, simply by looking at the latest balances on the app’s.

2. Put in a claim then and there under my Travel insurance for the ‘lost’ wallet and the cash it contained, again from my phone.

3. Get on with coming home as planned, that morning.

The hotel owner was kind enough to call me whilst I waited in the queue for the Chunnel to say that my wallet had been found, she agreeing to hang on to it until I came back to France next month, when I’d pick it up again. I then withdrew the claim (2) under my Travel insurance.

Morals:

1. It is not until you lose something that you realise how dependent you might be on it.

2. Having a spare back-up wallet meant that I could get on with my life, without being left cashless. Had it of been at the start of my holiday, rather than at the end, I could have carried on without too much inconvenience.

3. It clear that the loss of my phone, with its app’s - and being my only means of communication with the outside world - would have been much more damaging. I do have a spare phone, as my office (work) phone is separate to my private phone. But it’s maybe something for people to remember, especially those that use their one phone for everything in their life, paying bills, as a navigation device, calls, emails, app’s….. lose it (and your wallet, if you even have one) and you are potentially royally feck’ed.

4. I have a completely separate set of cards for my travels. My main, UK bank credit and cash cards, I leave at home. That way, I do not lose my life when I do come back. Not least, anyone dishonest finding my wallet does not have automatic and easy access to my entire financial life.

5. I was more annoyed that I had lost my travel wallet (with all the memories it carried with it) than I was over the loss of the bank cards and the bit of cash in it. The cards I could freeze in seconds; the cash was maybe £30, so (whilst tedious for it to be gone) was not life threatening. Had it of been a hundred or more (as some people carry, as they don’t or won’t use cards) it would have been very different.

6. Having a friendly - and honest - French hotelier was a real bonus.

7. Besides having the back-up set of cards, cash and phone, I always take a spare vehicle and house key with me, keeping them separate. If I lose one, I would be unlucky to lose the other; in short, life could continue, which is all that really matters.

8. I had meant to put one of those tracker things into my travel wallet. Had I have done so, I might well have ‘found’ it quicker. The events of the past 36 hours have reminded me to do it.

Or alternitavly, take the wife who has bank/credit cards and cash in her purse.
Duplicate docs gaffa taped to the underside of bike seat.

For those who don't/wont/ take their wives with them or are single ignore this rambling bollocks.

Good practical reminder from the OP if sods law kicks in re wallet safety abroad.:thumb2
:beerjug:

Good points Richard :okay

I was on the bike on a day trip in Belgium when I couldn’t find my bike keys! Luckily I retraced my steps and they’d been handed in. But now, if I’m travelling with other bikers, I’ll swap spare keys with another in the group.

Thank you, both. As much as anything else, after two years of maybe reduced travel due to Covid, I thought it might make a good reminder, not least, as the ‘loss’ was very recent and very real.

Swapping spare keys amongst us was something we all used to do but have got lazy about. It’s quite a good and simple discipline.

:beerjug:

To practice what I preach, I have just ordered up some Apple AirTags. Stupidly, I didn’t have one in my travel wallet….. something else I had realised a while ago, but didn’t do anything about. The ‘loss’ has given me the kick up the arse I needed.

This isn't a bad idea at all it also prompts me to think about keys i have considered hiding the wallet style key by gaffer taping it inside one of the fairings. Reminds me of the first time I went abroad on bike was in the ferry queue just about board now where is the damn bike key could i find it nope assumed lost so used the sapre that the missus had wasn't until we got off the ferry that i found it, in the damn seat lock

I gaffer taped a spare key onto the back of the wishbone on my 1200 GS. It was still there when I sold it, years ago. If the bike is still in existence, it may still be there.

How do you get a duplicate driving licence

Passport, i understand but driving licence, never heard that one before

This thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/581794-Germany-card-sales?p=6310373#post6310373

And this chuck-away comment:

Came true to me. Hopefully it will prove a timely reminder, not just to me but to others, too.

Richard

As if to prove this, I ‘lost’ my wallet yesterday morning. I say ‘lost’ as I could not find it when I left our overnight B&B stop near Calais yesterday morning. Having a completely separate second wallet, carrying within it:

A. Some cash.

B. A duplicate driving licence.

C. A second and separate credit and cash card.

Meant that I could, simply:

1. Freeze the cards I had ‘lost’, using the app’s on my phone. I could tell that nobody had used any of the cards, simply by looking at the latest balances on the app’s.

2. Put in a claim then and there under my Travel insurance for the ‘lost’ wallet and the cash it contained, again from my phone.

3. Get on with coming home as planned, that morning.

The hotel owner was kind enough to call me whilst I waited in the queue for the Chunnel to say that my wallet had been found, she agreeing to hang on to it until I came back to France next month, when I’d pick it up again. I then withdrew the claim (2) under my Travel insurance.

Morals:

1. It is not until you lose something that you realise how dependent you might be on it.

2. Having a spare back-up wallet meant that I could get on with my life, without being left cashless. Had it of been at the start of my holiday, rather than at the end, I could have carried on without too much inconvenience.

3. It clear that the loss of my phone, with its app’s - and being my only means of communication with the outside world - would have been much more damaging. I do have a spare phone, as my office (work) phone is separate to my private phone. But it’s maybe something for people to remember, especially those that use their one phone for everything in their life, paying bills, as a navigation device, calls, emails, app’s….. lose it (and your wallet, if you even have one) and you are potentially royally feck’ed.

4. I have a completely separate set of cards for my travels. My main, UK bank credit and cash cards, I leave at home. That way, I do not lose my life when I do come back. Not least, anyone dishonest finding my wallet does not have automatic and easy access to my entire financial life.

5. I was more annoyed that I had lost my travel wallet (with all the memories it carried with it) than I was over the loss of the bank cards and the bit of cash in it. The cards I could freeze in seconds; the cash was maybe £30, so (whilst tedious for it to be gone) was not life threatening. Had it of been a hundred or more (as some people carry, as they don’t or won’t use cards) it would have been very different.

6. Having a friendly - and honest - French hotelier was a real bonus.

7. Besides having the back-up set of cards, cash and phone, I always take a spare vehicle and house key with me, keeping them separate. If I lose one, I would be unlucky to lose the other; in short, life could continue, which is all that really matters.

8. I had meant to put one of those tracker things into my travel wallet. Had I have done so, I might well have ‘found’ it quicker. The events of the past 36 hours have reminded me to do it.

Oh, to be that organised.

"Dear Sir, I've lost* my driving license, please send me a duplicate"

* temporarily in sock drawer.

I gaffer taped a spare key onto the back of the wishbone on my 1200 GS. It was still there when I sold it, years ago. If the bike is still in existence, it may still be there.

I used to keep a spare key in the rear light lens.
Of course i don't anymore after posting about it on an internet forum. :D

Back
Top Bottom