BMW 1250 Technical Recall

That is shocking, couldn’t give a f**k attitude, very sloppy. I would be surprised if it polished out without creating a high gloss area where the damage is. They damaged it, I’d be demanding that they replace it.

I agree Stevie900, I don't believe it will polish out either, if I don't like the end result I shall be demanding it to be replaced. But it is absolutely shocking service, for what is supposed to be a premium brand!

After my Holland debacle with the battery, my 1250 is with the dealer now for a health check, annual service, replacement of down pipes due to stuck servo valve and also this recall.

Hopefully all will be well after this lot but I will be sure to check for the scratches as shown above.

I've been branded since 1999 when i attended a bike ride to a Cafe in Burnham on Crouch. I was on my trusty Honda Transalp. A purple one ! Anyway, in a line of vehicles i spotted a strange looking bike. A brand new BMW R1150GS. I stood staring at this machine. In awe. My mate walked up and said "Fugly things those, But bullet proof"
Next day I walked into Cannon BMW in Chelmsford and bought one. R1150GS with luggage in Mandarin. On the log book it was listed as a R1150GS Sport. With an E gear instead of 6th. I loved it and kept her for 14 years. The bike didn't age. It looked as good when I sold it, As the day I rode it out of the dealership. Granted, I didn't ride it through any winters. 91k miles.
Since, I've owned three GSA's (2015, 2016 and 2018) Oh and a Triumph explorer (2013) but that's another story. All good. My last GSA, A Rallye has had New drive shaft, New final drive, new cams and followers , New down pipes. and GSAP. My mates call it "Triggers Broom".
This and with what's going on now, really has damaged my confidence in this brand. But there really isn't any other viable option for change ? That said the new 1200 Triumph Tiger Explorer is ticking all the boxes, and they must have ironed out all the nasty creases in the original one? BMW should be worried?

Recall done, during ''procedure'' managed to scratch the cardan tunnel. Didn't mention it when handing my keys back, I found out once I had gotten home. Rang them immediately and was asked to send photo's of the damage. Was contacted 4pm the next day with an apology and they explained that they have to clamp the drill to the swing arm and whilst the drilling was happening vibration caused the scratches? They are picking my bike up next Tuesday to either ''polish'' out the scratches or paint the cardan tunnel.

Not a happy chappy!!

I don't have any scratch anywhere, seems to me it's down to the technician?

I've been branded since 1999 when i attended a bike ride to a Cafe in Burnham on Crouch. I was on my trusty Honda Transalp. A purple one ! Anyway, in a line of vehicles i spotted a strange looking bike. A brand new BMW R1150GS. I stood staring at this machine. In awe. My mate walked up and said "Fugly things those, But bullet proof"
Next day I walked into Cannon BMW in Chelmsford and bought one. R1150GS with luggage in Mandarin. On the log book it was listed as a R1150GS Sport. With an E gear instead of 6th. I loved it and kept her for 14 years. The bike didn't age. It looked as good when I sold it, As the day I rode it out of the dealership. Granted, I didn't ride it through any winters. 91k miles.
Since, I've owned three GSA's (2015, 2016 and 2018) Oh and a Triumph explorer (2013) but that's another story. All good. My last GSA, A Rallye has had New drive shaft, New final drive, new cams and followers , New down pipes. and GSAP. My mates call it "Triggers Broom".
This and with what's going on now, really has damaged my confidence in this brand. But there really isn't any other viable option for change ? That said the new 1200 Triumph Tiger Explorer is ticking all the boxes, and they must have ironed out all the nasty creases in the original one? BMW should be worried?

I have the same thoughts. If Yamaha bring out a tenere 900 that is simple like the T700 I will seriously swapping my 1200GS for one.

Off to Spain in October for 2 weeks. Took an extended warranty 2 months ago just in case.
Bike is 66 plate 14k miles.

Should have more faith but sadly I do not

I have the same thoughts. If Yamaha bring out a tenere 900 that is simple like the T700 I will seriously swapping my 1200GS for one.

I am the same. Off to the south of France on the 1250 on 5th September and fearing the next problem. I would like to switch to something more reliable but am not sure if there is a good option. V4S Multistrada would suit me but is it more reliable than a new GS?

