Sending items to UK for Service and returns Customs Question

john_aero

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning hope evryone one is well,

been looking at having some parts sent to UK for hard anodising.

Question is when they are been returned how is the customs/duty handled?

Technically parts been retunred will still be owned by me and not new.

Thanks for the help

Not sure about Ireland but looked into sending some of my kit back from Europe last year ie walking boots, dirty clothing etc and it was liable to the same customs and import duties as new items

Not sure about Ireland but looked into sending some of my kit back from Europe last year ie walking boots, dirty clothing etc and it was liable to the same customs and import duties as new items

its turning into a pain in the ass now. nealy be easier try find a local or european shop to do the work

had stuff done at norvil and they wanted 50 quid to post it but customs wanted 450 even tho it was not for hire reward/retail etc

got road tripped instead - i was over anyway but the petrol and the ferry was less than half the cost of the customs even if id made a special trip - i dont think theres exceptions

I have sent shocks over to Denz0 this year and on the declaration I stated
"Temporary export of motorcycle parts for repair" and that satisfied customs

I have sent shocks over to Denz0 this year and on the declaration I stated
"Temporary export of motorcycle parts for repair" and that satisfied customs

I sent motorcycle suit to Hideout Leathers for alteration/repair. Very important to declare the purpose of the export/import and to retain the proof of postage or shipping. Make sure whoever is sending the goods back to you declares the same. I had a slight delay when the goods were being shipped back but I didn't have to pay any duty once I was able to produce the proof of outward postage.

TK.

Thanks lads so just need to ensure outward specimens states motorcycle parts for repairs and make sure shop does same sending them back

Thanks for the help

My Fuji camera broke again. It was sent from the Uk two weeks ago. Arrived in the shop this morning. There are complicated forms the shops had to fill in and they said getting the camera back from customs is a lottery. Can take a week, can take a month. But, no vat charged. Not sure how this helps but it is possible.

I’m picking the camera up tomorrow, I’ll ask if there is a particular form that needs filling.

At work we import/export customer samples all the time and we now employ someone part time to deal with this. It really is down to the carriers own system.

Post office is fine and UPS despite their initial agreesion actually have a decent process in case.

Good luck if you try DPD or Fedex!!!!

I have had a pallet stuck in Belfast for over a month as a result of an over zelous customs broker trying to earn his pound of flesh but as off yesterday he finally agreed that no duty needs to be paid so result!

Unless you have lots of spare time if it goes awol get it done locally at a small machine shop

Perfect

Think might wait and see if I can find some one heading over or see if find someone locally to do it

Thanks for help been very informative

Back
Top Bottom