BMW 1250 Technical Recall

Nothing to worry about. Its not a recall it is a service notification as explained in the video. Don't panic :)

I was thinking of making the same modification myself, after the end of the warranty period.
This way I will let them do it as my bike is certainly candidate for the modification (January 2021).

Is there someone that has it in his bike? Because even 2022 bikes don't have this mod.

In the US forum, there is a member that has just replied. His one is 04/22 built and has the hole with the valve.

It's taken nine years to discover this? Surely the 1200s are affected also?

It seems BMW issued a modification notice 0033130000 (for those who don't do youtube) for the pre 2022 R1250GS to have the little venting valve fitted to the cardan shaft housing as per the BookFace photo above. Can't see how the GS is the only bike affected, surely we will find the mod being useful in several models with the same shaft drive set up.

So they've finally admitted their design fault which has cost so many so much. I look forward to reimbursement for cost of replacing the seized shaft on my 1200GSA.

So they've finally admitted their design fault which has cost so many so much. I look forward to reimbursement for cost of replacing the seized shaft on my 1200GSA.

On my 2019 GSA I’ve just had everything from the output shaft back replaced under warranty as the forward universal joint failed damaging the swing arm. On inspection the final drive was badly corroded as well. The replacement swing arm housing has the rubber valve as per the FB pic.

On my 2019 GSA I’ve just had everything from the output shaft back replaced under warranty as the forward universal joint failed damaging the swing arm. On inspection the final drive was badly corroded as well. The replacement swing arm housing has the rubber valve as per the FB pic.

I can only imagine that BMW in NZ are more respectful and appreciative of their customers. My bike was covered under a BMW extended warranty which I had bought but they argued that the shaft wasn't covered. When i took it further they decided to provide necessary parts (£2,000) and I paid £260 labour. I had to really argue to get this offer for what is a design fault.

My GS was registered & collected yesterday
I’ve no idea how to find out when it was built but the date on the tyres is 2147
Anyway it has the rubber valve thingy under the swingarm

There are no open safety related recalls or technical enhancements on this vehicle

that what it says about my bike a r1250gs year 2021,and yet it does not have the bung underneath.

that said as i have no intention of going off road do i realy want them drilling a hole in my swingarm

There are no open safety related recalls or technical enhancements on this vehicle

that what it says about my bike a r1250gs year 2021,and yet it does not have the bung underneath.

that said as i have no intention of going off road do i realy want them drilling a hole in my swingarm

Yes you do.
It will be covered by warranty. If you had a driveshaft issue further down the road will BMW still cover you because you declined an update?
Speak to your dealership.

Doesn't metter if you go offroad or no. This recall solves the problem of water collecting in that area and rusting out the u-joints and splines. The valve would let you purge the water. The water collected inside the drive shaft housing entered on heavy rain, car wash, condensation etc. Has nothing to do with offroading.

I also have a 2021 1250GS with no bung underneath. There are no open recalls or technical enhancements available for mine either! I have contacted BMW Motorrad customer services who did the same check as me and confirmed this! I suspect that the dealer will say the same thing so that may be my next port of call. I don't think that many people would refuse a recall if offered one, it's just that it's not available at present.

Back
Top Bottom