I would be pleased that BMW have at least sorted out these issues.

HD told me to feck off when the gearbox failed at 2 1/2 years and 18000 miles, not even a hint of help or ‘goodwill’ (even though it was caused by a well documented issue with the design).

What is most important is how issues are handled by a company. My experience with BMW has always been very good.

I’m in Almeria in southern Spain as I type, my bike has 11000 miles on it (bought in November 21). I have no fears it will get me home (I did 726 miles on the first day and 900 on the second day to get here, in 38c temps), bike has been faultless. If it does fail, at least I know BMW will look after me no matter where I am in the world….that’s a big plus for me.

I am the same. Off to the south of France on the 1250 on 5th September and fearing the next problem. I would like to switch to something more reliable but am not sure if there is a good option. V4S Multistrada would suit me but is it more reliable than a new GS?

When I'm straight with my 1200 Rallye it's out the door. Whatever the replacement is I think it'll be Japanese.
Suzuki V-Strom 1050/ DL1000 arguably aren't as dynamically accomplished but they don't have any particular issues. Not exciting but they'll get the job done without any worry.

When I'm straight with my 1200 Rallye it's out the door. Whatever the replacement is I think it'll be Japanese.
Suzuki V-Strom 1050/ DL1000 arguably aren't as dynamically accomplished but they don't have any particular issues. Not exciting but they'll get the job done without any worry.
Check out stator magnet probs with the strom

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

When I'm straight with my 1200 Rallye it's out the door.

Without trawling through your thread history to find out, can I assume this is your first GS/BMW ??

FWIW I have owned several over the years, they have all had issues however all issues were sorted by the dealers whilst under warranty. Anything past warranty I sorted myself, same as all the other bikes I have owned made by other marques.

Without trawling through your thread history to find out, can I assume this is your first GS/BMW ??

FWIW I have owned several over the years, they have all had issues however all issues were sorted by the dealers whilst under warranty. Anything past warranty I sorted myself, same as all the other bikes I have owned made by other marques.

You assume correctly!
I don't whether or not my expectations are unreasonable or but I didn't expect some of things I've experienced so far from the brand. I haven't posted everything about ownership on this group either.
I don't have bottomless pockets for repairs outside of warranty and I'm a little disappointed with the dealer at the moment but they have their opportunity to make things right and I simply won't accept the already provided 'they all do that' as an explanation for one or two other things I've raised with them. Monitoring something that they have acknowledged isn't a fix but feels more like a lets see if it/he goes away without us doing anything kind of response.

By contrast, they seem to be more willing when dealing with new bikes. Perhaps manufacturer support allows a greater degree of engagement with the customer?

I've had quite a few other bikes, Japanese and Triumph, new and secondhand and never had an ownership experience like this. Perhaps others (not wrongly) have been more ready to accept foibles as they have prior knowledge and eyes fully open :confused:

People only post when they have problems , because they are seeking answers to the problems

so the problem is massive etc etc

when in reality, the problem is quite small

no OEM is immune. all have technical campaigns & recalls

Count yourselves lucky, your not dealing with the Takata airbag problem...

now that is one to be worried about ;)

I owned 3 V-Stroms. One was 650 and two were 1000. Had zero problems with them. V-Strom is good bike but not as good as GS nor it handles in the corners as good as GS. The design is also poor and new LCD dash looks ridiculous. I'll stick with GS.

I owned 3 V-Stroms. One was 650 and two were 1000. Had zero problems with them. V-Strom is good bike but not as good as GS nor it handles in the corners as good as GS. The design is also poor and new LCD dash looks ridiculous. I'll stick with GS.

I'd agree with all of that. I actually prefer the dash on the new 650.
The GS does, without doubt, employ some unique engineering making it peerless and also very good at what it does. While there's thousands of trouble free GS's out there and accepting that forums are usually (initially) visited by folks with problems I've yet to feel confident and feel the love :rolllaugh

Technical recall done today as part of service. No issues. No damage or marks left. Barnstormers Maidenhead.

Back
Top Bottom