BMW 1250 Technical Recall

This is a much neater solution to the swing arm water ingress problem, just unscrew the stainless steel torx screw after power washing, a river crossing, or once a month to guard against condensation over Winter to let the water out. No rubber beak to get knocked off or pushed inside swing arm.
88f280126269f9bca9456cd030c14da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Until you forget, and it corrodes into place ;)

Never heard of 'Slopperkip' grease in your neck of the woods ?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Is that somehow retrofited to the 10mm sinkhole drilled into the swingarm? In which case, are you using an expanding grommet?

Although that raised boss looks an ideal location to put your bolt are you sure that it will be in the correct position to drain off any water - have you looked inside the swingarm?
There must be a reason why BMW drill the hole in what at first seems an odd place - and with the help of a special clamp/tool to aid positioniong - just to the side of that raised part.

attachment.php

Got confirmation our civilian RTs (Blood Bikes) are now on the list to have the shafts checked and bungs fitted. The bikes are now listed as arduous duty by BMW, so I will be happy the next time I am fording a river or doing trails on the RT as any water will drain out :)

Although that raised boss looks an ideal location to put your bolt are you sure that it will be in the correct position to drain off any water - have you looked inside the swingarm?
There must be a reason why BMW drill the hole in what at first seems an odd place - and with the help of a special clamp/tool to aid positioniong - just to the side of that raised part.

attachment.php

But you have to ask what assumptions they've made in that process- would that be the lowest point while on the sidestand and leaning, while being ridden and the swingarm compressed, or on the main stand. I believe the technical term is 'kluge'

2014 R1200GS LC , 42K miles , never taken off road and meticulously looked after as you can see by the condition

Look at the state of the driveshaft !It was corroded solid onto the final drive and could not be separated

No water was found inside the swinging arm whatsoever but clearly there had been serious water ingress in the past

Only solution was a new drive shaft and a new final drive

Hole drilled in swinging arm and one way rubber valve fitted and secured with some black Silcoset so it won't push out

Decided after the shock of seeing the state of the R1200 driveshaft to check my July 2022 R1250GSA

Plenty of Staburegs NBU30 PTM on the gaiter but not much lubricant on the splines so gave them a good coating of NBU30

2014 R1200GS LC , 42K miles , never taken off road and meticulously looked after as you can see by the condition

Look at the state of the driveshaft !It was corroded solid onto the final drive and could not be separated

No water was found inside the swinging arm whatsoever but clearly there had been serious water ingress in the past

Hole drilled in swinging arm and one way rubber valve fitted and secured with some black Silcoset so it won't push out

Decided after the shock of seeing the state of the R1200 driveshaft to check my July 2022 R1250GSA

Plenty of Staburegs NBU30 PTM on the gaiter but not much lubricant on the splines so gave them a good coating of NBU30

That’s dreadful !!!!

That’s dreadful !!!!

It certainly is

27996ea8167991f035f3dc0e0350f477.jpg

My GSA bike’s swingarm and shaft, after 65,000 miles and 17 years of use

Still got the grease on from the assembly line

Never opened before being built at BMW’s factory and no rust, no corrosion and everything slipped straight out, no seizures to the driveshaft

How quaint-its a 1150

Progress for you !!

Did BMW pay up?

I cannot see the pictures.

My last 1200 (2018 model) had the whole lot stripped out at 2 years old at 8500 miles when they were checking out the drive train and replacing the clutch pack, bike was never offroad, the shaft seals were intact and the bike was immaculate.

Took mechanics 2 hours extra (and an awful lot of cursing and swearing ) because the shaft was siezed solid and rust covered , water must be getting in somewhere

I cannot see the pictures.

Count yerself lucky then because the fucking things are taking up the whole page due to folk quoting the post and not editing the pics out.
We`ve seen the pics once we don`t need to see them multiple times!

Back
Top Bottom