Rocker cover removal

RichP82

Reaction score
Just about to change my gasket and am wondering if there is anything else worth doing whilst the rocker cover is off? Thanks

It would help to say what bike you're talking about and what mileage it has done.
As well as not posting in a travelling section. :augie

Just about to change my gasket and am wondering if there is anything else worth doing whilst the rocker cover is off? Thanks

Polish a couple of pairs of shoes and adjust the laces so they're even when tied. .

Serious answer seeing as though you new here.

The gaskets last for ages, but if you are renewing also renew the spark plug tunnel one as well (or just turn it a bit, you’ll see the present marks where it has contacted the faces). Don’t forget to check/adjust the clearances whilst in there, including end float.

Dwaine, many thanks. Should have put what bike I have 🤦🏽*♂️ R1150GS Y reg. thanks for the suggestions. Gasket is perishes slightly and needs changing so thought I’d see what else I could freshen up whilst in there. Thanks again

Dwaine, many thanks. Should have put what bike I have ����*♂️ R1150GS Y reg. thanks for the suggestions. Gasket is perishes slightly and needs changing so thought I’d see what else I could freshen up whilst in there. Thanks again

As said - the rubber gaskets (inner and outer) are very re-usable. Personally I always make sure they're absolutely DRY when replacing, and all the mating surfaces are also dry (otherwise they tend to weep oil when hot).

When you put the inner seal back (the spark-plug-tube one) - put it onto the cover THEN put the cover on the engine. If you put the seal onto the head (in it's little well), then there's a good chance the tube won't go into the seal properly and it'll leak aplenty.

The outer seal (the main one) has locating lugs so it's easy to replace in the correct orientation - just pay attention to all the lug location, especially those at the bottom.

You might get a little pool of oil at the bottom-front of the head, so just be aware of that when cleaning up the surfaces before you refit the seal and cover.

Oh - do NOT try to Torque the cam-cover bold with anything more than your fingers. (not your hand, your FINGERS). it's very very easy to strip the thread in the head. 8nm is what the manual calls for, which is pretty much finger tight plus about a quarter turn. (others will have their own way of doing this, but my way is to use a regular allen key and use the torque generated by 2 fingers pressing on the allen key about an inch or 1.5 from the centre of rotation, no more).

Are you not checking valve or end-float clearances?

oh yeah - if it's not come off in a while, you may find the cover is 'stuck' on. All it needs is a little, gentle tapping with a suitable instrument once all 4 cam-cover bolts are loosened. (have some newspaper underneath, there'll be drips)

products-copper_hide_classic_markings_2.jpg

Thanks loads, this is great stuff and will help me. May he a stupid question but can I just lean it over and work on the top side, therefore not loosing oil or is it best to just drop it out and replace? Thanks again

You could do that, but frankly it looses so little oil when removing the cover that I don’t think it’s worth the effort and then there is the risk of toppling her over.....
Don’t forget to place suitable container underneath to catch the oil...
Have fun...:okay:aidan

.... May he a stupid question but can I just lean it over and work on the top side, therefore not loosing oil or is it best to just drop it out and replace? Thanks again
There's no such thing as a stupid question, they are simply questions you don't know the answer to :thumb2

Leave the bike on the centre stand over night the oil will drain back to the sump. A very small amount will possibly drip when removing the rocker cover so, as albatross says, just have something underneath to catch it.

In case you are to work on the valve and end float clearance, work on them only when engine is cold.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

So, the ordeal continues. I changed the gasket and the plugs no bother. I did, however shea on of the rocker cover bolts whilst torquing it up. Happy how to get the bit out using an extraction. But the bolts them self seem to be as one piece and secured, not allowing me to take the broke one out and replace (with what I am unsure). Please help haha. Hope everyone’s Sunday is going better than mine

Think you need a new torque wrench. TBH, and without wanting to offend, put the bike in a van and get it to someone who knows what they're doing.

So, the ordeal continues. I changed the gasket and the plugs no bother. I did, however shea on of the rocker cover bolts whilst torquing it up. Happy how to get the bit out using an extraction. But the bolts them self seem to be as one piece and secured, not allowing me to take the broke one out and replace (with what I am unsure). Please help haha. Hope everyone’s Sunday is going better than mine

The bolts simply push out, they're held in the rocker cover by a rubber seal and washer.
Try pushing them with the same amount of force as you tightened up the rocker cover bolts. :D

Back
Top Bottom