BMW 1250 Technical Recall

Just seen this on youtube;

Looks like a tacho reading final speed and is that a linear potentiometer holding up the final drive housing?
Any `notchyness` indicating a failing driveshaft would present itself as movement in the final drive?

I wonder what they`re gonna` say when they see i`ve swapped my less-than-a-year-old GSA`s 2.91 final drive to an RT`s 2.75................?

Just seen this on youtube;

Looks like a tacho reading final speed and is that a linear potentiometer holding up the final drive housing?
Any `notchyness` indicating a failing driveshaft would present itself as movement in the final drive?

I wonder what they`re gonna` say when they see i`ve swapped my less-than-a-year-old GSA`s 2.91 final drive to an RT`s 2.75................?

Nothing, but if it fails you'll get fitted what was supplied with the bike when purchased

3000 mainly dry miles, shaft replaced due to having a notch in it. Apparently, this issue is not unique, and the inspection is actually for rust, notching and/or the wrong type of grease having been applied in production.

Mod done today and my cardon shaft had to be replaced. 1 year old, 6500 miles and I stripped and greased it straight after its 600 mile service, but still failed the test.
Can’t fault Williams n Manchester. They even fitted new inlet and exhaust cams on left and right cycl, all the rocker arms and friction plates.

This must be costing BMW a fortune.

The initial reaction from BMW was 'I'm confident we haven't caused that' but after a conversation with the tech who caused the damage they've now agreed to polish them out or repaint.

Mine ended up being repainted by the dealer.

I question the durability of the valve long term though - I haven't tested this yet, but suspect that it will end up being pushed back inside or fall out of the shaft drive when I clean the bike and forget its there. Friction fit doesn't seem like a well thought through solution to me.

I got my bike back on Friday of last week, with a new cardan tunnel, supposedly. To my utter amazement that was also scratched!! This is hard to believe that for the 3rd time they have returned my bike to me with a scratched swing arm. I actually asked the service manager if anyone ever thought of inspecting the bike before returning to me?

So now they are ordering a ''new one'' from Germany, will take around 10 days to come apparently. Will keep you posted.

Hi All. New to forum. Was on a GS forum years ago but simply can't remember if it was this one! TCALSS, bought 1250 Rallye (privately) in August but first proper ride began on 9th Sept down to Pyrenees. Bike was brill.! 1770 miles all good, though noticed left cylinder getting noisy-ish.
Bike was booked in for the drain plug on 21st at Chandlers in Brighton. Mentioned the noise and that I'd read about the cam chain mod. They mentioned the shaft check. Took bike to them, they checked noise and replaced with updated cam tensioner.
Checked shaft, which was measured as out of spec and replaced it. Did the drain mod too Only marks I found were from grease smears. So all in all, very happy with BMW and their service.
No noise and driveline feels smoother, especially on a closed throttle, decelerating on engine braking.

Bike is a 2020 with, now, 23000mls

I'm wondering why this "recall" doesn't apply to my R1250RS ? Yes the suspension travel may be a bit shorter, but it's essentially the same bike mechanically ??

I'm wondering why this "recall" doesn't apply to my R1250RS ? Yes the suspension travel may be a bit shorter, but it's essentially the same bike mechanically ??

Because it's not a recall ;) it's a technical campaign,

have you tried asking the dealer ?

Ive asked BMW (our fleet contact), why this only impacts RTp and not our normal RTs. Silence is golden, golden :)

I got my bike back on Friday of last week, with a new cardan tunnel, supposedly. To my utter amazement that was also scratched!! This is hard to believe that for the 3rd time they have returned my bike to me with a scratched swing arm. I actually asked the service manager if anyone ever thought of inspecting the bike before returning to me?

So now they are ordering a ''new one'' from Germany, will take around 10 days to come apparently. Will keep you posted.

Well the 10 days have well and truly passed! 20 days in fact, no comms from dealer so I rang again, service manager come out with some story about an internal email the order is still on and hasn't ''dropped off'' and it should be with him in 10 days, he will then arrange to pick up my bike and get it sorted. This really is piss poor service!

I wouldn't bother! Had mine in no issues with shaft as no doubt will be the case for most. However they've drilled a hole and stuck in a grommet with a flappy valve. (Which will clog up almost immediately) don't try and clean it though - I did with a soft sponge and it disappeared into the shaft. On digging it out again, with tweezers, a load of metal swarf also dropped out - not filling me with confidence. Why is it not secured?

the new triumph tiger 1200 has something similar, there were or are issues with the gromit/plug falling out (oooh cheese gromit) and fliud being spread over the rear of the bike
the fix was sealant/gasket paste and a packet of spare ones

i only know as i was thinking of buying one instead of the GSA so was on the forum

i don't see why it wouldn't work on the gs/a

Well the 10 days have well and truly passed! 20 days in fact, no comms from dealer so I rang again, service manager come out with some story about an internal email the order is still on and hasn't ''dropped off'' and it should be with him in 10 days, he will then arrange to pick up my bike and get it sorted. This really is piss poor service!

Finally been contacted by dealer, they are picking my bike up next Monday. Let's hope it's 3rd time luck!

Technical enhancement.Drill a hole leaving uneccessary marks on swinging arm and leave the swarf inside. Fit a rubber valve that doesnt stay in place and hope it drains the water that shouldnt be in there in the first place.
Turn the drive shaft with a fucking drill and try and decide wether its semi seized or not using some Dr Who scope thing instead of inspecting it properly. Technical? No. Enhancement? No...what a crock of shit.

Technical enhancement.Drill a hole leaving uneccessary marks on swinging arm and leave the swarf inside. Fit a rubber valve that doesnt stay in place and hope it drains the water that shouldnt be in there in the first place.
Turn the drive shaft with a fucking drill and try and decide wether its semi seized or not using some Dr Who scope thing instead of inspecting it properly. Technical? No. Enhancement? No...what a crock of shit.

Perfect summary.

To leave swarf inside the arm is just complete incompetence.

This is a much neater solution to the swing arm water ingress problem, just unscrew the stainless steel torx screw after power washing, a river crossing, or once a month to guard against condensation over Winter to let the water out. No rubber beak to get knocked off or pushed inside swing arm.
88f280126269f9bca9456cd030c14da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

This is a much neater solution to the swing arm water ingress problem, just unscrew the stainless steel torx screw after power washing, a river crossing, or once a month to guard against condensation over Winter to let the water out. No rubber beak to get knocked off or pushed inside swing arm.
88f280126269f9bca9456cd030c14da3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Nice...original equipment screw as well! One of the better engineered parts on a modern steed.

Back
Top Bottom