Advice for Morocco trip

Gary Oil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping my spreadsheet is attached!
We're planning a trip to Morocco this July/ August.
Fully accept that this is not the best time of year to go, but work and other commitments keep getting in the way.
It will be me and SWMBO on the GSA1250.

Being very conscious of the temperatures at this time of year, I've tried to keep the daily hours on the bike to a minimum so that we can do most of the riding early in the morning.
I did the Portugal ACT in May, and that was hot 36 deg, even the locals were complaining, but managed that OK with the gear I have. I do not intent to venture off the tarmac on this trip!
I would be grateful if someone with a bit of Morocco experience would have a look at the list and give a bit of feedback.
Hopefully positive stuff, not, "get air con fitted" :)
I would like to do the Tizi N Test, but it seems that would be a very long day as there seems to be few places to stay on the route.

Advice & comments gratefully received :)

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• Morocco trip schedule 2022.xls
    45 KB · Views: 106
The Tizi-n-Test does have places to stay on the northern approaches...Asni etc etc. Some great hidden places to stay rather than Marrakech.
For a road ride leave early and don't miss it!

Doesn't take long to drop down the N10 main road on the south side then either right to Taroudant or left to either Aoulouz or Taliouine where you'll find some gems of places to stay....and some shite holes :D

It's all there for you to discover :)

Get a camelbak.
Keep 2 litres in it.
Sip every few minutes when riding.
You will have great evaporative cooling whilst riding,and not feel too warm, but will suffer dehydration if you do not drink enough.
On my first trip there, I developed a splitting headache at 12.30 on the first morning. Knew what it was. Stopped, drank 1.5 litres of water and a can of coke for the sugar hit, and was ok 30 mins later.
Beware of tangine cooking.
They can cook at well below 70c, and 18 out of 21 of us ended up with the turboshits.
Otherwise: Fabulous!

Get a camelbak.
Keep 2 litres in it.
Sip every few minutes when riding.
You will have great evaporative cooling whilst riding,and not feel too warm, but will suffer dehydration if you do not drink enough.
On my first trip there, I developed a splitting headache at 12.30 on the first morning. Knew what it was. Stopped, drank 1.5 litres of water and a can of coke for the sugar hit, and was ok 30 mins later.
Beware of tangine cooking.
They can cook at well below 70c, and 18 out of 21 of us ended up with the turboshits.
Otherwise: Fabulous!

Thanks Mike.
Yes, lots of water and electrolyte tabs is the way forward.
And immoduim in case of "turboshits"!!

it will start with a shart , just remember to dab rather than wipe . great place look out for stray dogs and crazy drivers on 3 wheeled carts . enjoy and wash your hands after contact with any local . mint tea is good but did they wash the glass? only took me a month to get over the food poisoning . but still had a great time

it will start with a shart , just remember to dab rather than wipe . great place look out for stray dogs and crazy drivers on 3 wheeled carts . enjoy and wash your hands after contact with any local . mint tea is good but did they wash the glass? only took me a month to get over the food poisoning . but still had a great time

Only a month?
You were lucky.
Working in Iran 32 years ago, I had a whipped Ice Cream out of a not properly sterilised machine. One of my German colleagues told me later he thought I was going to die. On way home, I stopped overnight in Tehran. Sat on bowl for 6 hours. Thought things had died down, so left room.Realised outside door I was still in trouble. Did not make it back to bowl on time. A full year before any sense of normality returned. Every couple of months, I get a recurrance for a couple of hours. The bugs are still lurking in my system.
Locals are immune to these, we who live in relatively sterile societies pay a price for our cleanliness.

Marrakesh, Meknes, Fes. How many royal cities do you need?
I mean one souk is much like another - and I love a good souk me. especially when I have the excuse "Je suis en moto, je n'ai pas l'espace pour une tapis."
Navigating those cities won't be fun esp if the hotel is central.
I'd suggest Azrou instead of either Fes or Meknes. Cooler in the hills and forests too
Great Roman ruins near Meknes.

Draa Valley and Ziz valley are great routes to consider. (I couldn't locate them now without a web search.)

Stay two nights somewhere and dump the luggage to explore some (well-graded) pistes.

Definitely worth riding the Tizis - Test, Tichka. Not to be missed I say. Respite from the heat too.
Choose a hotel closer to the pass if necessary.
e.g Asni. I remember being saved from a deluge and my bad planning in a lovely B&B there.

And skip Seville and visit the Mesquita in Cordoba instead.

Eating street food is generally okay but some vigilance is advised. On the square in Marrakesh see what's popular with the locals. Demand a freshly-squeezed orange juice. Keep an eye that your food is being freshly cooked. I think I'd be more cautious of salads.

And skip Seville and visit the Mesquita in Cordoba instead.

+1 Cordoba and the especially the Mesquita are well worth visiting, stunning !

I'd suggest Azrou instead of either Fes or Meknes. Cooler in the hills and forests too
Great Roman ruins near Meknes.

Stay in Idris Moulay and visit the Roman city of Volubilis just a few miles away.

Stay near and get to Volubilis early in the morning at sunrise.....

You used to be able to ride into the ruins and no area was out of bounds, and all free, and generally empty.
But it's all much more "organised" now, restricted areas, admission fees, and opportunities to buy plenty of tourist tat.

Attachments

• volibulas 3.jpg
    volibulas 3.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 290
  • volibulas 1.jpg
    volibulas 1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 293
For balance I did 8 days of tagine cooking and was fine. It was all the same, meat, potatoe, veg and bread to mop up the gravy. If you like a stew you’ll be grand. Enjoy.

Practice some squats to get your quads up to strength.

Whatever happened to Tim Cunis?

No Morocco questions passed by without Tim offering his experience.

OP have a great trip, and enjoy the planning.

I took an evaporative vest to wear under a twat suit jacket which worked really well and definitely kept my temperature down. Fill it with 600ml of water in the morning, squidge it around and then just wear the vest under your (vented) jacket.

I also bought all of my group one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009CKWXF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soak in water for 2-3 minutes, wring it out and wear underneath your helmet. Kept our heads nicely cooled in 46C in Merzouga.

Back
Top Bottom