BMW 1250 Technical Recall

Not far away at all Stevie900.

Up at Llandovery this weekend helping run the "Beacons" big bike rally. We got almost 180 bikes competing for 2 days. A couple of older GS's entered, quite a few Yamaha 700' and big KTM's but mostly smaller bikes. It counts as 2 rounds of the ACU Championship.

I'll be back home on Sunday night so will sort out pictures on Monday.

Well I'm blowed.

I took my 1250 in for it's service today with 5600 ish on the clock. He told me that they would do the Cardan inspection whilst it was in. Apparently, they take the back wheel off and attach some form of tracking disc rather like the ABS and then perform the test. Apparently,it's optional to have the wee valve put in but I said go ahead anyway.

Much to my surprise, my bike needs a new driveshaft :blast are they making these feckin things out of cheese these days?

^^ Do you know if that was because the driveshaft had welded itself to the final drive, or was there wear in the splines/knuckle?

^^ Do you know if that was because the driveshaft had welded itself to the final drive, or was there wear in the splines/knuckle?

To be honest I have absolutely no idea. n Given the measurement technique I'd be thinking about runout or similar but then I suppose I'd be able to feel that.

I think this is just a case of "smile and wave boys, smile and wave"

Booked in my service at Allan Jefferies (Baildon) today but not due till October. They said they would be fitting the bung, didn’t appear optional. They also described fitting a sensor to the wheel to perform a test.

Three part process

Part 1 - Rubber drain valve fitted to swingarm shaft

Part 2 - Rear abs sensor removed, and a vibration transducer fitted in its place, wheel rotated and level of vibration recorded.

Part 3 - if level of vibration too high, new driveshaft fitted ( if shaft cannot be split from drive , new drive & shaft fitted )

My GS was built late last year and delivered just before Christmas.
I have looked under the swingarm and there is a hole to let the water drain out but no rubber bung.
I have called Bahnstormer Alton who checked my reg and said yes, my bike had the modified swing arm and no, there is no bung in the hole.
They said the point of the hole is to let water drain out so there is no bung is fitted by the factory - it is left open to the air

My gs a 40th anniversary model delivered to me in April 2022, build date not sure, has the drain hole and has a rubber bung in it ?

I will look at mine when i get home later, it was just serviced by BMW
they didnt say anything though.

My gs a 40th anniversary model delivered to me in April 2022, build date not sure, has the drain hole and has a rubber bung in it ?

Later models - end 2021 / 2022 models came from the factory already modified

Had a service today at BMW Wollaston, Northampton. They did the drive shaft Technical Enhancement work at the same time (1250GS); no issues all sorted. The work took about 1.5 hours on top of the service.

I was going to post a photo but I can't work out how to do it despite reading the posts on how to do it :nenau

Up date on my above post! The little rubber valve fitted yesterday is loose in the hole. I was giving the bike a quick wipe over and noticed that the valve pushed up into the hole, I inspected it closer and can't see how it's held in place, there doesn't seem to be an outer flange; think rubber grommet. So I can see this valve easily vanishing up inside the driveshaft. There is another thread on this site where others are discussing the same problem - search 'Driveshaft vent service campaign'

Agreed, I think it needs more design work. If the rubber valve (google Duck Bleak Valve) had an inner and outer flange then it would work OK, but as it is if you ride into water the valve and water will push up into the driveshaft. I'll be telephoning the dealer tomorrow.

Agreed, I think it needs more design work. If the rubber valve (google Duck Bleak Valve) had an inner and outer flange then it would work OK, but as it is if you ride into water the valve and water will push up into the driveshaft. I'll be telephoning the dealer tomorrow.

Surely they need a double-flanged duckbill valve, like...

carpigiani-duckbill-valve-p54-36_medium.jpg

7mm-food-grade-silicone-check-duckbill-valve.jpg

Any one know if these valves just work, or do you need to push something in, to allow any water out?

It should work by itself. In case of any doubt, you just squeeze it gently on the spoints and the center will open to let the water out. At least, that's the way I see it.

Back
Top Bottom