2004 Adv ABS problem...

fourstonebloke

Reaction score
Been quiet for a while, as all has been running nicely....until....

Not ridden the bike for a month. Trickle charger on Newish gel battery. All seems very strong battery-wise, spins away and fires up first touch. Problem persists after long run to make sure she's topped up.

Senario is this. Bike starts, normal check lights sequence. Roll forward, lights go off as per normal. But. Back brake normal operation, front residual only. If I pump/hold the front lever long enough, I get 4hz top flash and solid General warning. At which point both brakes work "normally", i.e. with servo assist. Can also get ABS to let go if I use both brakes, but not on front only. Which is weird, as the fault code for that config is "at least one circuit in residual only". Which neither are?

Checked rear light bulb etc - all normal. Cleaned ABS ring and sensor and checked clearance - all seems normal.

I have noticed: Rear brake give immediate "normal whine" when depressed. Front however, operates immediately, but if held on, seems to "wind up" from low to high pitch, as if the pump is working up to normal?

What say the collective wisdom of this knowledgeable board?

Oh, one more observation. SWMBO very....."cool", on the idea of chopping in for a new 1250...

Cheers all.

How long is a peice of string??

You really should get the codes read! End of story, You can't really second guess this modern stuff

You say 2014 1200? Twin cam (Late resgistered) or Water cooled ?

Not ridden the bike for a month. Trickle charger on Newish gel battery. All seems very strong battery-wise, spins away and fires up first touch. Problem persists after long run to make sure she's topped up.

Senario is this. Bike starts, normal check lights sequence. Roll forward, lights go off as per normal. But. Back brake normal operation, front residual only. If I pump/hold the front lever long enough, I get 4hz top flash and solid General warning. At which point both brakes work "normally", i.e. with servo assist. Can also get ABS to let go if I use both brakes, but not on front only.

Checked rear light bulb etc - all normal. Cleaned ABS ring and sensor and checked clearance - all seems normal.

I have noticed: Rear brake give immediate "normal whine" when depressed. Front however, operates immediately, but if held on, seems to "wind up" from low to high pitch, as if the pump is working up to normal?

Oh, one more observation. SWMBO very....."cool", on the idea of chopping in for a new 1250...

Cheers all.

Senario is this. Bike starts, normal check lights sequence. Roll forward, lights go off as per normal. But. Back brake normal operation, front residual only. If I pump/hold the front lever long enough, I get 4hz top flash and solid General warning. At which point both brakes work "normally", i.e. with servo assist. Can also get ABS to let go if I use both brakes, but not on front only. Which is weird, as the fault code for that config is "at least one circuit in residual only". Which neither are?

Cheers all.

Get it removed. Never have the problem or worry of the problem recurring again! I have 1150 SSA 55 plate with 62000 miles. All been removed 40,000 miles ago. Perfect.

Get it removed. Never have the problem or worry of the problem recurring again! I have 1150 SSA 55 plate with 62000 miles. All been removed 40,000 miles ago. Perfect.

Your point is well taken, but I'd like to try to diagnose first, part curiosity, part coz it's been grand for 18 years.

So, RU left with just the servo assist? Did you have to take out bulbs on the dash or just junk the ABS relay? Is the braking the same - it seemed more viscous with less moderation while mine was playing up...

Why the heck I thought yours was a 2014 and a 1200 I don;t know

All I can say is that many have tried to fix them! 2 guys I recall had the humpy head on and reckoned they were going to kill dead things!

An expression from here that basically means It won;t beat me! a few months later their repairs had quit and I think they both deservo'd the bikes

Bottom Line is it is a totally Schite system! Unless you are changing fluids every year, When was the last time the full brake system fluids were changed in your bike ?

Good News you can remove it without cutting any wires or changing anything but a couple of brake connections You can use a standard rear brake hose or a straight bit of braided from the master cylinder to the brake caliper and The NON ABS front brake like "splitter" LINKY

You can read the whole thread but what you need to do is just here

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-IABS-system?p=5007032&viewfull=1#post5007032

Bottom Line is it is a totally Schite system! Unless you are changing fluids every year, When was the last time the full brake system fluids were changed in your bike ?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-IABS-system?p=5007032&viewfull=1#post5007032

Weeeeel, it's been sound as a pound - sounder actually if you look at international financial goings-on - for 18 years, which puts it in the "can't complain" category, and on the International Smiles Per Miles index, it's hard to down say it? Seems to me that mine at least, isn't totally shite. Like many of us, I've had a lot of bikes, and this one owes me nothing but good memories...at £82 a year fully comp, by the way. It's couriered blood to the dying, the missus to campsites, the kids into motorcycling, and so on.

Point really is that I accept that there are things that mean it's game over. And seemingly (I'm VERY dull so have read lots on this) times when relatively simply things - fluids, new battery, etc - sort it. Don't want to junk it coz I didn't thunk it.

Oh, direct answer on fluids - 2 years ago, give or take summer weather. I always get onto summer schedules.

how are your back brake pads? Any indication of low level fluid in the entire circuit?

Back pads are good, fluid in the pot likewise. I've not yet got down to checking fluid in the ABS whatsit, but struggle to see how that's low if the top reservoirs are good and brakes are good as and when. Where are the sensors that might get upset?

Back pads are good, fluid in the pot likewise. I've not yet got down to checking fluid in the ABS whatsit, but struggle to see how that's low if the top reservoirs are good and brakes are good as and when. Where are the sensors that might get upset?

The Servo ABS has 4 fluid circuits

Handlebar to ABS unit + Footpedal to ABS Unit These are the "Control" circuits

Then you have ABS unit to Front calipers and ABS unit to rear caliper "Wheel" circuits

But you should get a flash code warning for low fluid level

Are both brake switches activating the brake lamp ??

is the ABS Self test clearing and the light going to a blink until you pass the test speed?? (Or just blinking quickly)

Are both brake switches activating the brake lamp ??

is the ABS Self test clearing and the light going to a blink until you pass the test speed?? (Or just blinking quickly)

Yes, both good. Cleaned lamp contacts etc just in case.

Self test all normal setting off. Rear works fine. No pressure at front - just residual - till pumping a bit, the warning lights come on and servo braking comes alive at the front.

thanks - interesting. Looks like I know what I'll be checking at the weekend....

Back
Top Bottom