BMW 1250 Technical Recall

Surely they need a double-flanged duckbill valve, like...

carpigiani-duckbill-valve-p54-36_medium.jpg

7mm-food-grade-silicone-check-duckbill-valve.jpg

Definitely need a double flange one...BMW are fitting one with the flange only on the upper inside end

Mines gone inside, going in to have it sorted 2 weeks

Tech said he's had a couple of ones go inside and he now glues the inner face of the flange

Well I'm blowed.

I took my 1250 in for it's service today with 5600 ish on the clock. He told me that they would do the Cardan inspection whilst it was in. Apparently, they take the back wheel off and attach some form of tracking disc rather like the ABS and then perform the test. Apparently,it's optional to have the wee valve put in but I said go ahead anyway.

Much to my surprise, my bike needs a new driveshaft :blast are they making these feckin things out of cheese these days?

... so the bike had to go back this last Tuesday to have a new driveshaft fitted. I was very cynical about this as I had read that the issue is one of vibration. Surely I would be able to feel any driveshaft vibration :nenau

Anyway, much to my surprise the bike is now a lot smoother so it seems that what I was putting down to the character of a boxer bike was actually a squiffy shaft :blast

An insider told me they are awaiting tooling and instruction. The job will entail drilling and fitting the rubber drain, followed by inserting a test sensor in the rear ABS sensor hole and running the bike with the wheel off the ground, the sensor will assess driveshaft wear. If worn, the shaft will be replaced.

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

Exactly what I was told by the service mgr at my local bmw dealer when I booked in my 2021 gsa for a service yesterday.

... so the bike had to go back this last Tuesday to have a new driveshaft fitted. I was very cynical about this as I had read that the issue is one of vibration. Surely I would be able to feel any driveshaft vibration :nenau

Anyway, much to my surprise the bike is now a lot smoother so it seems that what I was putting down to the character of a boxer bike was actually a squiffy shaft :blast

What is the actual problem that all this discussion and BMW technical reall effort is fixing?
Is it wear in the UJ causing vibration/judder/resonance or is it at the other end with shafts corroding and seizing to the final drive/wear between the mating splines at that end?
Or both!!

In my case the bike runs nice and smooth. It was hitting a cats eye on an A-road and feeling a good whack through the seat (unlike my last GSA) that made me check my bike over for suspension and driveline issues and then find the shaft seized onto the FD splines. Its now at the dealership for inspection.

They said if they can't get it apart they will order new parts from BMW and replace the shaft and FD under warranty and do the drain modification. I hope they also put a good coat of Moly grease on the splines during reassembly.

My 2020 reg 1250GS into the dealer today for the 2 year service and recall check......... and yes the final drive is F****d. The bevel gear assembly is rusted solid to the universal joint on the drive shaft. Parts ordered to be fitted tomorrow, then need to do the 600 mile service again to keep the warranty valid. Going to Morocco on 8th Sept and going to be doing about 4500 miles. Why am I nervous all of a sudden?

This bike had the initial brake caliper recall/replace then the "won't start" and TFT dash warning bollocks resulting in new more powerful battery fitted. This is my second GS.... I may not buy another.

Recall done and FD was checked (no rust) and a video was posted to me. Well done NOG. Few screen shots from the video, for some reason I can't post it here.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 850
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 884
  • f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 847
  • f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,310
Beware the recall

Recall done, during ''procedure'' managed to scratch the cardan tunnel. Didn't mention it when handing my keys back, I found out once I had gotten home. Rang them immediately and was asked to send photo's of the damage. Was contacted 4pm the next day with an apology and they explained that they have to clamp the drill to the swing arm and whilst the drilling was happening vibration caused the scratches? They are picking my bike up next Tuesday to either ''polish'' out the scratches or paint the cardan tunnel.

Not a happy chappy!!

Attachments

• Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 798
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 794
Recall done, during ''procedure'' managed to scratch the cardan tunnel. Didn't mention it when handing my keys back, I found out once I had gotten home. Rang them immediately and was asked to send photo's of the damage. Was contacted 4pm the next day with an apology and they explained that they have to clamp the drill to the swing arm and whilst the drilling was happening vibration caused the scratches? They are picking my bike up next Tuesday to either ''polish'' out the scratches or paint the cardan tunnel.

Not a happy chappy!!
Good to know. Thank you. I will be very careful when mine goes in for the recall.

Not a happy chappy!!

That is shocking, couldn’t give a f**k attitude, very sloppy. I would be surprised if it polished out without creating a high gloss area where the damage is. They damaged it, I’d be demanding that they replace it.

That is indeed shocking, as the technician undoubtedly would have been aware (though tbf the dealer probably not).

Can't believe they didn't cover it with anything to protect the finish. Unbelievable.

Not a happy chappy!!

That’s a shite job

Just been to the dealer to mark the day for the recall to be done on my GS. They are very friendly falks at my dealer. They let you walk into the workshop and talk to the mechanics if you want. That was what I did. The mecahnic showed me the equipment for the execution of the recall, the shelf full of new drive shafts and few bikes he was working on. One of the bikes has just got new driveshaft and final drive as the splines were rusted together and he said in that case it's new shaft and FD always. Also, new shaft is automatically installed on all bikes over 40.000 miles or 65.000 km's. On that mileage, no question asked, no drive shaft testing. Just new shaft and examination of the final drive.
Then we talked about swing arm scratches. He was surprised to hear that and showed me the clamp. It is made of hard plastic and he said it was impossible to make scratches with it. He asked me to walk with him and look at the few bikes that were waiting to be picked up by owners, with the recall done. And there it was, half of them had swing arms scratched. One of them was really bad. The mechanic was speechless. I suggested him to cut a piece of bicycle inner tyre tube and make the padding for the clamp and he said starting tomorrow no bike will be done without padding.

This is going to turn into a disaster , with lots requesting new cardan tunnels ( or whatever they are called ). Nobody will regard that damage as acceptable .

Just been to the dealer to mark the day for the recall to be done on my GS. They are very friendly falks at my dealer. They let you walk into the workshop and talk to the mechanics if you want. That was what I did. The mecahnic showed me the equipment for the execution of the recall, the shelf full of new drive shafts and few bikes he was working on. One of the bikes has just got new driveshaft and final drive as the splines were rusted together and he said in that case it's new shaft and FD always. Also, new shaft is automatically installed on all bikes over 40.000 miles or 65.000 km's. On that mileage, no question asked, no drive shaft testing. Just new shaft and examination of the final drive.
Then we talked about swing arm scratches. He was surprised to hear that and showed me the clamp. It is made of hard plastic and he said it was impossible to make scratches with it. He asked me to walk with him and look at the few bikes that were waiting to be picked up by owners, with the recall done. And there it was, half of them had swing arms scratched. One of them was really bad. The mechanic was speechless. I suggested him to cut a piece of bicycle inner tyre tube and make the padding for the clamp and he said starting tomorrow no bike will be done without padding.

which means it wont ...

For some reason I get the feeling that BMW are trying to fix a leaking roof by drilling a hole in the basment....

For some reason I get the feeling that BMW are trying to fix a leaking roof by drilling a hole in the basment....

Compared to the quality breather arrangement (designed in …from the start) on the 1100/1150 FD’s and the fully watertight rubber boot between swingarm and FD, this looks very second rate

Back
Top Bottom