BMW 1250 Technical Recall

Are they just going to drill a hole and stick the bung in or will they split the shaft to check for corrosion at the same time?

Are they just going to drill a hole and stick the bung in or will they split the shaft to check for corrosion at the same time?

An insider told me they are awaiting tooling and instruction. The job will entail drilling and fitting the rubber drain, followed by inserting a test sensor in the rear ABS sensor hole and running the bike with the wheel off the ground, the sensor will assess driveshaft wear. If worn, the shaft will be replaced.

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

Exactly. Here in Greece, tooling is already arrived and few dealers started to implement new instructions. They said that they need to do it at 7000 motorcycles here in Greece, all the LCs. Imagine how much time they need to do it.

Mine is booked in for recall

Rang dealer yesterday, they are waiting on tooling to arrive? Anyway booked in for Friday 5th August, apparently will take 40 minutes, but they did offer me a loan bike just in case!!!

I wonder where they’re choosing the lowest drain point to drill the hole and how that corresponds to the bike being on the side stand, centre stand or loaded and being ridden.

An insider told me they are awaiting tooling and instruction. The job will entail drilling and fitting the rubber drain, followed by inserting a test sensor in the rear ABS sensor hole and running the bike with the wheel off the ground, the sensor will assess driveshaft wear. If worn, the shaft will be replaced.

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

yep this is what I've been told today when I booked in at dealer for a diagnostic check of drive shaft final drive for excess vibration!!
dealer booked "extra time" to complete the work, as its not just a case of fitting a valve but checking state of drive shaft and FD for vibration might be the uni joints failing that causes it but running wet and rusting cant help.....wonder how long new parts take to arrive?
still under warranty thankfully

ps
VIN check is key you can DIY if you register on www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk then do service recall look up

Is it a value that lets water out or is it a simple plug you remove to drain any water?

Mike

From what I've listened to, looks like any R1250 pre 2022 may need a technical recall for a mod to the drive shaft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKezMhxy9Nk

I've checked mine (2019) and it does

It's not a recall, it's a technical campaign. Done when a vehicle goes back to the dealer under normal service intervals

A recall has to be declared to VOSA /DVLA and comes with a lot more hoops

My bike will have the valve fitted next month. 21000 bikes will be done in UK. They also have an instrument to measure the moisture inside the shaft. If its to high a new shaft is to be fitted. SM had an A4 letter in front of me from BMW UK. Regardless (if the reading is low) I will have the splines done at the same time. Interestingly the area where the hole will be drilled is already marked, so this was something that BM where going to do anyway?

yep this is what I've been told today when I booked in at dealer for a diagnostic check of drive shaft final drive for excess vibration!!
dealer booked "extra time" to complete the work, as its not just a case of fitting a valve but checking state of drive shaft and FD for vibration might be the uni joints failing that causes it but running wet and rusting cant help.....wonder how long new parts take to arrive?
still under warranty thankfully

ps
VIN check is key you can DIY if you register on www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk then do service recall look up
Yes, I was having a chin wag with Glasgow today when I popped in to book my service. All gs/a from 2013 will be checked and rectified as is necessary. A lot of peeps will be looking for compensation as they have shelled out before this announcement. They did already renew my whole drive earlier this year under warranty. Although it is good news that they are owning up to a well known problem, it does make you think about buying such an expensive bike, new or used.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My 2022 year model bike with a 2021 production date does not have the mod , just shows I got a hard time with my 2017 1200 because when the final drive was inspected at 2 years old the u/j was seized onto the shaft due to corrosion. I was freed off during other warranty work but the bikes gaiters were all intact, it had never been off roaded , ridden in winter, not been jet washed and it was spotlessly clean .

My 1250 GS is booked in at Carlisle BMW for a routine service on 15th August, I have enquired if they have got the relevant parts in stock needed to complete this 'enhancement', they haven't but I'm confident that they will perform the modification if they get the parts in before hand

Had the 2 year service on my 1250 on Wednesday (20th) at Cheltenham Motorrad and they did the mod at the same time. They also inspected the shaft and did an electronic test on it and all was well.

My 2022 year model bike with a 2021 production date does not have the mod , just shows I got a hard time with my 2017 1200 because when the final drive was inspected at 2 years old the u/j was seized onto the shaft due to corrosion. I was freed off during other warranty work but the bikes gaiters were all intact, it had never been off roaded , ridden in winter, not been jet washed and it was spotlessly clean .

Same on my late 2022 September 2021 build. My friend has a November 2021 build and he has the vent on his. I have a 2020 1250 RS is this affected?

Had the 2 year service on my 1250 on Wednesday (20th) at Cheltenham Motorrad and they did the mod at the same time. They also inspected the shaft and did an electronic test on it and all was well.

Any chance of you posting a picture of the mod please

Back
Top Bottom